Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Mar 19, 2023, 05:31
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 March 2023 CE
Mar 19, 2023, 01:27
The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band – Volume 1

King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard – Flying Microtonal Banana (Explorations Into Microtonal Tuning Volume 1)

Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow

Ennio Morricone – L'Uccello Dalle Piume Di Cristallo

The Ventures - $1,000,000 Weekend

Fairport Convention - Heyday, BBC Radio Sessions 1968-69

Fairport Convention - What We Did on Our Holidays

Windy & Carl - Portal

Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein – Stranger Things - Volume One (A Netflix Original Series)

The Pentangle - Sweet Child

Lindisfarne - Fog on the Tyne

The Blue Things - The Blue Things Story

Blue Cheer - Good Times Are So Hard to Find, The History of Blue Cheer

Weather Report - st

Weather Report - Night Passage

Canned Heat - Uncanned, The Best of Canned Heat (disc 1)

Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy

Joe Maphis - Flying Fingers

Strawbs - st

Strawbs - From the Witchwood

V.A. - English Freakbeat Vol. 4

V.A. – Electric Psychedelic Sitar Headswirlers Vol. 3

V.A. – Psychedelia At Abbey Road (1965 To 1969)

V.A. – Friday At The Hideout
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 March 2023 CE
Mar 19, 2023, 09:48
This week’s spins:

Van Morrison ‘Moving On Skiffle’ - a somewhat treadmill run through of 23 blues, country and traditional songs by Van the Man, best listened to in four or five track bursts to avoid boredom. Like his ‘Latest Record Project’ of a couple of years back, there’s too much music here and not everything comes up to scratch. But when it’s good, it’s good;

UB40 ‘Signing Off’ - this takes me back to my student years. UB40 were so vital an element of the early 80s zeitgeist that their subsequent selling out to the mainstream seems more unforgivable than most of their contemporaries, to me anyway. Remember them this way;

Sleaford Mods ‘UK Grim’ - Jason’s in a bad mood again, and don’t we just love it;

Wire ‘Chairs Missing’ - post punk while punk was still ongoing; simultaneously tight yet delightfully shambolic. Nothing and no-one sounded like this;

Traffic ‘When The Eagle Flies’ - this has grown on me over the years, to the point where I think it worthy to rank alongside Traffic’s first two albums artistically. Having a dedicated bass player in Rosko Gee adds immeasurably to the record’s appeal, and ‘Dream Gerrard’ is a measured, unsung epic;

Steve Winwood ‘About Time’ - the earliest of just two albums of new material that Winwood’s put out in the 21st century has an appealing latin feel with the main man’s voice and mighty Hammond on stellar form;

Cinerama ‘Valentina’ - alternative version of the Weddoes’ 2012 album with a MOR feel. I prefer the original, but Gedge’s songs can more than withstand what are sometimes OTT arrangements;

Stray Cats ‘Rant n Rave With The Stray Cats’ - their third album was their rockinest. Teenage rebels rule ok;

Bruce Springsteen ‘Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ’ - fifty years on, this remains an auspicious debut. He’s in much richer voice in his old age but these early songs still define his greatness IMHO;

Sweet ‘Sweet Fanny Adams’ - classy 70s metal is all. (The) Sweet were a much heavier band than their cheesy early 45s suggested and this, their second album, rocks hard, loud, and distinctly around a brief pop core;

Pat Benatar ‘In The Heat Of The Night’ - Pat’s early albums exhibited a fine, wide ranging rock voice allied to some decent hard rocking songs. Her debut remains her best, I think;

Nala Sinephro ‘Space 1.8’ - mesmerising ambient jazz (though not everything here is quiet) covering a whole world of sound and moods;

Joe Henderson ‘In ‘n Out’ - classic early Blue Note session with an ace quintet including Coltrane moonlighters McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones;

Marc Johnson ‘Overpass’ - I’m in awe of anyone who can make a whole album of just double bass sound vital and interesting. In the past, Dave Holland and Gary Peacock did it and so now, for the same label, has Marc Johnson. This is the most intriguing music I’ve played this week;

Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.1 (Eschenbach/BPO/Karajan) - unashamedly old school, leisurely and romantic approach to LVB’s C major concerto, from a sadly long-gone era when the Berlin Phil was truly awesome;

Bruckner: Symphony no.9 (VPO/Mehta) - one of Zubin Mehta’s earliest records, featuring another once legendary orchestra at its peak. The symphony is given a steady, romantic airing, lacking some of the monumentalism of the finest accounts, but highly engrossing nonetheless;

Wagner: Rienzi Overture/Mozart: Piano Concerto no.26 (w. Alicia de Larrocha)/Shostakovich: Symphony no.15 (VPO or COE or CSO all cond. Solti) - Solti’s posthumous reputation is unfairly biased towards his Wagner Ring, but he was an equally fine conductor of orchestral music. His Shost 15, one of Solti’s very last recordings, makes a stronger case for this strange work than any other I know. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing these records;

Shostakovich: Symphony no.10 (BPO/Karajan) - so strong is Karajan’s conception of this mighty symphony it’s a shame that he never recorded any of the other fourteen. This is the earlier, and best, of his two recordings;

Beethoven: Piano Trio no.7, ‘Archduke’ (Beaux Arts Trio) - one of those records where everything just seems right: music, performance, recording. Life is good;

Haydn: String Quartet Op.9 no.6 (Festetics Quartet) - idiomatic and thoroughly satisfying take on one of Haydn’s earliest quartet masterpieces, played on period strings without sourness. I’ve just ordered the Festetics’ complete Haydn quartets box on the strength of this.

Too hip, gotta go.

May your week go sweetly

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Mar 19, 2023, 10:18
The Beach Boys - Smile (soniclovenoize) / Smiley Smile / Friends

The Beau Brummels - Triangle (mono)

Blondie - S/t / Plastic Letters / Eat To The Beat

David Bowie - Exposed Live (Lorelay 1995) / Outside In Budapest 1997

Brast Burn - Debon

Broadcast - Ha Ha Sound / Tender Buttons

Julian Cope - Citizen Cain'd / Dark Orgasm / Concert Climax / Woden
Brain Donor - Love, Peace & Fuck

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew / Greatest Hits

Faust - S/t / So Far

The Focus Group - Sketches & Spells / We Are All Pan's People / Hey! Let Loose Your Love

The Future Sound Of London/ Amorphous Androgynous - Tales Of Ephidrina / Dead Cities

Pink Floyd - More / Ummagumma / Zambriskie Point OST (soniclovenoize) / The Man & The Journey: Amsterdam 1969

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - S/t (1976) / Rock'n'Roll With The Modern Lovers / Modern Lovers Live

Shamen - En-Tact

Sonic Youth - Goo / Dirty / Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star

David Sylvian - Alchemy: An Index Of Possibilities / Approaching Silence

Throbbing Gristle - Journey Through A Body / Live December 2004: A Souvenir Of Camber Sands / The Taste Of TG

Tomorrow - S/t

The Velvet Underground - ... & Nico (mono) / 1969
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Edited Mar 19, 2023, 10:47
Mar 19, 2023, 10:46
Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'

Roxy Music - Roxy Music
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Roxy Music - Stranded

Elton John - Sleeping With The Past
Elton John - The One
Elton John - Made In England
Elton John - The Big Picture (hadn't listened to this period of Elton for years - they all have their merits as well as dated elements, but Made In England wins out, despite its annoying title track, thanks to the return to the fold of ace arranger Paul Buckmaster)

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
Kate Bush - The Sensual World
Kate Bush - The Red Shoes
Kate Bush - Director's Cut (can't quite see the point of this last release as the new versions aren't drastic improvements - in fact the remake of The Sensual World is vastly inferior - and the sound quality is terribly muddy)

Sparks - Angst In My Pants
Sparks - Sparks In Outer Space
Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat

Focus - Focus 3

Vangelis - Direct
Vangelis - The City
Vangelis - 1492: Conquest Of Paradise
Vangelis - Frankenstein: The Modern Prometheus

Prince - Purple Rain
Prince - Around The World In A Day
Prince - Parade
Prince - Sign 'O' The Times

Roy Orbison - At The Rock House
Roy Orbison - Lonely & Blue
Roy Orbison - Crying
Roy Orbison - In Dreams
Roy Orbison - Orbisongs

David Bowie - Toy
David Bowie - Heathen
David Bowie - Reality

Mussorgsky/Ravel - Pictures At An Exhibition/Bolero (Berlin Phliharmonic/Von Karajan) (the Deutsche Grammaphon LP I grew up listening to - couldn't resist buying my own copy for 33 1/3p in a Hounslow charity shop)

Julian Cope - You Gotta Problem With Me

Bonzo Dog Band - The Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse (the Bonzos rock a bit more on this one, and My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe always brings great cheer)
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Mar 19, 2023, 22:19
Mar 19, 2023, 22:13
Alan Stivell - Olympia Concert (Live in Paris 1972). An uplifting set comprising sensitively arranged traditional folk songs (Breton, Irish, Hebridean). Nothing showy here - just held back, felt musicianship of a folkrock flavour, heavy on the folk.

The Johnstons - The Johnstons / The Barley Corn
"The Lark In The Morning" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWKeDCHY0A

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs. Not listened to this one much before, if ever. The percussion was too 'trainlike with other environmental sound distractions', which I found to be an almost unbearable intrusion. I listened to Hail To The Thief straight afterwards and immediately reconnected - I prefer my Radiohead to be 'rock and/or quiet'.

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief. Thank God.
"2 + 2 = 5" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w6kHS_IRrE

Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem (La Chapelle Royale + Collegium Vocale Gent / Orchestre des Champs-Élysées / Philippe Herreweghe / Christiane Oelze (soprano) / Gerald Finlay (baritone))

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Major (Wiener Philharmoniker / Eugen Jochum / Maurizio Pollini)

Beethoven / Bartók / Debussy / Bartók - "Kreutzer" Sonata No. 9 in A Major / Rhapsody No. 1 for Violin and Piano / Sonata for Violin and Piano / Second Sonata for Violin and Piano (Joseph Szigeti / Béla Bartók). Recorded at the Library of Congress, Washington D.C., April 1940, the same year composer/pianist Bartók emigrated from Hungary in protest at its Anschluss with Germany. The Jewish Szigeti had emigrated to the USA the year before, to escape persecution and the war. (Both musicians had acted in accordance with their anti-fascist stance throughout the '30s.)
""Kreutzer", 1st Movt." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZG2iKESTLk

Youtube

Andy Irvine & Paul Brady - RTÉ Documentary on the making of their 1976 album.

Sham 69 - Tell Us The Truth, Arena documentary (1979)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm6-KpyBohc

John Peel's Sounds Of The Suburbs (Channel 4, 1999) - Oxford
Part 1/2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIchJ4PmM8A
" - Cornwall
Part 1/2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMxIEfmCzI
" Humberside
" Bradford
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Mar 22, 2023, 11:43