Steeleye Span – Ten Man Mop Or Mr. Reservoir Butler Rides Again

Steeleye Span - Parcel of Rogues

Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six

Steeleye Span - Commoners Crown

Lindisfarne - Nicely Out of Tune

Jan Dukes De Grey – Mice And Rats in the Loft

The Durutti Column - The Return of The Durutti Column

The Durutti Column - LC

The Lemon Drops – Crystal Pure (The Definitive Collection)

Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out

Blodwyn Pig - Getting to This

The Gurus - The Gurus Are Hear!

Wayne Shorter - "Speak No Evil"

Weather Report - Sweetnighter

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Magazine - The Correct Use of Soap

Espers - st

Ennio Morricone - Il Gatto

The Pigs - 1977

The Yardbirds - Over Under Sideways Down (Raven)

V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1904 "Call It the Land of Dreams"

V.A. King Bennie Nawahi – Hawaiian String Virtuoso (Acoustic Steel Guitar Classics From The 1920's)

V.A. - AM Gold 1967
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 March 2023 CE
Mar 05, 2023, 07:52
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

McDonald and Giles - S/T

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

The Johnstons - The Johnstons / The Barley Corn. Two albums on one CD. I wish the Gaelic language version (the one I heard first, taping it from a folk music radio show in Ireland thirty years ago) of one song could be added as a bonus track on CD someday. The lyrics to the two versions seem to have different subject matter - though with a similar meaning and message - and therefore could be two different songs set to the same music, which is common in Irish folk. As much as I love Paul Brady, and his voice, I prefer the arrangement in the Gaelic version, with the Johnston sisters' voices to the fore and with more vocal harmonies: I also like not understanding the language.
"Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lVXzNWI3TY
"Gleanntáin Ghlas' Ghaoth Dobhair" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jZoPA1gPUU

The Bothy Band - 1975

Silmaril - The Voyage Of Icarus. A compilation CD featuring songs from Silmaril's two early '70's albums, TVOI features beautiful Tolkein and Christianity infused psychfolk. With both male and female lead vocals.
"Not Enough" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhrty3_0f0I
"Windbridge" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsuvdBvltlw

Pentangle - Cruel Sister

The Pentangle - Solomon's Seal

Robin Williamson & His Merry Band - A Glint At The Kindling / Five Bardic Mysteries. A CD reissue of AGATK + FBM, 5 bonus poetry tracks originally released on cassette only in 1985.
"Me And The Mad Girl" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YImzqgYWkI

The Rolling Stones - Out Of Our Heads (UK version)

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - The Best Years Of Our Lives

Art Abscons - Les Sentiers Éternels
"Das Seltsame Jahr" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu73dvzSLdM

Pulp - Different Class

V/A - Acid: The Final Frontier box set
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2023, 08:57
Mar 05, 2023, 08:56
Peter Bellamy - Oak, Ash & Thorn / Merlin's Isle Of Gramayre

The Bevis Frond - Any Gas Faster / New River Head

Julian Cope - Rite At Ya / Skellington 3 / Self Civil War / England Expectorates
Dope - Dope On Drugs / Village Idiot Dope

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables / Frankenchrist

Gong - Magick Brother / Camembert Electrique

Groundhogs - Groundhogs Best 1969-72

Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi / Crossings / Sextant / Head Hunters

Bo Hansson - Music Inspired By Lord Of The Rings / Music Inspired By Watership Down

Hapshash & The Coloured Coat - Featuring The Human Host & Heavy Metal Kids / Western Flyer

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? / Axis: Bold As Love / Electric Ladyland

Robyn Hitchcock - The Kershaw Sessions / Uncorrected Personality Traits

Kaleidoscope - Pulsating Dreams

Ustad Sultan Khan & Ustad Zakir Husain - Sur Taal

The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies / State Of Confusion

Charlie Mingus - Candid Recordings Part Two / The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady / Mingus (x5)

Neu! - Neu! 2 / Neu! '75

Frank Zappa/ Mothers - Uncle Meat / Hot Rats / Burnt Weany Sandwich / Weasels Ripped My Flesh / Chunga's Revenge / Fillmore East, June 1971

Tom Ze - Com Deifeito De Fabocacao / Post Modern Platos

V/A

Barry's 7's Connectors

Death Disco (Mojo)

Next Stop ... Soweto

Psychedelic Pernambuco
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2023, 09:04
Mar 05, 2023, 09:02
Ian Matthews ‘Valley Hi’ - 1973 solo album by the ex-Fairports man, carrying on the country rock feel of its producer Michael Nesmith, ably abetted by his great slide man Red Rhodes. An unsung gem;

Lou Reed S/T - solo debut that doesn’t fall far short of ‘Transformer’ to these ears;

Neil Young ‘Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere’ - setting the tone from which Young’s rarely strayed in over fifty years of Crazy Horse collaborations, this defies time and criticism. You either get him, or you don’t;

Jim Capaldi ‘Fierce Heart’ - dated 80s keyboards and production (much akin to collaborator Steve Winwood’s records of the time) don’t nullify some great songs on this forgotten album. I very much enjoyed this;

The Jam ‘Sound Affects’ - still fresh sounding 43 years on. Mind you, I can never understand how George Harrison (himself having lost a plagiarism case) didn’t challenge for a songwriting credit on ‘Start’;

The Kinks ‘Arthur’ - I think Ray Davies peaked around the late sixties when this peach was unleashed upon a largely indifferent market;

Ian Gillan Band ‘The Rockfield Mixes’ - alternative mixes on what became IGB’s ‘Clear Air Turbulence’ album, a jazz rock set that hasn’t dated particularly well but which I still enjoy, especially in this brassier form;

Bob Dylan ‘Time Out Of Mind’ (2022 remix) - I like this more than I did the 1997 original. Maybe I needed to reach a similar age to fully appreciate it;

Magazine ‘Secondhand Daylight’ - their masterpiece: a record that sounds like nothing else before or since; far more prog than punk, and produced in such a way that it still sounds modern. They should have been massive;

Caravan ‘Waterloo Lily’ - quite the jazziest of Caravan’s LPs, mainly due to the electric piano of Steve Miller (RIP) who lasted only one album with the band. I’ve tended to underrate ‘Waterloo Lily’ in comparison to its better known preceding and following records but no more: this is an excellent album with all of Caravan’s prog, pop and whimsy in place alongside the same improvisatory groove that Soft Machine were pursuing around the same time;

Edgar Winter Group ‘They Only Come Out At Night’ - Ronnie Montrose caught in rude form just before he formed his own, self-named band was just one part of Winter’s post-White Trash combo. This is known for the unrepresentative (but great) ‘Frankenstein’, but is otherwise a decent straight rock and roll album with Doobies, Eagles, Aerosmith and Santana influences;

Matthews’ Southern Comfort S/T - like a lost Fairports album. Which I guess is effectively what it is;

Uriah Heep ‘Abominog’ and ‘Head First’ - Heep’s early 80s AOR phase is less embarrassing than it could have been, not least because of Pete Goalby’s great vocals. And there are some great songs here too;

Beethoven: Overture ‘Fidelio’ (Zurich Tonhalle/Zinman) - red hot interpretation of extremes, dead slow then very fast by turns, and very exciting;

Beethoven: String Quartet no.13, Op.130 & Grosse Fuge, Op.133 (Calidore String Quartet) - supercharged performance by one of the most promising young quartets in years. Their Grosse Fuge has them chasing and competing with each other: a real battle of wits and quite the best version I’ve ever heard;

Tchaikovsky and Sibelius: Violin Concertos (Batiashvili/Staatskapelle Berlin/Barenboim) - stately, civilised performances from a talented Georgian violinist and the living legend that is Daniel Barenboim. I hope the latter’s recently announced health problems are temporary;

Vaughan Williams: Tallis Fantasia (Pittsburgh SO/William Steinberg) - I played this last week as well and something about it just gelled with me. It’s a quarter hour of string perfection: autumnal, elegiac, and just plain lovely - especially in this 66 year old recording;

Albeniz: Iberia (Artur Pizarro) - stunningly played and recorded take on Albeniz’ piano epic.

We’re up in the air
We’re down on the ground.

Happy trails

Dave x
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2023, 09:40
Mar 05, 2023, 09:39
"Hapshash & The Coloured Coat - Featuring The Human Host & Heavy Metal Kids"

Never heard of this before. Listening now on Youtube. One of the comments:

"My Dad did the cover art, my Mum contributed some backing vocals (along with my auntie Sue).

That is all."
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Mar 05, 2023, 10:59
"Ustad Sultan Khan & Ustad Zakir Husain - Sur Taal"

I hadn't heard of that, either. It caught my eye as I thought its subject matter might be that of an Estonian story / short film, but I've just checked and that is called "Suur Töll".

Sur apparently corresponds to a musical note, and Taal to the beat or rhythm in, I think, Sanskrit. The Estonian translates as 'big mess' which I've interpreted as '(a) heavy toll'.

This short (14 mins) animation film is outstanding, as is its soundtrack which is reminiscent of Children Of The Stones' in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DUhv7lTAuk (1980)
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Mar 05, 2023, 11:04
Army Of Moths: 'Sorry To Disturb You'

Seaming To: 'Seaming' (debut album) and 'The Remix Album'

Anadol: 'Felicita' and 'Uzun Havalar'

Julia Holter: 'In The Same Room' and 'Aviary'

The Wonder Stuff: 'Cursed With Insincinerity'

Acid Mothers Temple: 'Underground Freak Out EP'

Jacknife Lee: 'Punk Rock High Roller'

Various Artistes: Crab Nebula (Fruits de Mer label sampler)

vert:x: 'HED'
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2023, 15:26
Mar 05, 2023, 15:25
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Simon & Garfunkel - Live 1969
Simon & Garfunkel - Old Friends: Live On Stage (saw them on this 2004 tour, nice to revisit this. The vocals are a bit lacklustre at times, but very committed at others, particularly on the Bridge Over Troubled Water material, and the band rocks a lot more than on the famous Central Park gig. The banter is amusing and it was great to see the Everlys too).

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
The Beatles - Beatles For Sale
The Beatles - The Beatles In Italy

Kate Bush - Never For Ever

The Supremes - New Ways But Love Stays
The Supremes - Touch
The Supremes - This Is The Story: The 70s Anthology (still startled by 'All I Want', which is Stereolab 20 years early:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_BiOHQq3B0 Partly explained by producer Jimmy Webb sampling his own 'Up Up & Away' as the 'Lab did with Ping Pong, but where did that motorik beat come from? Had he been listening to Neu!? In 1972 that would be quite something).

Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than A Death In The Family
Les Rallizes Denudes - Blind Baby Has Its Mother's Eyes (not sure what's happened to the official Rallizes releases, but these will probably always be my favourites. The sound of glorious oblivion).

Vangelis - Themes
Vangelis - Antarctica
Vangelis - The Bounty

David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise
David Bowie - The Buddah Of Suburbia
David Bowie - Outside (Bowie took a while to get into his stride in the 90s, but Outside is one of his best, a sprawling concept album, twice as long as Diamond Dogs, but more consistent in my opinion).

The Everly Brothers - Dream: The Best Of The Everly Brothers 1957-1960
The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back: The Everly Brothers On Warner Bros. 1960 To 1969
The Everly Brothers - The Everly Brothers Show (nice as it was to see the Everlys in 2004, this would have been the best time to see them - a real devil-may-care almost punk attitude took hold of them at the start of the 70s, and it's great).

Sparks - Indiscreet
Sparks - Big Beat
Sparks - Introducing (also watched The Sparks Brothers movie - as eccentric and entertaining as you'd expect. Particularly enjoyed the coverage of their early years and the discovery of this 1967 oddity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DDqIWwp82c)

Elvis Presley - Our Memories Of Elvis
Elvis Presley - Our Memories Of Elvis Volume 2 (got these as a special deal in my local record shop - a nice attempt to present his later recordings in stripped down form as something for the fans in the years immediately following his death. The full 11 minute jam through Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' is particularly delightful - the sound of Elvis singing something for the sheer pleasure of it and not wanting to stop).

Larry Williams - The Fabulous...

Little Richard - The Fabulous...

Carl Perkins - Boppin' Blue Suede Shoes

Julian Cope - Interpreter

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Gorilla
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Mar 05, 2023, 16:08
Dog in fog wrote:
"Ustad Sultan Khan & Ustad Zakir Husain - Sur Taal"

I hadn't heard of that, either. It caught my eye as I thought its subject matter might be that of an Estonian story / short film, but I've just checked and that is called "Suur Töll".

Sur apparently corresponds to a musical note, and Taal to the beat or rhythm in, I think, Sanskrit. The Estonian translates as 'big mess' which I've interpreted as '(a) heavy toll'.

This short (14 mins) animation film is outstanding, as is its soundtrack which is reminiscent of Children Of The Stones' in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DUhv7lTAuk (1980)

Thanks for the info. That's really informative. I honestly did not know anything about it. A flatmate about 25 years ago left me with the cd, they might even have gotten it from India. Nice for meditative/ background music - for the case of last week - it was on my headphones when working on spreadsheets at work. Will check out the animation - which reminds me I have still to watch Children Of The Stones - been on my to do list for several years ...
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Mar 05, 2023, 16:11
Dog in fog wrote:
"Hapshash & The Coloured Coat - Featuring The Human Host & Heavy Metal Kids"

Never heard of this before. Listening now on Youtube. One of the comments:

"My Dad did the cover art, my Mum contributed some backing vocals (along with my auntie Sue).

That is all."

It's a nice jam isn't it - Western Flier is a lovely album. That comment is classic! Hope it's genuine!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index