2389 posts

Edited Feb 20, 2023, 17:33
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 February 2023 CE
Feb 19, 2023, 04:33
The Shadows of Knight – Dark Sides • The Best of The Shadows of Knight

Roky Erickson - Two Headed Dogs EP

Roky Erickson - You're Gonna Miss Me • The Best of Roky Erickson

Steeleye Span - Below the Salt

Steeleye Span - Spanning the Years (disc 2)

The Monkees - st (mono)

The Standells - Dirty Water

The Standells - The Best of The Standells

Tears For Fears - Everybody Loves a Happy Ending

The Woolies - Ride Ride Ride

Kiss - Hotter Than Hell

Michael Nyman, John Lenehan, Simon Haram, Ulster Orchestra, Takuo Yuasa – The Piano Concerto - Where The Bee Dances (For Saxophone And Orchestra)

Vagn Holmboe, The Danish Radio Sinfonietta, Hannu Koivula – Complete Chamber Concertos, Vol. 2, Nos. 4-6

V.A. - Circus Days Vol. 1 & 2 Pop-Sike 1966-1970
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 February 2023 CE
Feb 19, 2023, 09:31
This week’s sounds:

Bob Dylan ‘Fragments’ - I had a very enjoyable evening this week playing this new box set dedicated to ‘Time Out Of Mind’, its outtakes and alternate versions. As always seems the way with Dylan’s later albums, there’s a strong case for an even finer track list than the record as it was originally released but hey, we’ve got it now - and in incredibly vivid sound. I’ve still to spin the live discs;

Killing Joke ‘what’s THIS for…!’ - if a record can still pin me to the wall when I’m over three times as old as when I first heard it, it must have something. Oh my. Adam and the Ants on steroids;

Man ‘Endangered Species’ - 2000 saw the last Manband studio album to feature the classic axe pairing of Mickey Jones and Deke Leonard, a real slow burner of a record with a warm vibe that transcends some not immediately memorable tracks. The closing ‘Love Isn’t Love’ is a diamond, featuring Deke spitting out its bitter words with aplomb. I was lucky enough to catch Man on the supporting tour and it was one of those great musical nights that resonate forever thereafter. RIP Micky, Deke and Phil Ryan;

Van Morrison ‘Moondance’ - for no good reason I hadn’t played this for decades. And it stoned me to my soul;

Van Morrison ‘No Guru, No Method, No Teacher’ - Van had a much stronger 80s than most of his contemporaries, as this fine 1986 record exemplifies;

Sleaford Mods ‘Jobseeker’ EP - still raises a smile ten years on. Can of Strongbow, I’m a mess;

Richard & Linda Thompson ‘Sunnyvista’ - the couple’s penultimate album is mainstream pop/rock rather than folky in feel; good, but not great;

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club ‘B.R.M.C.’ - another CD that’d gathered dust, and I don’t know why - other than having amassed more records than I can ever realistically hope of having time to play again. This refreshed the lugs most agreeably. There are probably a million bands that sound like this, but whatever. This is excellent guitar based rock and roll with just enough darkness to sustain interest;

The Proclaimers ‘This Is The Story’ - setting the standards and sound that Charlie and Craig have stuck to ever after, their power ever more acute with minimal instrumentation as here;

Otis Redding ‘Otis Blue’ - what do you expect - criticism? Well okay then: the voice is sublime, the horn section sloppily cool, the groove irresistible, the whole much greater than the sum of its parts;

Yes S/T - Peter Banks is a contender for prog’s most underrated guitarist. Summarily dismissed from Yes after just two albums, his jazzy legacy shines on their debut and the BBC sessions that were issued much later. I admire Steve Howe’s artistry, but not his attitude to his predecessor in later years. Whatever, ‘Yes’ is a fine memorial, from an era when “progressive rock” meant so much more than prog does now. And isn’t it a travesty that the current Yes lineup contains not one of the dudes on their debut;

Discharge ‘Fight Back’ EP - five short shots of white hot fury;

Family ‘Music In A Doll’s House’ psych classic and mellotron lover’s dream, sounding little like the rockier Family that followed. No finer album ever emanated from Leicester;

Morrissey ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’ - the album itself is good, but the six tracks on the deluxe edition bonus disc are better. In fact, they represent a solo career high as far as I’m concerned. Well worth tracking down, I think;

Elvis Presley ‘Elvis In Concert’ - posthumous release of some of Presley’s last live performances, with the King by then best heard rather than seen. He sounds tired and punch drunk, forgets his lines, but the voice still rings like a bell. There are much better live documents out there, but I still enjoyed hearing most of this;

Ennio Morricone et al ‘The Hateful Eight’ OST - Morricone’s final film score is a belter, as cold and threatening as the movie itself;

Beethoven: Symphonies 1 & 2 (Westdeutsche Sinfonia/Dirk Joeres) - good, mainstream performances, true to the score. I especially enjoyed no.2;

Beethoven: Symphony no.7 (Philharmonia/Klemperer) - tense 1960 live recording from Vienna, superior to Klemperer’s first stereo recording in feel, if not sound quality;

Beethoven: Overture ‘Fidelio’ (Philharmonia/Klemperer) - measured, powerfully teutonic approach to LvB’s fourth prelude to his only opera. Real fist clenching stuff;

Mozart: Violin Concerto no.5 (David Oistrakh/Staatskapelle Dresden/Konwitschny) - newly remastered 1956 recording by the great Ukrainian violinist. Aside from obviously dated mono sound, everything is just ticketty-boo;

Albeniz: Iberia (Alicia de Larrocha) - nigh-on definitive rendition of Albeniz’ impressionist masterpiece;

Reger: Mein Odem ist schwach, Op.110 no.1 (SWR Vokalensemble Stuttgart/Bernius) - intense, complex vocal music impeccably performed.

Love isn’t love ‘til it breaks your heart

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Feb 19, 2023, 09:52
Acid Mother's Temple & The Cosmic Inferno - Iao Chant From The Cosmic Inferno

Daevid Allen - Stoned Innocent Frankenstein (Bananamoon remixed & expanded) / Dreamin' A Dream / Bananamoon Obscura No 6: Live At The Knit, NYC (with Nicolleta Stephanz) / Sixty Minutes With ...

American Music Club - Love Songs For Patriots / The Golden Age

The Beatles - S/t / Abbey Road / Let It Be

Beautify Junkyards - The Invisible World Of ...

Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill / Psychonaut

Can - Monster Movie / Delay 1968 / Doko E

Devo - Q: Are We Not Men A: We Are Devo

Faust - S/t / So Far

Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream Of Trains / Fegmania (with The Egyptians) / Eye / I Often Dream Of Trains In New York

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

Yoko Ono/ Plastic Ono Band - S/t / Feeling The Space

Ora - S/t

Oriental Sunshine - S/t

Otto - Samba Pra Burro

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent / Introducing ...

The Peppermint Rainbow - Will You Be Staying After Sunday

Peppermint Trolley Company - Beautiful Sun

Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms

Popol Vuh - In Den Garten Pharoas / Das Hoholled Salomos

Smoke Fairies - Through Low Light & Trees

Swans - Filth / The Glowing Man / Leaving Meaning

Test Dept & Brith Gof - Gododdin

Throbbing Gristle - The Second Annual Report / Special Treatment

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life / Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants

V/A - Mindexpanders
Kwoo
60 posts

Feb 19, 2023, 10:47
Marnie Weber - Woman With Bass

Thick Pigeon - Too Crazy Cowboys + Miranda Dali

Diamanda Galas and John Paul Jones - This Sporting Life

Mostly just Marnie, tho. That album has betwitched my obsessive side.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Feb 19, 2023, 11:24
Víg Mihály - Filmzenék Tarr Béla filmjeihez
"Öreg" ("Old") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-1lh0i4Y8 from the very moving film, "Werckmeister Harmonies" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werckmeister_Harmonies

Daevid Allen - The Death Of Rock & Other Entrances. Entranced I am, especially with Tally's Birthday Song

Daevid Allen - Twelve Selves

Planxty - Between The Jigs And The Reels: A Retrospective. I didn't know about this 2016 release and nearly did a cartwheel when I found it for £7.99 in HMV this week. "A 53 track retrospective as chosen by the band, including a BONUS DVD featuring over 2 hours of previously unreleased performances from the RTÉ archives". I've been thoroughly enjoying some of these performances on Youtube for several years, but this DVD has a fair few which I've never seen before, featuring live footage from 1972, '73, '80 and '82.
Here's some (unpolished on Youtube) live footage from Ireland's Late Late Show in '72 which appears on the DVD - "The Blacksmith" (trad.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3A5Tgy47M
CD track - "Follow Me Up To Carlow" (trad.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjGD1lHx8v4 (Even though I'm English, I can appreciate a lyric such as "Rooster of a fighting stock, Would you let a Saxon cock, Crow out upon an Irish rock? Fly up and teach him manners...")

Hawkwind - Space Ritual

Hawkwind - P.X.R.5
"High Rise" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFF3LJ678kY

Iron Maiden - Killers

Ane Brun - Changing Of The Seasons
"The Fall" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyTN8OvYOlQ

Der Tod & das Mädchen - d-Moll

Oliver - Standing Stone

Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

V/A Metal Hammer - Earache Extremity Experiment

V/A - Strange Country

DVD Planxty live performances

DVD Dissection - Rebirth Of Dissection, live 2004 concert
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Feb 19, 2023, 11:43
The Church- The Hypnagogue
Brighde Chaimbeul- Carry Them With Us
Josephine Foster- Domestic Sphere
Unloved- Polychrome
Lael Neale- Star Eater's Delight
Martyna Basta- Slowly Forgetting, Barely Remembering
FVnerals- Let The Earth Be Silent
Tin Man- Arles
CEL- Gegenwelt
V/A- Echo Neuklang: Neo Kraut Sounds 1981-2023
The Smithereens- Especially For You
The Jesus & Mary Chain- Dsrklands
Felt- Gold Mine Trash
Felt- Bubblegum Perfume
Blind Faith- S/T
Mimi & Richard Farina- Celebrations For A Grey Day
Mimi & Richard Farina- Reflections In A Crystal Wind
The Incredible String Band- The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Vashti Bunyan- Another Diamond Day
Donovan- Hurdy Gurdy Man
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 19, 2023, 18:27
Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope
Regina Spektor - Home, Before, After
Nazareth - Surviving The Law
Nazareth - Rampant
Alban Berg - Violin Concerto
Harriet Birtwhistle - Trumpet Concerto
Simple Minds - Direction Of The Heart
Simple Minds - Real Life
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Easy Pieces
Bloomsday - Fortuny
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 19, 2023, 22:41
Two weeks worth here...

I Want More 12” - Blancmange
I'd not heard this 2015 single from 80's pop act Blancmange till this week, but it's a decent take on I Want More. And yes, it's that I Want More!

Mix-Up – Cabaret Voltaire
Crackdown – Cabaret Voltaire
Tick Tick Tick – Stephen Mallinder
If you liked the Cabs and haven't heard last years Mallinder album, then I'd say give it a listen. It's definitely more Crackdown than Mix-Up, but that's OK because I like both. One of my favourite albums in recent times.

Classics Rarities Revelations – Depeche Mode
Free cd with the new edition of Mojo.

At My Piano – Brian Wilson
Have you ever listened to to those classic Beach Boys recordings and thought “these sublime harmonies are all well and good, but what I really want to hear are instrumental version s on the piano”? No, me neither! To be honest they're a wee bit clunky, but not without charm even if it does bring to mind a 70's Sunday School teacher having a sneaky go at some Beach Boys songs on the chapel piano after everyone else has gone home.

Also...
Shortwave Memories - Biosphere

Rome – Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi
Cheat Codes – Danger Mouse & Black Thought

Fall Heads Roll – The Fall
Ersatz GB – The Fall

Morning/Evening – Four Tet

Chain – Paul Haig

Faking The Books – Lali Puna

Immaculate Collection – Madonna

A-Z – Colin Newman

Close To The Glass – The Notwist

S/T – The Ramones

Some Girls – The Rolling Stones

Key Of Dreams – Section 25

( ) - Sigur Ros

Empires & Dance – Simple Minds

Animals, Suns & Atoms - Tarwater
Adrift - Tarwater

Nah=Poo - The Art Of Bluff – Wah!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 20, 2023, 09:17
Empires and Dance excellent, but glad to see Paul Haig get a mention, very very underrated.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Feb 20, 2023, 15:07
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
Julian Cope - Autogeddon

Kate Bush - Early Demos
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Jon & Vangelis - Short Stories
Vangelis - See You Later
Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire
Jon & Vangelis - The Friends Of Mr Cairo
Vangelis - Blade Runner

Wet Leg - Wet Leg

Socrates - Phos

(not as much this week - had other things lined up to spin, but went to A&E with abdominal pains and was kept in hospital for a couple of days with a suspected heart attack - thankfully a false alarm!)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index