Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2390 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 August 2022 CE
Aug 21, 2022, 07:46
Thin Lizzy - Nightlife

Iron Butterfly - Live

Grateful Dead - AoxomoxoA (original mix)

The Beach Boys - Custom Comp. (Vol. 1)

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Live 1966-67

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Mirror Man

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

The Turtles - 20 Greatest Hits
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 August 2022 CE
Aug 21, 2022, 09:31
Brian Eno ‘Reflection’ - I came down with covid this week and for a couple of days couldn’t face any music but this, played at minimum volume from my smart phone. Literally endless music to drift in and out of consciousness to;
Jowe Head ‘Pincer Movement’ - silly, spiky pop and roll delivered by a great English eccentric. Great bass licks abound;
Nikki Sudden ‘The Bible Belt’ - Jowe’s former bandmate exhibits less quirkiness but more heart on his second post-Maps LP;
Julian Cope ‘Fried’ - I’ve got a lot of records, but only a few I love so much that I know their catalogue numbers. This is one of them;
Be Bop Deluxe ‘Modern Music’ - I was surprisingly underwhelmed after many years of not hearing this. Maybe it’s my 46 year old LP that’s to blame (or my 61 year old lugs), but the whole album sounded flat and dull to me;
U2 ‘An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart’ (Live) - taken from the excellent 1981 NME ‘Dancin’ Master’ cassette (which is also where I first encountered the ace French language version of ‘Treason’ btw), this has a raw intensity and emotion that I’ve never heard matched in anything U2 released since. The ‘Boy’ studio original sounds tame in comparison, as does most of the band’s output come to think of it;
Loudon Wainwright III ‘Lifetime Achievement’ - it never ceases to amaze me how young - and fresh - this old geezer still sounds. The dude’s never really progressed musically, and hasn’t needed to;
Whiskey Myers ‘Tornillo’ - not much innovation here either, but so what: I need a little southern boogie every now and again, and these guys deliver it fine here;
Gong ‘Angels Egg’ and ‘You’ - Simon Heyworth’s 2018 remasters have made the Radio Gnome trilogy sound widescreen and even more wonderful. Was there ever a greater bliss-out groove than ‘Inner Temple’? And did Gong ever have a finer drummer than Pierre Moerlen (and that’s being asked by Pip Pyle’s greatest admirer)?
Frankie Miller ‘Full House’ - Frankie’s Chris Thomas produced fourth LP is his most enduring: a short but sweet set of originals, covers and dedicated songs aptly showcasing one of the most gifted rock vocalists this sceptered isle has ever borne;
German Jazz Masters ‘Old Friends’ - thoroughly enjoyable 2000 session by a big band of luminaries such as Eberhard Weber, Manfred Schoof and Wolfgang Dauner;
Barre Phillips & Gyorgy Kurtag Jr ‘Face A Face’ - free but accessible meeting of double bass and electronics;
Sullivan: Irish Symphony (BBC
Concert Orch/Hughes) - attractive, tuneful music suitably rendered: a salutary reminder of the talents of a composer whose muse has been too long tarnished by the boorish, dated libretti of his professional partner;
Bruckner: Symphony no.0 (CSO/Solti) - easily the best version of Bruckner’s underrated ‘Nullte’ symphony I’ve heard;
Brahms: Symphony no.1 (CSO)/Mozart: Symphony no.41/Dvorak: Scherzo capriccioso (BRSO/Kubelik) - was there ever a greater Czech conductor than Rafael Kubelik? Whenever I dig out one of his many records I’m never disappointed. Great man of principle too: high time we had a decent biography;
Beethoven: Symphony no.3 and Leonore 1 Overture (Philharmonia/Klemperer) - Klemperer’s 1955 Eroica is as near damn definitive as it gets, despite its mono sound;
Mozart: Piano Concerto no.18, K 456 (Levin/AAM/Hogwood) - it is sad that Levin and Hogwood didn’t complete their Mozart Piano Concerto survey, as the performances that did emerge are chock full of character, detail and musicality. This is a good example;
Bach: Keyboard Sonatas (Trevor Pinnock) - the art of putting all the wrong notes in the right place;
Bax: Clarinet Sonata (Nash Ensemble) - beautifully elegiac English chamber music;
Bliss: Melee Fantasque (LSO/Bliss) - these days, Bliss has suffered for being too traditional for some and too adventurous for others. To me, he was one of the great English composers, and this is one of his most enjoyable scores.

In fond expectoration of Julian’s new album. (I wonder how it will compare with MERL 48?)

Have a great week everyone.

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Aug 21, 2022, 17:23
The Coral - Magic & Medicine
The Coral - Nightfreak & The Sons Of Becker

The Beach Boys - Smile
The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile
The Beach Boys - Wild Honey

The Heavy Blinkers - The Heavy Blinkers

His Name Is Alive - Stars On ESP

Paul Giovanni/Magnet - The Wicker Man (Trunk Records)

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

Paddy Kingsland - The Changes

Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like A Peasant

Elton John - Friends

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

The Doors - The Doors
The Doors - Strange Days

Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come
Anne Briggs - Sing A Song For You

Lal & Mike Waterson - Bright Phoebus

Elvis Presley - The Sun Collection

The Kinks - Percy
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Aug 21, 2022, 19:33
Abraxas- Monte Carlo
Night Crickets- A Free Society
Lumpen Nobleman- Errors and Remedies
Prolapse- Pointless Walks To Dismal Places
REM- Chronic Town EP
10cc- Deceptive Bends
David Munrow- Henry VIII and his Six Wives (S/T)
Hamilton Yarns- The Showboat's Over
Hookworms- The Hum
Hawkwind- Quark, Strangeness and Charm
Adam & The Ants- Dirk Wears White Sox
keith a
9574 posts

Aug 22, 2022, 16:55
Kudos To The... - Bomber Jackets
Drunken Songs – Julian Cope
The Rockfield Files EP - The Damned
The Tenant – Death & Vanilla
S/T – Dope
Yeti Season - El Michels Affair
Flashback - Fujiya & Myagi
New Roof EP - Karen Gwyer
Beyond The Pale – Jarv Is
A Strange Affair: The Sixties Recordings – John's Children
A Gilded Eternity - Loop
Split EP – Meddicine / Vision Fortune
Invisible Wind Factory – Mugstar & Damo Suzuki
Vertigo Days – The Notwist
Twenty One - Nova Express
Bilingual – Pet Shop Boys
Henry May Long – Max Richter
Instar - Silo
Happiness Not Included – Soft Cell
Ecopoiesis - Umwelt
Firehouse Rock - Wailing Souls
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Aug 23, 2022, 20:45
Daevid Allen - Banana Moon

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (mono) / Beatles For Sale (mono) / Help! (mono)

Tim Buckley - Goodbye & Hello (mono) / Happy Sad / Blue Afternoon

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels / Sunburst & Snowblind / Treasure / Victorialand

John Coltrane - Coltrane (First Trane) / Lush Life / Blue Trane / My Favorite Things (mono) / "Live" At The Village Vanguard (mono)

Julian Cope - Floored Genius 2 / Trip Advizer

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue / Sketches Of Spain / Bitches Brew / Live-Evil

The Doors - S/t / Strange Days / Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine

Gong - Angel's Egg / You / Gong Est Mort ... Vive Gong

P J Harvey - Dry / Rid Of Me

Led Zeppelin - III / IV

Moby Grape - Cross Talk (Best Of)

Lee "Scratch" Perry/ Upsetters - Scratch The Upsetter Again / Battle Of Armagideon

The Roches - S/t

Spirit - S/t / The Family That Plays Together

Spiritualized - Pure Phase

The The - Infected

Underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman

V/A - Right Time, Wrong Place: John Peel 1977-87
Unsung Forum Index