1001realapes
1001realapes
2390 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 July 2022 CE
Jul 24, 2022, 06:57
John Coltrane - Dakar

Johnny Rivers – Whisky A Go-Go Revisited

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Legendary A&M Sessions

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (mono)

Bee Gees - Tales from the Brothers Gibb (disc II)

Marmalade - Kaleidoscope

Ennio Morricone - Oceano OST

The Damned - The Best of The Damned (Ace/Roadrunner)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 July 2022 CE
Jul 24, 2022, 10:00
Neil Young & Crazy Horse ‘Toast’ - heart and balls in equal measure. When Neil’s this sincere that’s all she wrote;
Genesis ‘And Then There Were Three’ - Genesis’ last fully satisfying LP (for me, anyway) contains some great songs that are comparatively unsung in their extensive canon, the dreary ‘Follow You Follow Me’ excepted;
Elton John ‘Rock Of The Westies’ - as far removed from the relative introspection of ‘Captain Fantastic’ (released only a few months earlier) as it’s possible to imagine. This is Reg in his rockinest, raunchiest pomp;
The Smile ‘A Light For Attracting Attention’ - a strange, powerful and often beautiful record. There are fascinatingly disconcerting times when Thom Yorke seems to be intoning a different song over his esteemed colleagues’ backing;
Al Stewart ‘Orange’ - Al’s disowned most of his self-confessional early albums like this in favour of bland soft rock. A shame. This is an excellent, melodic record with a stellar line up of backing musicians including Bruce Thomas, Brinsley Schwarz and Rick Wakeman. Worth hearing for ‘Night Of 4th May’ alone;
Swell Maps ‘A Trip To Marineville’ - much as I continue to love the pseudo-Buzzcocks elements of this wonderful band, its the more experimental stuff here that attracts me now. I find it incredible that the music on this amazing record is at least 43 years old, so fresh does it sound despite its low-fi origins;
Bob Weir ‘Ace’ - Deader than Dead solo platter which is a whole lotta fun; leading appropriately to
Ace Frehley S/T - the guy was as wiped out making this as the song therein bearing that name but my, does this rock. I place this marginally behind Paul Stanley’s contemporaneous album but still love it enormously;
Thin Lizzy ‘Jailbreak’ - a great record that proves the lie of rock being dead before punk came along. Sobering to think that Phil Lynott has now been as dead as long as he was alive;
Van der Graaf ‘The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome’ - a relatively forgotten epic of Hammill’s vast back catalogue, this ain’t dated a jot. Such a shame that this string driven lineup didn’t last;
Stevie Wonder ‘Songs In The Key Of Life’ - timeless, genre-free music almost as fundamental as life itself. Was there ever a more joyous utterance than ‘As’? This is that unique thing: a double album (and a bit) with hardly any clunkers on it;
Maynard Ferguson ‘MF Horn 2’ and ‘Alive And Well In London’ - Maynard’s early 70s spell in England gleaned these sparkling big band takes on contemporary songs, superbly arranged by the great Keith Mansfield;
Haydn: String Quartet in E flat, Op.33 no.2 (Coull Quartet) - smile inducing music is all;
Frank Bridge: String Sextet (Raphael Ensemble) - haunting, autumnal sounding early work by Bridge, beautifully rendered here;
Beethoven: Symphonies 2 & 4 (COE/Nezet-Seguin) - lots of instrumental details emerge in this new recording but overall the interpretations lack a little verve;
Mozart: Symphonies 17 & 34 and Schubert: Symphony no.9 (BPO/Boehm) - old fashioned, big band Mozart rendered with taste and style. The Schubert record is simply a classic;
Beethoven: Symphony no.9 (BPO/Giulini) - a stately, measured take on this most grandiose of symphonies;
Bach: Brandenburg Concerto no.6 (AAM/Hogwood) - straight, musical performance on period instruments.

Have a great week, all

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jul 24, 2022, 11:14
Associates - Sulk (orig UK mix)

David Bowie - Station To Station / Low / "Heroes" / Lodger

Cluster - II / Zuckerzeit / Old Land (with Eno)

John Coltrane - Impressions / Crescent / A Love Supreme / Ascention / Transition / Kulu Se Mama

Comets On Fire - Avatar

Crass - The Feeding Of The Five Thousand / Stations Of The Crass (studio sides)

P J Harvey - Let England Shake / The Hope Sic Demolition Project / Lyon 2016

Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade

Bert Jansch - It Don't Bother Me / Nicola

Júpiter Maçã - A Sétima Efervescência

My Bloody Valentine - E.P's 1988-1992 / mbv

Nico - Chelsea Girl / The Marble Index / Desertshore / The End

The Peppermint Rainbow - Will You Be Staying After Sunday?

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (mono) / A Saucerful Of Secrets (mono) / Relics

Psychic TV - Temporary Temple / A Real Swedish Live Show / Kondole

The Residents - Meet The Residents / Not Available

The Slits - Cut (DE 2cd)

Third Ear Band - Alchemy / Elements / Music From MacBeth / The Magus

The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds Of ... (mono/stereo) / Easter Everywhere (mono/stereo)

This Mortal Coil - It'll End In Tears / Filigree & Shadows

Kamasi Washington - The Epic / Harmony Of Difference

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (Orchestre Pro Arte De Munich)

V/A

Reggae Nuggets (Mojo/ Trojan)

The Rough Guide To Psychedelic Brazil
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jul 24, 2022, 18:01
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Spirit- Spirit of '76
PJ Harvey- Uh Huh Her
The High Llamas- Retrospective, Rarities and Instrumentals
Can- Monster Movie
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Smash Hits
V/A- Revenge of the She-Punks
Sylvie- S/T
Carly Simon- Anticipation
David Westlake- My Beautiful England
The Soft Hills- Viva Chi Vede
Sairie- The Cinder Path
The Bevis Frond- The Clocks
Gypsy (US)- S/T
David Johansen- S/T
Crystal Jacqueline- Two Moons
Kingdom Come- Galactic Zoo Dossier
Kingdom Come- S/T
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jul 24, 2022, 18:51
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Syd Barrett - Barrett

The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
The Incredible String Band - Wee Tam & The Big Huge

Traffic - Traffic

Various Artists - Shut Down
The Beach Boys - Shut Down Vol.2
The Beach Boys - All Summer Long
The Beach Boys - Concert

Paul McCartney - Off The Ground
Paul McCartney - Flaming Pie
Paul McCartney - Run Devil Run

The Doors - L.A. Woman

His Name Is Alive - Livonia
His Name Is Alive - Home Is In Your Head
His Name Is Alive - Mouth By Mouth

Organisation - Tone Float
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Yes - Relayer
Yes - Going For The One

Flo & Eddie - The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie
Flo & Eddie - Flo & Eddie
keith a
9574 posts

Jul 25, 2022, 08:39
Rome – Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi
I see Danger Mouse has a new album coming soon – this time a collaboration with Black Thought – so I thought I'd have a listen to this 2011 classic. One of my fave post-2000 albums.

Country Life – Roxy Music
It has its moments but this is pretty massive dip in form after the sublime Stranded.

The Slider – T.Rex
The Slider is 50 years old this week, though this young lad in North Wales didn't get his copy until his birthday a few months later. The band were on top form - what an under-rated rhythm section Steve Currie and Bill Legend were! I'll be honest, I'm still not keen on the last track, Main Man, but come on...Telegram Sam. Metal Guru. Ballrooms Of Mars. Mystic Lady. Chariot Choogle. The fabulous title track. Etc. Marc's obtuse lyrics jump off the page and Tony Visconti's a rrangements and production help create a lovely little world all of its own.

Also...
Let It Be – The Beatles

Licht – Brockmann/Bargmann

La Panthere Des Neiges – Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

In Light Of Blues - Celer

World's Strongest Man – Gaz Coombes

The Boy Named If – Elvis Costello & the Imposters

Yeti Season - El Michels Affair

Nanocluster – Immersion (with Tarwater, Laetetia Sadier, Ulrich Schnauss & Scanner)

Jump Leads – Fila Brazillia

London Social Scene – Dana Gillespie

Further – Richard Hawley

Beyond The Pale – Jarv Is

Kiwanuka – Michael Kiwanuka

Curtis – Curtis Mayfield

Oboe 12” - Jackie Mittoo

The Alias Sessions – Murcof

Vertigo Days – The Notwist

The Long Goodbye – Pere Ubu

A Saucerful Of Secrets – Pink Floyd

Entangled Routes - Pye Corner Audio

Lives – Dan Sartain

Con-Struct – Conrad Schnitzler & Schneider TM

A Light For Attracting Attention – The Smile

Sunset Dreams – Jane Weaver

All You Need Is Love: The Beatles Reggae Songs – V/A

Bunny Lee: Dreads Enter The Gates With Praise – V/A

Deutsche Elektronische Musik 4 – V/A
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Jul 27, 2022, 09:31
Dunno how you feel about the albums that immediately followed, but HNIA are still going strong and still very much worth a listen.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jul 27, 2022, 10:28
Pursued By Trees wrote:
Dunno how you feel about the albums that immediately followed, but HNIA are still going strong and still very much worth a listen.

Yes, Stars On ESP was the first one I bought by them and I saw them live a few times around that time. Lost interest a bit after Last Night which was just a bit too modern R'n'B for my tastes, but have dipped into the more recent releases and Warren is still producing some interesting stuff.
Unsung Forum Index