Woody Guthrie - The Early Years

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Superstition
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2022, 09:53
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 July 2022 CE
Jul 17, 2022, 09:53
Neil Young & Crazy Horse ‘Toast’ - amazing how much quality shit old Shakey has maturing in his vaults. Much of this belatedly released 2001 album inhabits the same cranked out world of ‘Ragged Glory’, (well, mebbes a little softer in places) and that’s alright by me. In fact, it’s a fabulous, fractuous 51 minutes with no weak spots. Good on ya, Neil;
Deep Purple ‘Turning To Crime’ - I was a bit hasty in dissing this covers album when it came out last year. Hearing it again reveals its joys. In fact, I dug it muchly second time around, even if I won’t rush to play it again. Old men having fun (them and me) is all;
Little Feat ‘Dixie Chicken’ - drawn back to this after hearing Purple’s heavy take on the title track (cf. above). Needless to say, the original wins, and the rest of this remains a mighty fine listen. In fact, it’s amazing how fresh and undated this half century old music still sounds;
Elbow ‘Elbowrooms’ - fun revamps of old tracks recorded in lockdown for the Elbow faithful but, dare I suggest, entertaining for others too;
Various ‘V’ - long deleted double LP sampler of Virgin’s early years with, in hindsight, very few clunkers. Hey, even Mike Oldfield’s ‘Don Alfonso’ boasts Kevin Ayers on, let’s say, brittle percussion. I hadn’t played this in decades and found myself loving it anew. I feel a detailed Unsung review in my water;
Snow Patrol ‘Fallen Empires’ - big sounds from these ever uncool darlings of the charity shop CD racks (I paid 10p. Yes, really). But y’know, this is actually a decent listen in its electro-U2 kinda way. I’ll get me coat;
Barbara Thompson’s Paraphernalia ‘Pure Fantasy’ - Barbara’s sad demise earlier this week prompted me to dig out this, one of the first CDs I ever bought back in the mid-80s. It does sound time-locked in that era but my, it’s drum tight in its rhythmic precision and bite. As much a tribute to the great Jon Hiseman as his awesomely talented wife, methinks;
Beethoven: Symphonies 1 & 3 (COE/Nezet-Seguin) - all that I’ve had time to play so far of Nezet-Seguin’s new Beethoven cycle seems a little underwhelming on first hearing. I’ll listen further and update accordingly;
Beethoven: Cello Sonata no.5 (Staier/Dieltiens) - vibrant new recording on copies of period instruments;
Bach: various organ and harpsichord works (Karl Richter) - there are as many different approaches to Bach’s wondrous keyboard oeuvre as there are instruments on which to play it, but Richter’s strongly teutonic approach always floors me;
Schubert: Impromptu in B flat, D935 no.3 (Wilhelm Backhaus) - ancient Decca recording of a reading far from purist in approach but still in synch with Schubert’s sublime muse.

Salutations, dudes

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1059 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2022, 12:02
Jul 17, 2022, 12:01
The Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari
The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl
The Beach Boys - Little Deuce Coupe

The Incredible String Band - The Incredible String Band
The Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion

Traffic - Mr Fantasy

Family - Music In A Doll's House

Pet Shop Boys - Yes + Further Listening
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium

Boxer - Below The Belt (bought this from a stall at the village fayre last weekend, as I just had to find out if the music is as horrible as the cover. Not bad but not something I'd play often)

Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner & The Empty Stage (bought from the same stall as the Boxer LP - had been interested in hearing this since reading The Seth Man's Unsung review, and it's definitely more my sort of thing)

The Monkees - The Birds The Bees & The Monkees
The Monkees - Head
The Monkees - 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee

Paul McCartney - Press To Play
Paul McCartney - Flowers In The Dirt

Elton John - Rock Of The Westies (had to play this on Wednesday night: "I wish tonight wasn't Wednesday night/I wish it wasn't the 13th of July")

Yes - Fragile
Yes - Close To The Edge
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Al Jardine - Postcard From California

Bob Dylan - Rough & Rowdy Ways

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Jul 17, 2022, 13:57
Those Beach Boys (and related) titles aside, I know and like all of your listed albums. I bought ‘Below The Belt’ on its release, having been impressed with its opening track ‘Shooting Star’ when Alan Freeman (who else) played it on his Saturday show. I still think it’s easily the best track on an otherwise good, not great, album. Of course, since then I’ve come to know Patto and what a superior band they were in every respect. Note also that Boxer’s bassist was the late Keith Ellis, formerly of VdGG, thus establishing a direct link with that wonderful Peter Hammill LP you bought at the same time!

I played ‘Rock Of The Westies’ a few months ago for the first time in years and was bowled over by it: so much energy and fun goes on in its grooves. It’s a lesser remembered reminder of how productive Elton was in the seventies. I’m gonna play it again now!
flashbackcaruso
1059 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2022, 14:54
Jul 17, 2022, 14:53
Fitter Stoke wrote:

I played ‘Rock Of The Westies’ a few months ago for the first time in years and was bowled over by it: so much energy and fun goes on in its grooves. It’s a lesser remembered reminder of how productive Elton was in the seventies. I’m gonna play it again now!

'Rock Of The Westies' seems like a riposte to the conceptual depth of the same year's 'Captain Fantastic' as well as more of a showcase for his heavier new band than his own songwriting. Very Stones-influenced from its riffs to its occasional political incorrectness, the jokey title suggests it's not meant to be taken too seriously. Love the Bo-Diddley-in-space stomp of closing track 'Billy Bones And The White Bird'. In her otherwise excellent 'His Song' book, Elizabeth J. Rosenthal describes 'Billy Bones' as 'probably the most annoying music Elton has ever composed' so I was glad to see Elton himself say he came close to including it on the Deep Cuts section of the Jewel Box.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Jul 17, 2022, 16:31
Interesting. I think there are far more annoying things in Elton’s vast back catalogue than that; ‘Passengers’ for example. Ugh!
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jul 17, 2022, 21:38
Curtis Mayfield- Back In The World
Marvin Gaye- Let's Get It On
Moondog- The Viking of Sixth Avenue
Del Shannon- Tenth Anniversary Album
Phil Ochs- Pleasures of the Harbor
Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
keith a
9574 posts

Jul 18, 2022, 08:58
Bit of everything here this week...Kosmiche, Calypso, Cambodian, reggae, soul, 80's comeback, electronic, soundtrack...

Novelty Waves (CDS) – Biosphere

Licht – Brockmann/Bargmann

Carnage – Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

Fantasy Island – Clinic

Koncerte 1972/77 - Cluster

Enclosures - Craven Faults

Entroducing – DJ Shadow

1st – Peter Gabriel

Electricity – Ibibio Sound Machine

Private Space – Durant Jones & the Indications

Destroys The Virus With Dub - King Jammy

Kiwanuka – Michael Kiwanuka

Swingin' Calypsos – Lord Flea & his Calypsonians

Irreal - BJ Nilsen 

The Devil You & Me – The Notwist
Vertigo Days – The Notwist

Untold Futures – The Oscillation

Bright Magic – Public Service Broadcasting

Entangled Routes - Pye Corner Audio

Happiness Not Included – Soft Cell

Patterns – Test Card

Dub Landing – Lynval Thompson

The Road: Part II/Lost Highway – UNKLE

Dengue Fever Presents Electric Cambodia – V/A

Deutsche Elektronische Musik 2 – V/A
garerama
garerama
1119 posts

Jul 18, 2022, 08:59
Angelo Badalamenti - Music From Twin Peaks

Blondie - Plastic Letters / Parallel Lines

Can - Tago Mago / Ogam Ogat / Ege Bamyai / Horror Trip In The Paperhouse

The Cure - Boys Don't Cry / Seventeen Seconds

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned / Machine Gun Etiquette

Miles Davies - A Silent Way / Bitches Brew / Greatest Hits

Dr Strangely Strange - Kip Of The Serenes

Hawkwind - Space Ritual / Warrior On The Edge Of Time

The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter / Wee Tam / The Big Huge

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything / Loveless

Pink Floyd - More / Ummugumma / Atom Heart Mother

Psychic TV - Jack The Tab / Tekno Acid Beat

The Specials - S/t

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies

Martin Stephenson & The Daintees - Boat To Bolivia

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman

23 Skidoo - Seven Songs

Tyrannosaurus Rex - My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair... But Now They're Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows / Prophets, Seers & Sages The Angels Of The Ages

The Velvet Underground - 1969 / S/t (MGM Special comp LP)

Wire - 154
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jul 18, 2022, 15:22
NP The Oscillation - Out of phase. Recommended psych/krautrock. I imagine someone posted a link to their cover of Head Hang Low and that's how I got on board

The Orb - No sounds are out of bounds. Probably didn't give this enough time

Trembling Bells - Dungeness - Carbeth. Was quite late to the party, only really getting into them after seeing live. Soon after they split up rather acrimoniously so I gather. File under folk rock but with an indy lyrical sensibility.

U2 - 1980-1990. Bit divisive I would imagine - especially on this board. I like em in small doses

Ultrasound - Play for Today. Indy glam

Two Lone Swordsmen - Tiny Reminders

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra. Don't really have much TD. Don't mind it but not blowing my socks off
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index