Just played

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: Just played
Oct 18, 2018, 12:53
Yeah, it's a great album - and certainly brightened up that dismal 1995 summer of Oasis vs. Blur hubris (and showed 'em who was really the boss).

Also, I was initially disappointed with the previous year's Autogeddon - I really like it now because I can listen to it out of sequential context, but at the time, I think my reservations were simply that it came on the back of Jehovahkill and let's face it, the bar had been set pretty fucking high by that one.

20 Mothers reminded me more of Peggy Suicide in that it had a broad range of styles, emotions and feeling (but still sounds like a development from and incorporating Jehovahkill's more overt krautrock and folkish elements) and even though some of the subject matter was quite dark, there seemed a great deal of joy and love on the album, (where Autogeddon had been mostly rage - not necessarily a bad thing in hindsight). I kinda think of it as the 'family' album as there are songs about his kids, Dorian, his mother, brother, mother-in-law and friends amongst the usual political and environmental themes.

I think one of its major strengths was that Julian had consolidated a great band again after Donneye's departure (Michael Mooney's guitar is superlative throughout).

I really liked Interpreter too - I've seen it get a bit of a panning in some circles (and I don't think Julian's keen on it either), but I think it's the nearest we ever got to that elusive 'return to pop' album he'd always ruminated/denied/promised/dismissed :-).

Unsung Forum Index