Unsung Forum »
Just played

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wychburyman
951 posts

Just played
Oct 14, 2018, 13:07
20 Mothers this morning. Love it even more now.

Thank you.
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2018, 19:47
Re: Just played
Oct 14, 2018, 19:05
The Glory days ...I miss it! and my vinyl being apparently unplayable, I just ordered the CD.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 14, 2018, 19:29
I've been playing that a few times recently, one of my favourite JC albums
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 14, 2018, 21:13
I've been playing it a few times recently too.

'Just Like Pooh Bear' sounds like a Dead or Alive track!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2018, 23:56
Oct 14, 2018, 22:39
1995 is one of my top 10 cope trax, some great synth sounds, and love the lyrics "my mind is on fast forward, but the trigger finger scene is on rewind..." being a good example. Greedhead Detector always put a smile on my face (esp when I caught one of the kids when they were very young singing the stupidly catchy chorus under their breath when we were out about somewhere) along with Queen/Mother. Always thought the album was a weird mix of whimsey and heartfelt sentiment. Still have to skip the odd track depending on mood tho.
Edit. Also add Leli B to that, now there's a tune!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 14, 2018, 22:41
Those were some of the days from 1995
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 15, 2018, 19:24
Monganaut wrote:
1995 is one of my top 10 cope trax, some great synth sounds, and love the lyrics "my mind is on fast forward, but the trigger finger scene is on rewind..." being a good example. Greedhead Detector always put a smile on my face (esp when I caught one of the kids when they were very young singing the stupidly catchy chorus under their breath when we were out about somewhere) along with Queen/Mother. Always thought the album was a weird mix of whimsey and heartfelt sentiment. Still have to skip the odd track depending on mood tho.

With you on this entirely!
johnmartin7042
1 posts

Edited Oct 17, 2018, 20:04
Oct 17, 2018, 20:03
norton.com/setup is one of the best Security Antivirus product which can completely protect your digital online life. You can securely surf the internet with the Norton Antivirus To activate your Norton Setup with product key you can visit norton.com/setup.
office.com/setup is a product of MS Office Setup. Get office setup support if you face problem to activate office.com/setup or install Microsoft office product. Install microsoft office 365 with Product Key.
Mantid
100 posts

Oct 18, 2018, 04:09
Monganaut wrote:

I put this on yesterday in fact!

Very well put about skipping tracks, and it does vary based on mood. I don't like "Wheelbarrow Man" all that much but every once in a while, I do enjoy it.

Leli B is a great callout - I think that is the track that made me realize I must learn to work synthesizers.

Other faves:

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud - not much to say, I just dig it.

I'm Your Daddy - I try to get my daughter into this one, mixed results.

Highway to the Sun - one of my favorite songs of all time. The opening bass tone gives me chills if the volume is adequate.

By the Light of the Silbury Moon - this is a medicine for me, not to be taken too often but extremely powerful when required.

I'd love a lyric sheet for this album.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Oct 18, 2018, 12:53
Yeah, it's a great album - and certainly brightened up that dismal 1995 summer of Oasis vs. Blur hubris (and showed 'em who was really the boss).

Also, I was initially disappointed with the previous year's Autogeddon - I really like it now because I can listen to it out of sequential context, but at the time, I think my reservations were simply that it came on the back of Jehovahkill and let's face it, the bar had been set pretty fucking high by that one.

20 Mothers reminded me more of Peggy Suicide in that it had a broad range of styles, emotions and feeling (but still sounds like a development from and incorporating Jehovahkill's more overt krautrock and folkish elements) and even though some of the subject matter was quite dark, there seemed a great deal of joy and love on the album, (where Autogeddon had been mostly rage - not necessarily a bad thing in hindsight). I kinda think of it as the 'family' album as there are songs about his kids, Dorian, his mother, brother, mother-in-law and friends amongst the usual political and environmental themes.

I think one of its major strengths was that Julian had consolidated a great band again after Donneye's departure (Michael Mooney's guitar is superlative throughout).

I really liked Interpreter too - I've seen it get a bit of a panning in some circles (and I don't think Julian's keen on it either), but I think it's the nearest we ever got to that elusive 'return to pop' album he'd always ruminated/denied/promised/dismissed :-).
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index