Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 September 2018 CE

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 September 2018 CE
Sep 23, 2018, 11:07
Paul Weller 'True Meanings' - the more I play this, the more convinced I am that this is Weller's finest solo achievement. There's a subtlety here that he has never fully achieved until now (not even with 'Wild Wood') and the man's singing and songwriting has never been better. Simply a lovely record;

Barry Andrews 'Lost Pop Songs 78-80' - having long yearned for a digitalised collection of Andrews' unsung post-XTC/pre-Shriekback 45s, I'm very disappointed to note that what I take to be a self-financed release is so poorly put together. The wonderful 'Town and Country' EP appears here badly mastered from a crackly, off-centre vinyl copy and 'Rossmore Road' is much thinner and wheezy sounding than the Virgin original. Clearly the compilers haven't had access to the master tapes but this meagrely packaged CD could and should have been so much better;

Loudon Wainwright III 'Years In The Making' - quirky career retrospective which I've found superbly entertaining. Both fans and newbies will dig;

Brahms: Symphonies 1 - 4 (Staatskapelle Berlin/Daniel Barenboim) -although intensely personal (and occasionally wayward), these readings seem to me to cut to the heart of Brahms more than any since Furtwaengler - and I speak as a long term admirer of Giulini, Barbirolli, Boult, Celibidache, Walter, Klemperer and many other noted Brahms interpreters of the past and present. There are moments in these recordings where the music appears to hang in thin air (the slow movement of the Third for example) and I find that incredibly moving. Not for everyone perhaps, but well worth hearing.

Happy vibes to all.

Dave

Unsung Forum Index