Hardy Fox - Rilla Contemplates Love

Hardy Fox - st

Vince Guaraldi - The Lost Cues Vol. 1

Vangelis - China

The Residents - MUSH-ROOM

V.A. - Before the Blues Vol. 2

Jonathan Richman - I'm So Confused

Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Complete

The Congos - Heart of the Congos (disc 1 1978 remix)

Steve Roach - Slow Heat

Tangerine Dream - Atem

Rush - Hold Your Fire

Paul Williams - Someday Man

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band - Ice Cream For Crow

Talk Talk - It's My Life

B.B. King - The Great

Frank Zappa - Studio Tan ("side 2")

Link Ray - Rumble!

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

John Coltrane - Olé Coltrane

Bass Communion - Reconstructions

Tori Amos - Spark (CD5 Maxi Single)
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 September 2018 CE
Sep 23, 2018, 03:14
Hmmm...lessee...

Love: "Forever Changes"
Talk Talk: "Spirit of Eden"
me: "Actions at Distances"
TV Victor: s/t
Death Grips: "The Money Store"
Faust: "IV"
Frederic Chopin: various nocturnes
also me: "The View from Aristarchus" (piece not completed yet, got stopped by wiggy M4L behavior while working on it, opted to run a full virus check...grr)
Basement 5: "In Dub"
Luc Ferrari: "Ephemere vols 1 and 2"
2814: s/t
flashbackcaruso
1055 posts

Sep 23, 2018, 08:08
The Doors - The Soft Parade

Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis
Elvis Presley - Back In Memphis/In Person

The Kinks - Are Well Respected Men

The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks/More Hot Rocks

Forest - Full Circle

The Kingsbury Manx - Let You Down

Kaleidoscope - Faintly Blowing

The Turtles - It Ain't Me Babe
The Turtles - You Baby/Let Me Be
The Turtles - Happy Together
The Turtles - Present The Battle Of The Bands

Queen - The Miracle
Queen - Innuendo

T-Rex - Wax Co Singles A's & B's 1972-77

Bobbie Gentry - Fancy
Bobbie Gentry - Patchwork

Lambchop - Thriller
Lambchop - What Another Man Spills

Juana Molina - Segundo

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Sep 23, 2018, 11:07
Paul Weller 'True Meanings' - the more I play this, the more convinced I am that this is Weller's finest solo achievement. There's a subtlety here that he has never fully achieved until now (not even with 'Wild Wood') and the man's singing and songwriting has never been better. Simply a lovely record;

Barry Andrews 'Lost Pop Songs 78-80' - having long yearned for a digitalised collection of Andrews' unsung post-XTC/pre-Shriekback 45s, I'm very disappointed to note that what I take to be a self-financed release is so poorly put together. The wonderful 'Town and Country' EP appears here badly mastered from a crackly, off-centre vinyl copy and 'Rossmore Road' is much thinner and wheezy sounding than the Virgin original. Clearly the compilers haven't had access to the master tapes but this meagrely packaged CD could and should have been so much better;

Loudon Wainwright III 'Years In The Making' - quirky career retrospective which I've found superbly entertaining. Both fans and newbies will dig;

Brahms: Symphonies 1 - 4 (Staatskapelle Berlin/Daniel Barenboim) -although intensely personal (and occasionally wayward), these readings seem to me to cut to the heart of Brahms more than any since Furtwaengler - and I speak as a long term admirer of Giulini, Barbirolli, Boult, Celibidache, Walter, Klemperer and many other noted Brahms interpreters of the past and present. There are moments in these recordings where the music appears to hang in thin air (the slow movement of the Third for example) and I find that incredibly moving. Not for everyone perhaps, but well worth hearing.

Happy vibes to all.

Dave
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Sep 23, 2018, 20:15
VA – Running The Voodoo Down Vol 2. Another comp of psych-influenced soul & jazz. For some reason, I prefer this to the first one. Certainly good for people like me who don’t know their John Coltrane from their Sonny Sharrock, but are too old to admit it.

The Nightingales – Perish The Thought

Keto – Blackened Pool

BEAK> – >>>

Kikagaku Moyo – Masana Temples

Earthling Society – MO - The Demon

Evil Blizzard – The Worst Show On Earth

Hawkwind – Road To Utopia

Alex Crispin – Open Submission

48 Chairs – 70% Paranoid. Latest bit of bin digging goodness from Finders Keepers, obscure but rather good slice of funky post-punk/prog from the early ‘80s, kinda Wire meets Blue Orchids meets Talking Heads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGHHTMHhr28

Popera Cosmic – Les Esclaves. Another FK re-release, French rock opera from 1969, some surprisingly groovy tracks herein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BNYKnngV7g

Curved Air – Second Album. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite bands from the ‘70s progressive era.

The Vinyl Countdown: K is for…

King Of The Slums – Barbarous English Fayre. Now here’s a band who are grievously unsung. They were probably at their peak (and enjoying their 15 minutes of NME/MM-endorsed fame) when this compilation of early singles and new tracks was released in 1989, the flipside of the loved-up Madchester scene. The song titles are almost comically Morrissey-esque – ‘Simpering Blonde Bombshell’, ‘Venerate Me Utterly’, ‘Bedevilment’s Favourite Son’ etc – but the music positively seethes with small town violence and frustration, a distorted electric violin constantly needling away in the mix. Really, these guys were brilliant… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAr9M9yOUpE (and also recently reformed apparently)
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2018, 22:00
Sep 23, 2018, 21:59
Meg Baird - Leaves From Off The Tree (with Helena Espell & Sharon Kraus) / Dear Companion / Seasons On Earth / Don't Weight Down The Light

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (50th anniversary LP) / Best Of Vol 3 (1968 Capital UK Mono LP)

The Byrds - The Original Singles 1965-1967 (mono)

Crass - Christ The Album / Well Forked But Not Dead

Dan - Where Have All The Children Gone?

Mark Eitzel - The Ugly American

Espers - II / III

Flower Travellin' Band - Make Up / The Times

Flux Of Pink Indians - Strive To Survive ... / Uncarved Block (as Flux)

Genesis - Trespass / Nursery Cryme / Foxtrot

Jon Hassell & Brian Eno - Fourth World Vol 1 - The Possible Musics

Heron Oblivion - S/t

Keith Jarrett - Somewhere Before: The Atlantic Years 1968-1975

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame / Birds Of Fire / Between Nothingness & Eternity

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star

Archie Shepp - Kwanza

Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine

Wayne Shorter - Juju / Speak No Evil / The Soothsayer / The All Seeing Eye

Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Scream / Join Hands / Kaleidoscope / Juju

Six Minute War - EPs

Sun Ra - Super Sonic Jazz / Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees / Gone To Earth

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine / The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other

Cherry Vanilla - Bad Girl

Nana Vasconcelos - Contaminacao

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life

XTC - Go 2 / Go+ / Marconi Club, Sydney 20/7/79 / Mummer / The Big Express / Fuzzy Warbles 1 - 4 (Andy Partridge)

V/A -

Crystallized (Rocket Recordings)

The Roxy London WC2
keith a
9572 posts

Sep 23, 2018, 22:25
Fatalist wrote:

King Of The Slums – Barbarous English Fayre. Now here’s a band who are grievously unsung. They were probably at their peak (and enjoying their 15 minutes of NME/MM-endorsed fame) when this compilation of early singles and new tracks was released in 1989, the flipside of the loved-up Madchester scene. The song titles are almost comically Morrissey-esque – ‘Simpering Blonde Bombshell’, ‘Venerate Me Utterly’, ‘Bedevilment’s Favourite Son’ etc – but the music positively seethes with small town violence and frustration, a distorted electric violin constantly needling away in the mix. Really, these guys were brilliant… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAr9M9yOUpE (and also recently reformed apparently)

A band I haven't heard in a long time. I never bought the album but I was rather partial to Vicious British Boyfriend EP. Just listening to the track you posted now!
keith a
9572 posts

Sep 23, 2018, 22:29
Station To Station – David Bowie

The Milk Of Human Kindness – Caribou
Andorra – Caribou

The Future Of The Future (CDS) – Deep Dish With Everything But The Girl

The Private Press – DJ Shadow

The Now Now – Gorillaz

Singularity – Jon Hopkins

Best Of... - Dandy Livingstone

Call The Comets – Johnny Marr

Egypt Station - Paul McCartney

Electronically Tested – Mungo Jerry

Mass Education – St Vincent

The 12” Singles – Soft Cell

And Nothing Hurt – Spiritualized

Where Did The Night Fall - UNKLE

Flowerz (CDS) – Armand Van Helden

Station - Alan Vega

V - Wooden Shjips

Dub Foundation – V/A

Paradise: The Sound Of Ivor Raymonde – V/A
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2018, 01:08
Sep 24, 2018, 23:53
Fatalist wrote:

I often wonder if Luke Haines was a fan. If anything they were even more savage - but there is definitely (IMO, obviously. Subjective value judgements and all that) something of an echo of their stuff in Haines output. If one were to like the Auteurs etc (especially After Murder Park) and were after a similar kick, Barbarous English Fayre and Dandelions would be just the ticket.

Haven't been here for ages, so the fact I listen to the same 20 or 30 albums on repeat will escape your notice. List time! (Yay).

Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste. The album may be all over the place but this is God like genius, 1:50 seconds in, awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk
All together now "I'm going to ruin you cunt..." I have no idea how my partner found this. She listens to Ken Bruce ffs.

Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters - Living Legend. Wonderful psychedelic soul music. This track so obviously penned by Curtis Mayfield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMIzTh0Lafg&start_radio=1&list=RDEMj-IheTFxZU2AM4GR6kmPww
"Eatin' Spam and Oreo's, drinkin' Thunderbird baby." Eatin' beef flavoured Transformer corn puffs and drinkin' Euroshopper 30p energy drink (still). That's what I call progress.

Dead Meadow - Peel Sessions. Released in 2001 and only just found by me, despite my loving this band... Only Peel session not recorded in this country (recorded in Fugazi's studio apparently). Currently considered (by me) to be their essential album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltkP3l323P4
Cool cartoon bolted to it by whoever uploaded it to YouTube as well.

Grace Jones - Island Life. Curiously dated yet timeless. Suspect every track was a single.

I-Monster - Daydream In Blue (BBC Radio 2 Session). One track stumbled on by accident, but it's so good it demands to be shared. Utterly different to the single.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG8y4f3gA68

Hawkwind - In Search of Space. You Know You're Only Dreaming is a great song. I'd never really noticed it before, despite it taking up a third of the first side - obviously usually concussed by You Shouldn't Do That. Dave actually knew his way round a hook or two.

Scott 4 - Works Project LP. Fell on my head whilst I was rooting around in a cupboard. Loved this at the time and it still sounds great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyt0-DlkEro

Slade - In Flame. Has a hit making pop band ever sounded sadder or as knackered as this? On their feature film as well. Wonderful.

T2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland. Simply essential.

Various Artists - Country Funk Volumes 1 and 2. Find these if you can. Think they were a vinyl only released by Light In The Attic Records a few years ago but now available as a download and what I've actually been listening to for an embarrassing amount of time now. Every track is a classic (Hoyt Axton being a particular favourite - harmonica impersonating a chicken... what's not to love?). Check out this greatest ever cover of an Elvis track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3fITdfg6nQ

Country Grindcore - wow. Edit - Goddamn, that's Roger McGuinn on guitar!

ttfn.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2018, 11:20
Sod McGuinn, that's David Essex on drums!
Sep 25, 2018, 11:04
Robot Emperor wrote:
Various Artists - Country Funk Volumes 1 and 2. Find these if you can. Think they were a vinyl only released by Light In The Attic Records a few years ago but now available as a download and what I've actually been listening to for an embarrassing amount of time now. Every track is a classic (Hoyt Axton being a particular favourite - harmonica impersonating a chicken... what's not to love?). Check out this greatest ever cover of an Elvis track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3fITdfg6nQ

Country Grindcore - wow. Edit - Goddamn, that's Roger McGuinn on guitar!

ttfn.

On this promotional video of Billy Swan's version of Don't Be Cruel the band gamely miming away inexplicably features Roger McGuinn on guitar, David Essex on drums (2:48), and Kenny Jones (1:53) on piano.

Can't make out the bass player - but from the logic of the rest of it Alvin Stardust has got to be a contender. The dancing preacher is the obvious star and doubtless was a star but I don't recognise him. Delightfully he appears to kick the woman as she lays on the floor after she's been laid out with a punch from her abductor. Enlightened times the Seventies. Still, he busts some moves.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index