Unsung Forum »
Conny Plank documentary

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Conny Plank documentary
Sep 14, 2018, 08:36
Conny's son Stephen on the making of his deeply personal documentary. Anyone seen it?

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/conny-plank-stephan-plank-interview/
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Re: Conny Plank documentary
Sep 14, 2018, 12:59
I saw it at a preview showing at the Goethe Institute in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago. The director, Stefan Plank (Conny's son) was there and did a Q&A afterwards.

The film itself is really good - great footage and interviews and it really gives an insight into someone who was clearly a genius. The film covered his whole career, and so only a portion of it was dedicated to what might be regarded as the "classic" Krautrock period. There was as much coverage of later years working with the Eurythmics, Ultravox, etc. Also, I had no idea that he recorded with rappers Whodini.

The Q&A with Stafan Plank was really interesting. Some great stories about how Conny turned down working with U2 on the Joshua Tree, and shopping for breakfast cerial in their local village with David Bowie. He also mentioned that they now have a UK distributor and so it wil be appearing at art house cinemas around the country (for example, it's going to be on at the Filmhouse in Edinbugh later in the year as part of their German Film Festival).
phallus dei
583 posts

Sep 15, 2018, 13:16
Thanks, Bauhedd, for providing a description of the film. Hope it can show up in some US cities. I also never knew that Plank was involved at all with the hip-hop scene. Are their any interviews with Moebius in the film? Or had he already passed away before they started shooting? I would love to learn more about the creative process behind the Moebius & Plank albums.
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Sep 15, 2018, 13:28
No Moebius isnt in it. Someone in the audience asked about this...apparently he had agreed to take part but was too ill, and then died before anything had been filmed.

Eno isn't in it either...apparently he wanted to contribute, but they couldn't make their schedules work. Stefan Plank hinted that Eno is still up for doing something...he mentioned the possibillity of a DVD release, so maybe a DVD extra.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Sep 16, 2018, 00:01
Soooo want to see this!
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Sep 17, 2018, 15:03
Saw it in Sheffield at our wonderful Showroom Cinema. It's a great film, quite touching really as it's basically a son looking for his father and only having archive film and interviews to do it as his father died when he was young. It's also musically great and surprising that you get quite a lot of music you're not expecting as much of (Duke Ellington, The Scorpions etc..)

Totally recommended. It also took me back to seeing various bits of equipment from Conny's studio for sale in about 2006, wish I'd got something! It wasn't all big expensive stuff
charlbury
81 posts

Sep 20, 2018, 20:20
bauheed wrote:
and so it wil be appearing at art house cinemas around the country (for example, it's going to be on at the Filmhouse in Edinbugh later in the year as part of their German Film Festival).

Fuck me. Really? Will have to go to the cinema for the first time in 4 years...
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Sep 20, 2018, 22:36
Dang! Missed it. Would've swooped down from Foxhill's heights in a trice. A great man.
Unsung Forum Index