The Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk At Cubist Castle

The Apples In Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker

Klaus Schulze - Timewind
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 August 2018 CE
Aug 19, 2018, 14:09
I actually got around to digging out some old LP's I've not heard for a while this week as well as the usal car stereo crap.

LP's
Various Artists - Reverb Conspiracy Vol:2
Don't think I've listened to this since I first had it. WOW! what a great comp.
Wish I'd bought that Big Naturals LP when it was out on Cardinal Fuzz (was it Cardinal Fuzz or Fuzz Club don't recall??) but they had so much cool stuff out at the time, I couldn't afford all of it. Anyhoo, great comp, good mix of styles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UaNya-B7Es&list=PLDV5fmaK5WCkPAta2Wq44P2Erl3D6AglY

Various Artists - Harbinger Sound Sampler
This was one of those budget 'pay no more than £3.99' LP's that came out a few years back. Crazy mix of styles from punk and rap through to avante garde and electronics. Well woth the money. Gonna have to investigate the ensemble Circuit Breaker furhter, they really floated my boat.

Shellac - Live in Japan 1993/4?
I'd forgot about this album. It's a bootleg (obvs) but a great show nonetheless. Do they still make bootleg albums??? prob too expensive these days. https://www.discogs.com/%E3%82%B7%E3%82%A7%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF-%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC/release/1041522

Some H P Lovecraft music/story thang that I can't remember the title of off the top of my head. It's basically From Boyond and The Hound with nice electronics and interludes. Good stuff.

CD's
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Special Edition)
This is a killer remaster, clear and heavy. This is prob my fav' Sabs album, all killer, no filler. Plus an extra disc of stuff, result!

Stooges - Raw Power

Various - Reverb Conspiracy Vol:3
Various - Reverb Conspiracy Vol:4
See above, these really are great little comps, bit like thouse Rough Trade Shops thangs, but with a Psych slant obviously.
Vol:3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQCsqklQQqM&list=PLDV5fmaK5WCn3E2Y6MMsKGgvN3hgeXAfI
Vol:4 https://www.juno.co.uk/products/the-reverb-conspiracy-volume-4/630955-01/

Various - Gimme Skelter - Buddyhead records comp
Ths came out during that brief period when music got goodish again under that electroclash moniker. Good mix of usual suspects and unknowns (like thos Sonic Mook comps which I still love).
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Gimme-Skelter/master/304534

Liminanas - Down Underground
First 4 albums on 2 CD's. Good value and killer tunes.

Black Tempest - Enfolding Light
Great Tangsian Berlin school meditative electronics from our very own Squidward. Been playing ths loads over the last week or so, usually gazing off into the distance from the top of a local hill somewhere.
https://blacktempest.bandcamp.com/album/enfolding-light

That's about all I recall fer now. Have a good one!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Aug 19, 2018, 19:01
The Fall Peel Sessions - Discs 1-3 up to This Nation's Saving Grace. Hadn't heard much of the earlier stuff, but it is growing on me. TNSG is probably my fav though.

Adem - Homesongs

Akron/Family - S/T II

The Amazing - Gentle Stream & S/T. Not sure about this lot. Tending towards the position that they should grow a pair.

Add N to X - Avant Hard

Annie Get Your Gun. Starting to not like this much to the extent that it is going to a charity shop pronto. What was I thinking?

Alabama 3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane. Not their best album methinks, but ok

Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy

The Cure - Wish. First Play I thought it was amazing after not listening to for decades. 2nd play and I became over-familiar with it again.

The BrianJonestown Massacre - Revelation. Pretty solid recentish album

The Arrival of New - Comp from a couple of years ago that I compiled so was quite likely to approve.

Terry Riley - Rainbow in Curved Air. Saw In C performed the week before which was a first for me too

Ten Years After - A Space in Time. A very pleasant revisit going back decades too.

Temple of Sol Compilation Featuring WIKAN (Tonestone) which sounded even worthier this time round.

23 Skidoo - Seven Songs

Aidan Baker, Simon Goff, Thor Harris - Noplace
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2018, 22:37
Aug 19, 2018, 22:36
The Beatles - Help! (mono) / Rubber Soul (mono) / Rock'n'Roll Music Vol 2

David Bowie - Lodger / Scary Monsters / Baal EP / Rare

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue / Bitches Brew / A Tribute To Jack Johnson

Dickies - The Incredible Shrinking Dickies

Future Sound Of London / Amorphous Androgynous etc - Papua New Guinea (2001 12") / Lifeforms / Alice In Ultraland / A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble ... Vols 2 & 3

Stan Getz - Jazz Samba (with Charlie Byrd) / Sweet Rain

Astrud Gilberto - The Shadow Of Your Smile

Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa (original mix)

Robyn Hitchcock - Eye / You & Oblivion / The Kershaw Sessions (with The Egyptians)

Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids / Oil On Canvas

King Crimson - Starless & Bible Black / Red

Bill Nelson - The Two-fold Aspect Of Everything

Public Image Ltd - This Is PiL

The Stranglers - Black & White / The Raven

David Sylvian - Approaching Silence

Third Ear Band - Alchemy / Elements

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other / The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome / Real Time

Jane Weaver - The Watchbird Alluminate

Paul Weller - 22 Dreams / Wake Up The Nation
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 19, 2018, 23:02
Wow - touched that Enfolding Light is doing its thing for you. New record due for pre-order quite soon I think...
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Aug 20, 2018, 00:13
Monganaut wrote:
Some H P Lovecraft music/story thang that I can't remember the title of off the top of my head. It's basically From Boyond and The Hound with nice electronics and interludes. Good stuff.

Duke St Workshop :-) Love it
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2018, 15:28
Aug 20, 2018, 15:27
BEAK> – >>> Third outing from Geoff Barrow’s neo-Krautronica crew, which on first listen was excellent, with the vocals working really well now. Not sure if we’ll ever see a fourth Portishead LP, but this is very much in the territory of their last album… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCO84IFZ2zo

Dead Otter – Bridge Of Weird

Soft Machine – Hidden Details

Groundhogs – Blues Obituary. Where the Hogs start to get a little progressive, but in truth, this is still mostly a blues rock album. Fire Records are currently in the process of re-releasing all their classic albums I believe…

Goblin – The Fantastic Voyage Of… Decent best of, in preparation for the gig at the Union Chapel (see below)

Twelfth Night – Fact And Fiction / Reading Festival 1983. Neo-prog nostalgia, only these guys were streets ahead of Marillion et al. This is still one of my favourite songs ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEWl0Uf9PY

Live:

Goblin – Union Chapel, Islington. Must confess to not previously having been a massive fan of these guys, but this was a marvellously entertaining evening, basically their movie work greatest hits synched with scenes from the various films featuring plentiful zombies and blood-letting. Oh, and a very saucy bassist (he says, sounding about 100 years old).
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Aug 20, 2018, 15:55
Honestly squidy, it's a beautifully crafted album. It's probs my fav Black Tempest release (well fer now, the next one may eclipse it :). Tracks 2 and 3 wouldn't sound out of place on those Deutsche Elektronische Musik comps, they fit into the genre so well. Looking forward to the next one. Keep it up!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Aug 20, 2018, 15:59
That's the one. Love to know if they were gonna do any more in that style. (Though I guess if they kept it up, it could all get a bit Spinal Tap...so and so reads works by so and so :) The record kinda reminds me of those Alan Moore releases with David J and some other fella from several years back, 'The Highbury Working' etc....
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index