Bowie revised

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Bowie revised
Jul 25, 2018, 01:59
Intriguing:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/how-david-bowies-biggest-disappointment-became-a-posthumous-reworked-album-702189/
ottospooky
62 posts

Re: Bowie revised
Jul 25, 2018, 08:01
This is merely a way for greed heads to try to justify the purchase of a box set costing upwards of £100, to own records that you could potentially find for a couple of quid.

For better or worse the album exists with cheesy synths and drum loops or whatever. It is what it is.

The album belongs to us, not record companies, and it’s up to us whether we want to like it or dislike it. Getting Reeves Gabrels to give chisel away at the 80s dross and make it edgier is quite cynically a cash in.

I don’t really like this George Lucas approach to airbrushing out all the things we don’t like about the past. The new version of the album will merely become a new product of its time with the difference being that 30 years time people will have forgotten about it.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jul 25, 2018, 13:15
Jul 25, 2018, 13:15
ottospooky wrote:
This is merely a way for greed heads to try to justify the purchase of a box set costing upwards of £100

Yup. This will be getting bootlegged

That said, based on the Zeroes version they've been pushing. It's probably only worth that. I don't buy that it's "better" than the original. Gated snare or not
lawrence2
106 posts

Jul 25, 2018, 15:47
Sounds like Bowie fans are gonna be ripped off. If you want to indulge or torture yourself with 80s Bowie just get the original album...
ottospooky
62 posts

Jul 25, 2018, 20:33
lawrence2 wrote:
Sounds like Bowie fans are gonna be ripped off. If you want to indulge or torture yourself with 80s Bowie just get the original album...

Bowie fans are constantly ripped off. It seems to me like there are hundreds of extras in the archives but they just milk the same the same old thing in a brand new box.
Chesterwick
Chesterwick
64 posts

Jul 26, 2018, 11:06
There was an interview with Nigel Reeve (a key Parlophone reissue guy who's been behind a lot of Bowie stuff these last 20 years or so) sometime in 2016 where he stated that Bowie himself signed off everything currently being reissued until the end of this year.

So that could mean that from 2019 onwards the unreleased material archive doors are finally prized open.

Meeself, I'm waiting for the 'Ernie Johnson' tape from 1968 to appear soon; I think it's likely that the recording (around 30mins worth) will be in the public domain from the end of this year unless it's put out officially before then (rather like what Pink Floyd did with the first Syd recordings from '65 a few years back).
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Jul 27, 2018, 14:02
I'll be buying it.

Never Let me Down was the first Bowie album I owned, but the one I now play the least.

I loved the new version of Zeroes, and am stupidly excited to hear what the rest of it now sounds like. There are some great songs badly recorded on that album, so I am keen to hear.

Also,the live albums and extras make it worthwhile to me on their own.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jul 28, 2018, 03:37
I second that emotion!
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2018, 09:54
Jul 30, 2018, 09:54
ottospooky wrote:
Bowie fans are constantly ripped off. It seems to me like there are hundreds of extras in the archives but they just milk the same the same old thing in a brand new box.

Register at Bowie Station, and fill your boots!

https://www.bowiestation.com/
thesussexidler
64 posts

Sep 26, 2018, 13:50
I remember buying it in the knowledge I was seeing Bowie at Wembley the next week. The album was a 'one play only'- IMHO - and the concert had WAY too many new songs in it too. That's before we talk about the tour production itself!!! Anyway, he put it all right a few years later with a blistering Tin machine gig at Brixton. I thought - unfashionably - they were excellent.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index