Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Re: One, two....
Apr 11, 2018, 13:01
ottospooky wrote:
Purchased on CD but of course!

HH are very quick to get things out usually, but I hope an mp3-purchaser will provide us with an appraisal of the tracks soon.

Nostalgia, eh?

Had two listens of Skellington so far, can affirm the old Skellington vibe has indeed been brought back intact. But it's not a case of nostalgia - more like the inevitable (and welcomed) return of spring. I think most Cope fans will definitely be pleased. It's also longer than either of the original Skellington albums - close to 40 minutes. My only complaint is that the d/l version didn't come with any art. I assume the CD will have the expected photographs and liner notes.

The Dope d/l is kickin' too. Great sonic wallpaper to start the day.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 11, 2018, 15:50
That's what I get. I did raise it ages ago but doesn't seem to have gotten sorted. The orders still come through so not really a problem.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Apr 11, 2018, 22:23
A pleasant surprise when I got back from a long weekend away to see this in the merchandiser. Ordered mine yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning. And it's full of catchy tunes!! Lyrics printed in the booklet, featuring more Donato Cinicolo photos from back in the day. Recommended!
ottospooky
62 posts

Apr 15, 2018, 00:15
Well it’s all starting to permeate and I have to say it’s a very pleasant experience.

The obvious standout track is ‘Stop Harping On’ with its allusions to what’s been occurring in the last few years and it’s deferential view of the ‘good old days’ - and it’s nice to hear JC sing about the current - Brexit, Savile... I literally ‘LOL’d’ st the line ‘not even Peeble Mill/when you’re off sick from work’. Someone has recognised something within me.

There’s so much good other stuff. Some tracks like ‘.. Fortune Telling Machine’ and ‘Steel Street Waltz’ surely have Drunken Songs DNA. But these are apprently song orphans anyway.

Love the closing track. Love the opener. There’s not a lot of filler either.

I don’t think a lot of my opinion matters because most of the readers of this will have either purchased or are planning to purchase. But for what it’s worth it’s an amazing album.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Apr 15, 2018, 14:32
Only played it through once so far, standout tracks after that extensive listen are Parallel University and Very Krishna. All of it's great though!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Apr 15, 2018, 20:11
Didn't see Cope doing Very Krishna! That was a curveball.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Apr 15, 2018, 21:52
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Like I say, I've only played it the once, not read the lyrics - it sounded like a pisstake!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Edited Apr 17, 2018, 12:46
Apr 16, 2018, 22:36
too subtle for me then. But then I've always found it hard to follow Copey's train of thought so there's nothing new there.

*Edit* Well I enjoyed him singing the praises of the Hare Krsna's - I'm sure he'd make a great Krsna Devotee...
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

May 02, 2018, 12:33
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Well, oddly enough have you noticed that the chorus chords seem to mimic the most famous Krishna related No.1 hit single.
I wonder if that's a musical pun or what inspired the lyrical content.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index