Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited Nov 12, 2017, 21:15
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 November 2017 CE
Nov 12, 2017, 20:04
Fitter Stoke wrote:
David Sylvian 'Blemish' - God knows what's become of Sylvian of late: his website has been almost completely silent for years now and all of his post-Virgin output - including this wonderfully left field confessional - has been quietly removed from the market, presumably by the man himself. That's a great shame, because Sylvian has never been more interesting and abstractly inspirational than in the present century;

That's a shame, it's always worrying when an artist you enjoy goes AWOL without explaination. Here's hoping alls OK in Sylvian world, and some terrible lurgy hasn't taken hold. His last release was a Photo Collection and soundtrack for exhibition called Abandon/Hope.

The last albums I picked up were Manafon and Sleepwalkers (which I hadn't realised till looking over on discogs was a compilation) but whilst perusing the racks at home, am pleasanty surprised how much of his work I have, from Japan onwards.

I guess current lack of profile may also depend on sales involved in his post 2000, more challenging work. Maybe he feels it's just not worth the effort.

My missus said she read somewhere about his behaviour being a bit guru/culty, though she can't remember exactly where/when she saw this, though probably post 2005. Hmmmm, the plot thickens.....
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Nov 12, 2017, 20:21
bauheed wrote:
The Sons Of T.C.-Lethbridge - A Giant

You may enjoy this, it's Welbourn Tekh from Sons Of TC Lechbridge's solo effort....not as out there as SOTCL, but some nice moments all the same.

Duir - Stout Guardian Of The Door
https://soundcloud.com/tekh58/sets/duir-the-stout-guardian-of-the
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Nov 12, 2017, 21:02
Nov 12, 2017, 20:55
An annoyingly busy week, so just what I’ve been listening to in the car…

Charles Howl – My Idol Family. Perfect distillation of that particular type of English indie that sounds like it’s made by Syd Barrett-loving, home counties librarians. A recommendation in this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_obDqOMp7M

Atomic Rooster – Death Walks Behind You / In The Hearing Of… / Made In England. Great to revisit the AR back catalolgue. DWBY is pretty much a stone-cold classic, essential for any fan of proto-prog/early heavy music. But Vincent Crane was clearly a restless guy, apparently forever dissatisfied with AR’s line-up and direction. On ITHO, the sound is getting bluesier and funkier, smoothing off some of the jagged edges that made them interesting, and by MIE, they’re (ironically) attempting a simulacrum of that American soul rock sound, blustery and testifying, and not really pleasing anybody… Best remember them like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yO7l6TmIRI

(John Foxx – Assembly. This was actually one I forgot to mention from last week. I love his contribution to the new Belbury Circle album, but have never really got a handle on his solo stuff. This is a compilation drawn from his first four albums after leaving Ultravox, which see him go from icy/campy I-want-to-be-a-robot-isms to deciding that Van Morrison is a Very Good Thing (the words ‘Celtic soul’ send a chill through my soul). ‘Underpass’ still sounds great, but maybe you had to be there for the other stuff.)

Listen With Father:

La Feline – Triomphe. Described how much I was liking this to daughter one, who then insisted I play it on the school run. I think she really liked it, as well she might – think this is the best album I’ve heard from a ‘new artist’ (or at least new to me/the UK) all year. Without wanting to get too ‘women in rock’ about it, she does for brooding pagan pop what Jane Weaver does for folky Krautrock ie. bring a new spin to it and make something uniquely their own. Here’s the album, I strongly recommend you give it a listen: https://lafeline.bandcamp.com/album/triomphe
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Nov 12, 2017, 21:04
Art - Supernatural Fairytales

Bauhaus - In A Flat Field / Mask / The Sky's Gone Out

Be-Bop Deluxe - Live! In The Air Age (L.P. & E.P.)

David Bowie - Low

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Tim Buckley - Goodbye & Hello / Lorca / Starsailor

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Current 93 - Swastikas For Noddy / Crooked Crosses For The Nodding God / Earth Covers Earth

Genesis - Trespass / Nursery Cryme

Japan - Exorcising Ghosts (Double L.P.)

John Lennon - Mind Games/ Shaved Fish

Meat Beat Manifesto - Satyricon / Various E.P.s

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady / Mingus x5

Bill Nelson - Chimera / Simplex / Crimsworth

The Pentangle - Sweet Child / Basket Of Light / Cruel Sister / Pentangling

Sandie Shaw - Reviewing The Situation

Six Organs Of Admittance - Ascent

Spacemen 3 - Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To / Playing With Fire (2cd) / Recurring

David Sylvian - Alchemy: Index Of Possibilities

This Mortal Coil - It'll End In Tears / Filigree & Shadow / Blood

Trembling Bells - Carbeth

Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico (45th anniversary 2cd) / White Light White Heat (45th anniversary 2cd)

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth / Singles & Salad Days / Peel Session 1980

Frank Zappa/ Mothers Of Invention - Lumpy Gravy (original mono orchestral edit) / We're Only In It For The Money (mono)

The Zombies - Begin Here / Odessey & Oracle
keith a
9572 posts

Nov 12, 2017, 21:30
Before I say what I have listened to, can I just say that this has been my first Tarwater-free week since mid-September!

Anyway...here goes...

S/T (7” single) -Emma De Angelis
Here's the blurb from those nice Norman Records folk... “Emma de Angelis was an Italian library composer and musician who created music for TV and film alongside some of the Italian greats...These are the only tracks she made before becoming a full time visual artist and they are gems for anyone interested in that Italian ‘70s groove."

S/T (2003) – Killing Joke
I was mad on their self-titled debut LP. Kinda ironic that my next fave is probably also just called 'Killing Joke'. There are some great tracks on this one with Blood On Your Hands standing out this week.

The Nearest Exit – Memory Drawings
This is apparently their 3rd album, but I've only just discovered them. There are a couple of members of Hood involved and if you liked them, then you will probably like this, too. There are some really beautiful (instrumental) moments here.

Also...

The Days Of Pearly Spencer (CDS) – Marc Almond

Doctor Syntax – Edwyn Collins

Halloween Single (7” single) – Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds

St Julian – Julian Cope

Dead Magick – Dead Skeletons

Pink Moon – Nick Drake

II - Follakzoid

World Music – Goat

To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar

TFCF – Liars

You've Got A Woman (7” single) – Lion

Battle For Seattle - Little Roy

2016 Atomized - The Raveonettes

Inner Sanctum (12” single) – Pet Shop Boys

Glory Box (CDS) – Portishead

Stay Where You Are (7” single) – St Francis Hotel

The Slider Studio Sessions – T.Rex

Nocturnal Koreans - Wire
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 12, 2017, 21:57
thesweetcheat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Tangerine Dream - Zeit

my favourite LP changes with the wind but I'd say that Zeit has remained my 2nd favourite for longer than I'd care to admit, a wonderful and ageless LP

This was the first time I've ever heard it, bought it for myself as a birthday present in Cardiff HMV, was mainly amazed to find it in an actual shop to buy. Really like it on first play. This version has a 1972 live recording as second disc, which is also pretty epic.

I keep looking at the 2 disc version. I'll get around to it one day. If you like Zeit then you'll probably enjoy Alpha Centurai and Atem the LPs before and after Zeit
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Nov 12, 2017, 23:15
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Tangerine Dream - Zeit

my favourite LP changes with the wind but I'd say that Zeit has remained my 2nd favourite for longer than I'd care to admit, a wonderful and ageless LP

This was the first time I've ever heard it, bought it for myself as a birthday present in Cardiff HMV, was mainly amazed to find it in an actual shop to buy. Really like it on first play. This version has a 1972 live recording as second disc, which is also pretty epic.

I keep looking at the 2 disc version. I'll get around to it one day. If you like Zeit then you'll probably enjoy Alpha Centurai and Atem the LPs before and after Zeit

Excellent thanks for the recommendations. Until now the only one I had (which I love) was Phaedra.
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Nov 13, 2017, 08:14
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I really like A Giant.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Nov 13, 2017, 12:49
Fatalist wrote:
(John Foxx – Assembly. This was actually one I forgot to mention from last week. I love his contribution to the new Belbury Circle album, but have never really got a handle on his solo stuff. This is a compilation drawn from his first four albums after leaving Ultravox, which see him go from icy/campy I-want-to-be-a-robot-isms to deciding that Van Morrison is a Very Good Thing (the words ‘Celtic soul’ send a chill through my soul). ‘Underpass’ still sounds great, but maybe you had to be there for the other stuff.)

Well worth checking out the stiff he's done since returning to the music scene in the mid-90s. He releases at least two albums a year and I can't keep up (I've only got as far as his 2015 releases at the moment), but would very much recommend the releases as John Foxx & The Maths.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Nov 13, 2017, 15:04
machineryelf wrote:

Nazareth -s/t,Exercises

I love this album. Just a shame it didn't get the same treatment as No Mean City, Malice In Wonderland, Rampant etc treatment.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index