Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2017, 09:34
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 September 2017 CE
Sep 10, 2017, 23:59
Philip Selway – Let Me Go OST. “Drummer from Radiohead releases soundtrack from depressing-looking art movie” might not be much of a pitch, but this is really rather good. Will certainly appeal to, err, Radiohead fans anyway, though this is great in anybody’s money: https://soundcloud.com/bella-union/philip-selway-let-me-go

English Heretic – Summer Of Blood. More ritual drones and ruminations on various arcane aspects of our history from Mr Heretic. There’s a load of obscure psych tracks in here apparently, not that you’d know it… https://englishheretic.bandcamp.com/album/summer-of-blood

UUUU – U1. Electro-industrial team-up including Graham Lewis and the new guitarist from Wire, and that Thighpaulsandra bloke. Frustrating album, three-quarters of it unedifying skronk you’ll never want to hear again, but the remaining quarter is pretty decent, such as: https://soundcloud.com/editionsmego/uuuu-verlagerung-verlagerung-verlagerung-emego-239

ESG – A South Bronx Story. Thanks to Robot Emperor for reminding me of this, pretty much ground zero for that early 80s Factory death disco sound. Ludicrously influential and sampled to hell. Essential for both post-punk and hip hop connoisseurs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgS1_-oWkzY

Hawkwind – Levitation. The 3CD set including the live show featuring Ginger Baker – when he wasn’t falling over, that man certainly knew how to keep busy on the drums. Anyway, the album that pretty much set the template for their output in the 80s/90s.

Black Sabbath – Sabbath Bloody Sabbath / Sabotage / Technical Ecstasy / Never Say Die! A voyage through the latter half of the Ozzy years. I’ve always been very sniffy about TE, but listening to it in the new MQA audio format, I was beginning to wonder whether it actually was possible to polish a turd, as it sounded great, even if half the songs give Spinal Tap a run for their money, particularly in the lyrical department. I remain mystified by the critical kicking that NSD! still routinely gets, as it’s just obviously better than TE, and for the most part, successfully breaks new ground – just listen to the monolithic jazz rock of ‘Breakout’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy76bBy78F8

Listen With Father:

Massive Attack – Mezzanine. Ahh, school term begins, and once again the kids are trapped in a car with me… Thought I’d ease them back into the academic year with this gloomy/magnificent slab of industrial gothic trip hop. Dank as hell but the first four tracks in particular are untouchably great…

Kraftwerk – The Mix. However, they like this better.

R is for…

Rocket From The Tombs – The Day The Earth Met… The band that would morph into Pere Ubu, but never put anything out during their short existence, this is a collection of demos and a surprisingly well-recorded live set. Every one of their early songs sounds like they’ve been lifted from the Stooges/Alice Cooper/Stones/Bowie, but that still makes for a pretty good sound, and then along comes a recording of ’30 Seconds Over Tokyo’ which is almost as disturbing as the PU version. And there’s a brilliant take of ‘Final Solution’ from the live set, forgotten what a great song it is… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw40yqSZP6g
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 11, 2017, 06:37
keith a wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

The Teardrop Explodes - Wilder

Wilder for me, too. I've been searching for the disc for ages since I came across my empty cd case. And then last week I finally found the disc. In my laptop! Doh!!

Relief all round!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Sep 11, 2017, 17:34
Had a busy few weeks, holidaying an Anglesey, Ferrying kids to and from various festivals etc... so more tunes than I usual get through in a week or so.

Broadcast - Tender Buttons/ Ha Ha Sound

Death And Vanilla - To Where The Wild Things Are

John Foxx - The Garden

Add N To X - Loud Like Nature/ Avant Hard

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Creedence - Best Of

Doors - Best Of 40th Anniversary Mixes

Dr John - Best Of

Dollkraut - Holy Ghost People

Pye Corner Audio - Stasis

Gary Numan - Living Ornaments 79/80

Cope - Syd Arthur CD

Cavern Of Anti Matter - Blood Drums/ Void Beats...

Dreadzone - 360 Degrees

Disrupt - Foundation Bit

Primal Scream - Evil Heat

Various - Dub Chill Out

Hawkwind - In Search Of.../Doremi...

Sunlight Service Group - Live from The Moon

Bauhaus - Go Away White/ Press The Eject

The Warlocks - Phoenix

That's about all I can recall, have a great week all!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 11, 2017, 19:29
Monganaut wrote:
Had a busy few weeks, holidaying an Anglesey, Ferrying kids to and from various festivals etc... so more tunes than I usual get through in a week or so.

Nice list, hope you enjoyed the Mon. We finished walking round its coast line a couple of weeks ago, I've got very fond of the island over the last 12 months.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Sep 12, 2017, 00:13
Anglesey was great, we had the 10 days or so of great weather before the last week or so wash out. Slightly envious you live so close as to be able to complete the coastal path. Did a 'megalithic' camping holiday a few years ago, so this was a chilled out holiday, with a few sights fitted in on the way to other bits and bobs around the island. Still managed not to see the reconstructed Trefignath tomb. Managed to cycle right past it twice, but looking on google/streetmap after the fact, a was right on top of it...didn't help that I only had the 1928 OS map on me...roads are much different now.

If you need a nice base next time you're there, this place is the dogs. Owners have made a 3 acre wildlife garden around the properties, which pretty much have all you need except your good selves, food and clothes, and are really lovely/helpful folk to boot. http://www.derifawr.co.uk/

Was great to have the peace and quiet, and those wonderful dark night skies. Hadn't seen the milky way so clear in I don't know how long. Got hooked on trying to find the sites of those demolished Anglesey tombs and stones mentioned in the free to DL PDF book 'The Megalithic Remains Of Anglesey - E N Baynes https://archive.org/details/cu31924029933011 to see if I could make more sense of the Megalithic landscapes of Y Mon, was fun!
Beebon
1375 posts

Sep 12, 2017, 05:10
Blood Farmers - Blood Farmers
Moebius & Plank - Rastakraut Pasta
Electric Wizard - Time To Die
Iron Man - The Passage
Alice Cooper - Paranormal
Melvins - Lysol
Marillion - Season's End
Marillion - This Strange Engine
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 12, 2017, 06:01
That sounds like a wonderful trip.

We're not that close (Cheltenham)!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Sep 12, 2017, 20:01
We were in your neck of the woods last Wednesday for a mooch fer me missus 50th. Lovely part of the world, esp loved the Wilson Gallery, some cool stuff in there. Were in Brum, so only a little further. Mind you, any route through darkest Wales to it's fringes takes an age from the Midlands. We stupidly booked during a bank holiday, and fer our sins it took 6 and a half hours to go 165 miles....insane.

Who is that Asian busker in Chelty's high street with the amazing crooner voice? Did a complete double take walking past. If a body and a voice shouldn't fit it was that guy. Great set of lungs though.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 12, 2017, 20:50
If you're in Brum, you're nearer to Anglesey than us, as we have to go via B'ham New Street to get anywhere in Wales between Aberystwyth and Chester (no cars in our household). I like the trains along the Welsh coasts, north, west and south.

No idea about the busker, I hardly ever go into Cheltenham, I work in Gloucester and the "buskers" there are definitely not of a high calibre :)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2381 posts

Sep 13, 2017, 10:55
Yeah, that train journey is a beaut, also the Cambrian Coaster up from Aberystwyth to Pwhelli, or vice versa (which is still fairly cheap for a day return).
TBH, with 4 adults in the family now (albeit, 2 are still kids to us), we've been priced off the trains, much as I'd like to use them (not a real fan of driving). Last time we jumped the train to Llandudno, it was constant delays, 2 cancelled trains and no loo, all for the price of 4 full tanks of fuel, insane.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index