Warpaint - st

Have a nice week x
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited May 01, 2017, 22:32
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 April 2017 CE
May 01, 2017, 22:30
Flowers Must Die – Kompost. Swedish krautrocking kollective – pinch of Can, bit of Amon Duul II, touch of Hawkwind, hint of Bjork… Variable, but overall pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbmbPdzCtWs

Oxbow – Thin Black Duke. Arty noise rock types who’ve been around for enough time for The Wire to run a profile on them (probably). Worth spending some time with if you’re a fan of provocative if melodic music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcx4DAiqiCA

The Sword – Greetings From… Never heard this lot before, but seen the name around for years. This is a live ‘best of’ apparently, but to these ears, second division stoner prog. Didn’t get to the end.

The Heliocentrics – A World Of Masks. Another band that seem to have been around for years without threatening to move into the top league. Decent enough in places, but they’ve still ploughing a turn of the century jazzy trip-hop furrow. Addition of Amy Winehouse-a-like singer probably seemed like a good idea at the time…

Dream Machine – The Illusion. Just a great album. A little insubstantial perhaps, but irresistibly hooky.

VA – Back On The Street Again. Australian ‘rare funk/soul/psych’ comp. It’s OK, but was abandoned after a particularly cheesy TOTP-style take of ‘Superstition’.

VA – Barry 7’s Connectors 2. This on the other hand is one of the finest comps ever. Superb Italian library selection from Add N To (X) bloke, every track a gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiM1QtJr69A

Listen With Father:

Queens Of The Stone Age – Rated R. Kids currently in the grip of a School Of Rock obsession, wondered what they’d make of this. Not much – “It was too loud for me to listen to”. Tut. This album really helped put me back on the righteous path of rock. Killer single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0nzPpvbFs

G is for…

Girls Against Boys – Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby. I had forgotten just what a brilliant album this is. Made in 1993, it’s like a continuation of late 80s US post-hardcore, but with added groove – in fact, in places it’s quite like what QOTSA would do, while still being indebted to Big Black etc. It also somehow manages to bypass grunge, which must have been a pretty tough thing at the time to do for any noisy American band. Trivia fact: The publisher that originally put out Marlon Jones’ Booker-winning ‘A Brief History Of Seven Killings’ was founded by one of the guys from GVsB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0pQV4ekNs
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 03, 2017, 01:22
I saw Oxbow in London at the turn of the 90s. I think they'd been around for a while then and had been the Whipping Boy before that.
Eugene was like a black Henry Rollins but I think the studio stuff was more psychedelic.
I saw them play Rough Trade, presumably Neal's Yard after accidentally taking a gram of speed then wound up hitching to see them somewhere up the M1.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited May 03, 2017, 10:51
May 03, 2017, 10:50
Stevo wrote:
I saw Oxbow in London at the turn of the 90s. I think they'd been around for a while then and had been the Whipping Boy before that.
Eugene was like a black Henry Rollins but I think the studio stuff was more psychedelic.
I saw them play Rough Trade, presumably Neal's Yard after accidentally taking a gram of speed then wound up hitching to see them somewhere up the M1.

I saw them at the ICA in 2003 (I think), pretty chaotic. The only other thing I have by them is their debut Fuckfest, which is half-unlistenable, half-rather good in an avant post-hardcore way.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

May 03, 2017, 10:55
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Nova Mob - The Last Days of Pompeii. My first exposure to this lot and my point of reference was that they were like The Pixies, only better. Don't know much about them, tho I'm sure someone on this board does...

Grant Hart's band after he'd left Husker Du. Some great (and quite experimental) stuff on that album, which in retrospect has probably aged better than Bob Mould's contemporary Black Sheets Of Rain (not that I've heard that in years, but the title track always reminded me of Bryan Adams' Run To You).
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

May 04, 2017, 23:06
Fatalist wrote:

Nova Mob - The Last Days of Pompeii. My first exposure to this lot and my point of reference was that they were like The Pixies, only better. Don't know much about them, tho I'm sure someone on this board does...

Grant Hart's band after he'd left Husker Du. Some great (and quite experimental) stuff on that album, which in retrospect has probably aged better than Bob Mould's contemporary Black Sheets Of Rain (not that I've heard that in years, but the title track always reminded me of Bryan Adams' Run To You).

Not heard Nova Mob for ages. I devoured 2541 at the time (the single aound then). I recently got Bob Mould's 25th anniversary deluxe of Workbook - his first solo offering. Still very fresh and not dated much.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

May 05, 2017, 08:52
garerama wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

Not heard Nova Mob for ages. I devoured 2541 at the time (the single aound then). I recently got Bob Mould's 25th anniversary deluxe of Workbook - his first solo offering. Still very fresh and not dated much.

I liked Workbook a lot when it came out, should revisit...
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 05, 2017, 10:06
Has Workbook come out as an expanded set with live stuff on. In which case that would be the band with Tony Maimone and Anton Fier, saw them at the Astoria and they were very good. Rocked up some of the material from the lp which I think was recorded in the studio with other instrumentation
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

May 05, 2017, 16:40
Stevo wrote:
Has Workbook come out as an expanded set with live stuff on. In which case that would be the band with Tony Maimone and Anton Fier, saw them at the Astoria and they were very good. Rocked up some of the material from the lp which I think was recorded in the studio with other instrumentation

Yes bonus disc with live set indeed. The entire album and more live with a couple of acoustic Huskers at the end. It is rockin'.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index