2017: First Quarter

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Apr 10, 2017, 12:51
2017: First Quarter
Apr 10, 2017, 12:26
So, how's it going so far? Found any new bands? Bought anything new? Seen anything really special? Or do you have advice on what to avoid?

Best live experience:
So far for me was Tony Allen & Band doing a set based on or in tribute to Art Blakey last month at the Kentish Town O2. Stunning. Also the Heliocentrics turned in a blinder, down the bill, that same evening.

Camille O'Sullivan turned in a good set in Shrewsbury about a month back, too.

PIL supported by Dreadzone in Leicester was a top night. Both were the best I'd seen them to date I reckon, even though the Dreads were a man down, that night.

I regret that I wasn't able to see Julian Cope on that Spring tour.

New purchases:
Well, so far, I've only got a couple of 2017 releases. The Dreadzone album 'Dreadtimes' is good - and would be brilliant if not let down by some... I dunno, sixth form lyrics. Goldfrapp have come up trumps, though. 'Silver Eye' is a goodie.

I'm also enjoying 'Zen Bastard' by Earthling Society.

I've tickets and plans for plenty more gigs and festivals to come - and several forthcoming releases planned in coming weeks.

What about you?
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: 2017: First Quarter
Apr 10, 2017, 18:25
Had a pretty good start here, been exploring some lovely Welsh folky/acousitic sounds of Julie Murphy, Bendith and The Gentle Good, also got to see Gruff Rhys in January which was just a completely enjoyable experience.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Edited Apr 11, 2017, 14:08
Apr 10, 2017, 19:27
Earthling Society (sorry I had to leave early, neighbour problems) and Dead Sea Apes live in Todmorden

New Wire album

Continued fun as a member of Beastfish

T'other band recently gaining ex-Duruttis, Mothmen, Pink Military, Suns Of Arqa, S***** R** etc. member

New-to-me Barrett material circulated

Benefits Agency held at bay

Looking forward to Gnod-in-Tod this Thursday.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 08:36
Cope was magnificent at The Roundhouse. Lovely venue, very accessible to a chap with a stick.

Despite not being overly fond of the new album, I loved the gig. And had great seats.

Inspired me to get the Tom Hickox CD, which is a great listen.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 09:45
Hello Myers! Long time and all that.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 15:45
Kid Calamity wrote:
Hello Myers! Long time and all that.

I lurk, but seldom post!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 17:23
Spectres @ Mono, Falmouth were very loud and also rather good last month

Don't think I've actually bought any CD's so far this year. The shame, the shame. Must go and order some...

Haven't reached 2017 in my listening list yet but the following new to me albums meet with my approval (listened to in the last few months, but mostly from last year):

Radiohead - A moon shaped pool

Melanie De Biasio - Blackened Cities

Lima - ii

The Comet is Coming - Channel the Spirits

Cult of Dom Keller - Goodbye to the Light

Peter Stampfel - Dook of the Beatniks. Just love this guy's songwriting. Guy from The Fugs

Donny McCaslin - Beyond Now. Bowie's backing band for Blackstar

Underworld - Barbara, Barbara, we face a shining future

Leonard Cohen - You want it Darker
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 18:22
Cope shows & new CD...a few bootlegs and you tube clips
New King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard CD was great...saw them last Sat at great venue....was a wonderful time. & latest news is another CD is about to drop.
Pretty good year (thanks Tori) so far.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Apr 13, 2017, 03:39
New Music Highlights

Pigs x7 - Feed The Rats
Crystal Fairy - Crystal Fairy
The Nightingales - Become Not Becoming
All Them Witches - Sleeping Through The War
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana
Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Navigator
Desert Mountain Tribe - Either That Or The Moon
Sleaford Mods - English Tapas
Jesca Hoop - Memories Are Now
Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics
Black Angels - Death Song
VA / Lord Yatesbury - Due to Lack of Interst, Tomorrow Has Been Cancelled

Live Music Highlights

Anthrax at Bristol Academy
Julian Cope at Bristol Fleece

Game Highlights

Mass Effect Andromeda
Destiny 2 announcement videos (hilarious)

Life Highlights

Chance of voluntary redundancy in the summer from my job as a college lecturer and a new start afterwards. Digits crossed...

Nice thread, KC - there are enough lowlights on the news or facebook feed, and this topic has reminded me 2017 has had some life affirming moments despite our inevitable trudge towards global fascism with the added sprinkling of the possibility of a nice thermonuclear war in the process. Ho Hum :)
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Apr 18, 2017, 20:55
It’s been a great year so far – I think this would be a decent year-end top 10 to be honest:

Slomo – Transits. Brilliant dark ambient drone. The shorter tracks (3x 20+ mins) make the ideas more concise compared to previous albums and each track is class.

Six Organs of Admittance – Burning the Threshold. Chasny is mainly on acoustic guitar here. A beautiful record that grows with each listen.

Grails – Chalice Hymnal. More cinematic soundscapes from Emil Amos and co. I wouldn’t say it’s as good as Deep Politics but still a wonderful set with loads of ideas and great production as ever.

Zu – Jhator. A veteran Italian band I’d never heard. But saw a review and then the write up on the label site by Jimmy Martin so took a punt. Defies genres as it kind of blends ambient, rock, modern composition etc. Two side long tracks inspired by sky burial rituals.

Gnod – Just say no… Heavy and angry, great repetitive riffs and classic Gnod rhythm with rudimentary Comets on Fire electronics. Love it.

Kleefstra/Bakker/Kleefstra – Dize. Ambient guitar and effects with expressionist Friesen poetry.

Blown Out – Superior Venus. More classic power trio meditations from Mike Vest and co. Like all the others but they seem to get slightly better on each release! A recent purchase on heavy rotation.

Avec le Soleil Sortant de sa Bouche – Pas Pire Pop (I love you so much). This is great fun. A kind of afro-beat-funk meets krautrock played by 4 musicians from the Montreal avante-garde scene. Check the glowing reviews on Quietus and Closer Listen. Watch out for blasts of noise but it flows from idea to idea through it’s 40 minutes, and in the main is catchy as hell.

Gnoomes – Tschak! Wasn’t going to get this but picked it up in the Rocket Recordings spring sale and I love it. Interesting and inventive electronic songs.

The Necks – Unfold. Wonderful double vinyl released by Stephen O’Malley. Blue Mountain is probably my favourite track of the year (competing with a couple of the Slomo pieces).

And I promised to limit myself to 10 so no room for Lawrence English, Richard Pinhas, Pigs x 7! And two Cope releases that I've enjoyed.

Live it’s been good too. Thoroughly enjoyed Cope (Roundhouse and Newcastle), the intimate Six Organs gig in St Pancras church where Chasny played tracks from the new album live for the first time. Grails weren’t the best I’ve seen them but reached a few great highs. Was at Fat Out Fest (Islington Mill) at the weekend featuring a streamlined TOTS three-piece, Blown Out, the marvellous acoustic guitar of Filho da Mae, Data Quack featuring Charles Hayward on drums and an incredible set by a Japanese band called Qujaku who seemed to blow everyone away!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index