Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl (remastered)

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ethericat
42 posts

Edited Apr 04, 2017, 18:02
The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl (remastered)
Apr 04, 2017, 18:01
Puts paid to the general myth, and sure, it was 'balls to the wall' (sic) but underneath all that screaming, what a fucking band. Punk rock and roll.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Re: The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl (remastered)
Apr 04, 2017, 18:18
I have this on vinyl, from yonks ago. i remember it was pretty raw.

I'm almost within touching distance of hearing my vinyl once more. The turntable motor's fixed. it has a new belt, I've a nice Cambridge Audio amp, a pair of big old Wharfdales - and even a nice Marantz CD player... It's all plumbed in, sitting inside a cupboard in a sideboard through which various power leads and wires pass.

It was exhausting work, being contorted into that cupboard with a torch some tools and (uh oh...) borrowed reading glasses.

I threw the switch... silence.

Turns out I now need a power amp.

My quest continues...
Ethericat
42 posts

Apr 04, 2017, 18:31
Kid Calamity wrote:

I'm almost within touching distance of hearing my vinyl once more. The turntable motor's fixed. it has a new belt, I've a nice Cambridge Audio amp, a pair of big old Wharfdales - and even a nice Marantz CD player... It's all plumbed in, sitting inside a cupboard in a sideboard through which various power leads and wires pass.

It was exhausting work, being contorted into that cupboard with a torch some tools and (uh oh...) borrowed reading glasses.

My quest continues...

Well, hey! I know they're deliberately not cool/overrated/ in these deliberately otherwise self appointed parts, but just felt the urge to nudge the lurkers (I hope).
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Apr 04, 2017, 18:39
Ethericat wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:

My quest continues...

Well, hey! I know they're deliberately not cool/overrated/ in these deliberately otherwise self appointed parts, but just felt the urge to nudge the lurkers (I hope).

Don't worry the bhoy keeps the Harrison flag flying high, often in the hills :-)
carol27
747 posts

Apr 04, 2017, 21:06
Ethericat wrote:
Puts paid to the general myth, and sure, it was 'balls to the wall' (sic) but underneath all that screaming, what a fucking band. Punk rock and roll.

Is that the one where Lennon was going mental? I mean finally freed from the Beatles format & him & George were having a right laugh? I think actually that might be Shea Stadium. They are really raw at times & brilliant.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 04, 2017, 21:20
Shea would presumably have been closer to John genuinely going mad in the wake of pressure from the blow up of the Jesus comment.
There's a film of that gig at least. It's the one where they're wearing military jackets , not the satin ones from Sgt Peppers but matching beige ones.
Ethericat
42 posts

Apr 05, 2017, 07:54
There's an Om Sign flag billowing in Caledonia, and here in Avalon too!
Ethericat
42 posts

Apr 05, 2017, 07:58
That was Shea when he went off his rocker in a good way. They all had a ball that night, though I'm sure it was tempered for Paul knowing that it was the end of touring, which he wanted to continue. His overall playing and singing on Hollywood Bowl is outstanding, and George's lead guitar breaks are far more savage and rocking. They sound unleashed from the studio, especially on the Rock and Roll standards. You can here Hamburg/Cavern coming through, with added extratof a superb drummer.
Ethericat
42 posts

Apr 05, 2017, 07:59
Apparently the recent Ron Howard film had the whole Shea gig, sound remastered as well as picture. Meant to be very good. I haven't seen it, and the dvd bonus disc doesn't include it either. Only some extras. I'll pass.
tk421
121 posts

Apr 05, 2017, 11:34
Will check this out.

Love and appreciate them more and more as time goes by. Love the early albums sound and the later albums quantum leaps forward.

Love the songwriting throughout.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index