Unsung Forum »
Buckingham Nicks

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Buckingham Nicks
Mar 18, 2017, 00:39
I've finally, FINally heard, in a fair to decent format, the "Buckingham Knicks" album, by the aforementioned Lindsey and Stevie of subsequent Fleetwood Mac fame.

It's a really lovely album, full of the great melodies, harmonies and genius guitar work that they would go on to bring to what would be the US FM radio crushing version of Fleetwood Mac.

Their recruitment into the band is surely one of the most wonderfully, serendipitous moments of wandering about in rock history, if you ascribe to Mick Fleetwood's account of how he heard the duo first.

It's still a weirdness that, given the desperate state of the main-stream music industry, that this has never, actually, been given a proper CD release. Very odd.
hallgeraet
hallgeraet
96 posts

Re: Buckingham Nicks
Mar 18, 2017, 01:51
"Frozen Love" deserves the term epic, a really nice pocket symphony. :)

Buckingham developed a style completely of his own, both as a composer and as a guitarist. His fingerpicking technique is awesome. Here he almost sounds like Summers/Fripp:
https://youtu.be/HCGKFY9NBZY?t=3m45s
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 18, 2017, 05:53
Mar 18, 2017, 05:47
It's a very good record for the time but it doesn't have anything that screams "radio hit". It's by no means blindingly obvious that they were capable of contributing so much to what came next. And what happens if Fleetwood hadn't falled out with Weston or Kirwan had been easier to work with? No Rumours that's for sure. Not sure if Fleetwood is a genius or the luckiest man in show business. A fair bit of both.

I've actually been listening to Stevie Nicks' last couple of releases a fair amount of late (both brilliant). Those alongside the Kirwan / Weston / Welch era Mac albums. Other than Kiln House with its r&r pastiches, that early 70s sequence of records is only really let down by poor production and the "it's my turn now" / too-many-cooks approach to song selection. They are fantastically inconsistent but even so there is a really good 1 x cd compilation to be made up from those six albums. More even. Amazing that two of those albums are as good as unavailable.

On a related topic have you heard the demos version of the Tusk album? Just brilliant. Remind me to get that to you.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 17:08
Never heard a great deal of those "in between" era Mac albums apart from the odd track on a compehensive comp I bought on cassette years ago.

I see what you mean about the "Buckingham/Nicks" album perhaps lacking the immediacy of "Rumours", but I have come to love it. As a culty, floaty, folky rock thing it floats my boat muchly. Some lovely playing from Mr B.

Interestingly, one of the comments under the Youtube link for the album reckons that the most recent Mac album, the one with all but Christine McV essentially sounded like a "Buckingham Nicks II" album with the FM rhythm section. If that's true, I'm certainly more interested in hearing it than I was before!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 17:35
Moon Cat wrote:
Never heard a great deal of those "in between" era Mac albums apart from the odd track on a compehensive comp I bought on cassette years ago.

I see what you mean about the "Buckingham/Nicks" album perhaps lacking the immediacy of "Rumours", but I have come to love it. As a culty, floaty, folky rock thing it floats my boat muchly. Some lovely playing from Mr B.

Interestingly, one of the comments under the Youtube link for the album reckons that the most recent Mac album, the one with all but Christine McV essentially sounded like a "Buckingham Nicks II" album with the FM rhythm section. If that's true, I'm certainly more interested in hearing it than I was before!

Floats my boat too. I am just amazed that they went from there to the s/t record in one jump. As for the most recent one "Say You Will" is that it? If so that is a pretty good description as B&N wrote virtually all of it though the production isn't as nicely hazy as the first BN one. Also her voice is already a bit on the ravaged side by the early 00s. Depends on what you like. Must dig that out again!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2017, 18:16
Mar 21, 2017, 18:15
Mr Cat

Are you saying there is now a decent release of B-N on CD or that you found one through a contact?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 18:27
Vybik Jon wrote:
Mr Cat

Are you saying there is now a decent release of B-N on CD or that you found one through a contact?

All the CD versions are bootlegs, but I have one which is fairly decent sounding (albeit ripped from vinyl). There's no officially sanctioned version on CD though - the two parties involved seem to regard that album as a bit of a skeleton in the closet for some reason. A recent article in Uncut seemed to suggest that relations between them are still pretty volatile despite all the re-unions, so perhaps they've never stayed on good terms for long enough to negotiate terms for a re-issue.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2017, 19:09
Mar 21, 2017, 19:07
Popel Vooje wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
Mr Cat

All the CD versions are bootlegs, but I have one which is fairly decent sounding (albeit ripped from vinyl). There's no officially sanctioned version on CD though - the two parties involved seem to regard that album as a bit of a skeleton in the closet for some reason. A recent article in Uncut seemed to suggest that relations between them are still pretty volatile despite all the re-unions, so perhaps they've never stayed on good terms for long enough to negotiate terms for a re-issue.

There is a fairly recent Mac documentary (possibly a BBC one) where Stevie Nicks says, when asked about their relationship, that she had never been invited to Buckingham's home. So ok then. Maybe not especially convivial but perfectly understandable given the history. However, if I have the chronology right, later in the same show there is a scene shot in Buckingham's home with his new wife who is (of course) a dead ringer for Stevie. Don't know about volatile but that is fairly weird by anyone's standard. Judging by the tour a couple of years back he is still a brilliant guitar player though.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 19:32
Vybik Jon wrote:
Mr Cat

It was a streaming thing on YouTube. That's all I know I'm afraid.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 21, 2017, 19:35
IanB wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
Mr Cat

There is a fairly recent Mac documentary (possibly a BBC one) where Stevie Nicks says, when asked about their relationship, that she had never been invited to Buckingham's home. So ok then. Maybe not especially convivial but perfectly understandable given the history. However, if I have the chronology right, later in the same show there is a scene shot in Buckingham's home with his new wife who is (of course) a dead ringer for Stevie. Don't know about volatile but that is fairly weird by anyone's standard. Judging by the tour a couple of years back he is still a brilliant guitar player though.

There is also a brilliant bit of body language commentary in that BBC Doc in a bit of reunion gig live footage. LB and SN are doing a fairly intimate tune together and she absolutely clasps her hands around him as if to say "Still mine"
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index