16 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Mar 12, 2017, 22:01
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 March 2017 CE
Mar 12, 2017, 21:43
Cakewalk – Ishihara. Good album, in places like Tangerine Dream if they’d gone industrial circa 1977.

Hawkwind – The Xenon Codex / Space Bandits. Working my way through the recent GWR boxset. Never heard either of these two before, which feels like a shocking admission for a self-proclaimed Hawkfan, but my head was definitely somewhere else when these first came out. However, I’m afraid that on first hearing, TXC sounds particularly lack lustre and directionless (I thought I’d read somewhere that this was the accepted opinion of this album, but it gets glowing reviews on Amazon…). SB is stronger, even if some of the arrangements suck the energy out of the songs – it also saw the return of Simon House on violin, which is cause for a tentative thumbs-up.

Listen With Father:

Siouxsie And The Banshees – Twice Upon A Time. Strange in a way that they were a lot poppier when they were punkier. Their second singles collection is actually quite hard work a lot of the time – there’s plenty of interesting sounds and ideas, but often a real lack of melody too. All a bit gloomy for the school run to be honest.

E is for…

Electric Wizard – Come My Fanatics. Been meaning to play this again for a while after an interesting retrospective piece in The Quietus. In fact, I don’t think I’ve really ever properly listened to this (though I have a memory of painting the spare bedroom in my old flat to it ;-0). Anyway, there’s a bit of a cosmic/space rock thing going on here among the down-tuned Sabbath worship, which actually works rather well, particularly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH9OqfWQslg You always know what you’re getting with Electric Wizard, and Dopethrone is still their pinnacle of monstrous, drug-addled riffology, but CMF is also worthy of your attention.

Unsung Forum Index