Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 March 2017 CE
Mar 12, 2017, 21:21
Stevo wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Hoagy Carmichael - Greatest Hits - Over 200 tracks in this collection so it's gonna take me a while.

The early pre-film James Bond gets compared to looking like Hoagy Carmichael in at least one book. Has always stuck in my mind.

Other than that Stark Reality did a good lp of songs he wrote for children.
Nice jazzy funky stuff with the odd sound of an electric glockenspiel as lead instrument and the guitar of John Abercrombie.

I never knew the Bond description, I can see that.
garage flower
22 posts

Mar 12, 2017, 21:29
The Stone Roses - S/T

Verve - voyager 1
Verve - A Storm In Heaven

Yes - Relayer

Blown Out- New Cruiser

Oasis- Be here Now (remastered)

Lots of youtube this week, exploring Cream live, some live Yes performances, Neil Young, as well as watching some ancient clips of The Seekers
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Mar 12, 2017, 22:01
Mar 12, 2017, 21:43
Cakewalk – Ishihara. Good album, in places like Tangerine Dream if they’d gone industrial circa 1977.

Hawkwind – The Xenon Codex / Space Bandits. Working my way through the recent GWR boxset. Never heard either of these two before, which feels like a shocking admission for a self-proclaimed Hawkfan, but my head was definitely somewhere else when these first came out. However, I’m afraid that on first hearing, TXC sounds particularly lack lustre and directionless (I thought I’d read somewhere that this was the accepted opinion of this album, but it gets glowing reviews on Amazon…). SB is stronger, even if some of the arrangements suck the energy out of the songs – it also saw the return of Simon House on violin, which is cause for a tentative thumbs-up.

Listen With Father:

Siouxsie And The Banshees – Twice Upon A Time. Strange in a way that they were a lot poppier when they were punkier. Their second singles collection is actually quite hard work a lot of the time – there’s plenty of interesting sounds and ideas, but often a real lack of melody too. All a bit gloomy for the school run to be honest.

E is for…

Electric Wizard – Come My Fanatics. Been meaning to play this again for a while after an interesting retrospective piece in The Quietus. In fact, I don’t think I’ve really ever properly listened to this (though I have a memory of painting the spare bedroom in my old flat to it ;-0). Anyway, there’s a bit of a cosmic/space rock thing going on here among the down-tuned Sabbath worship, which actually works rather well, particularly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH9OqfWQslg You always know what you’re getting with Electric Wizard, and Dopethrone is still their pinnacle of monstrous, drug-addled riffology, but CMF is also worthy of your attention.
keith a
9574 posts

Mar 12, 2017, 22:07
Everything Is Good Here / Please Come Home – Angels Of Light

Help! - The Beatles

Safe As Milk – Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

You Want It Darker – Leonard Cohen

Dead Magick - Dead Skeletons

Transmission - Death In Vegas

II - Follakzoid

Absolute Dissent – Killing Joke

Phantom Radio – Mark Lanegan Band

The Invisible Way - Low

Distant Sun I & II – Mugstar
Axis – Mugstar
Magnetic Seasons – Mugstar

Frontline EP - Nightdubbing

Become Not Becoming EP – The Nightingales

Close To The Glass – The Notwist

The Only Ones - The Only Ones

This Is... - Augustus Pablo

Let It Come Down – Spiritualized

Electric Warrior – T.Rex

It-ness – Hox
Commercial Suicide – Colin Newman
Coatings – Wire
Read & Burn 3 - Wire
S/T - Wire

Back To Land – Wooden Shjips
Beebon
1375 posts

Mar 13, 2017, 07:58
Fatalist wrote:

E is for…

Electric Wizard – Come My Fanatics. Been meaning to play this again for a while after an interesting retrospective piece in The Quietus. In fact, I don’t think I’ve really ever properly listened to this (though I have a memory of painting the spare bedroom in my old flat to it ;-0). Anyway, there’s a bit of a cosmic/space rock thing going on here among the down-tuned Sabbath worship, which actually works rather well, particularly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH9OqfWQslg You always know what you’re getting with Electric Wizard, and Dopethrone is still their pinnacle of monstrous, drug-addled riffology, but CMF is also worthy of your attention.

Yes!

Big Electric Wizard fan here, I have all their albums and they all have their place. Come My Fanatics is their best in my opinion, the atmosphere is so oppressive and fucked but also really cathartic. Many a smoking sessin has been spent blasting that one! :)
Beebon
1375 posts

Mar 13, 2017, 08:04
Last week:

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
High Spirits - Motivator
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Dissection - The Somberlain

Traffic - Traffic
Traffic - Mr Fantasy

La Dusseldorf - La Dusseldorf

Eloy - Ocean

Simply Saucer - Cyborgs Revisited
Simply Saucer - Half Human Half Live (I read the Simply Saucer biography Heavy Metalloid Music in the week which encouraged me to return to Cyborgs Revisited. Funny one that, I can go year without hearing it but whenever I do stick it on it still utterly blows me away like when I first heard it. Half Human Half Live is surprisingly decent too)

Blood Farmers - Headless Eyes
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties

Julian Cope - Rite At Ya (Only listened to this twice so far and to be honest it isn't really doing much for me so far which is a shame as I love this series. I will persist however!)

Julian Cope - Drunken Songs

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory (I never imagined I would ever get into this band but for some reason this year I have and I really dig them regardless of how over the top they are. Damn good stuff)

Stereolab - Dots N Loops
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index