Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 February 2017 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 February 2017 CE
Feb 26, 2017, 20:53
Hawkwind - The Machine Stops (Again, fantastic album)

Hawkwind - Electric Teepee
Hawkwind - Hall Of The Mountain Grille

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
Dream Theater -

Riverside- Love Fear and the Time Machine

IQ - The Wake (Not bad at all as far as 80s neo prog goes)
IQ - The Road of Bones (Fucking brilliant, a very long album indeed but a modern prog classic)

Big Big Train - Folklore (Hadn't heard this one before, another modern prog classic)

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood
John Martyn - One World
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Tansatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Feb 26, 2017, 21:40
A few cracking new albums this week...

Grails - Chalice Hymnal. A superb follow up to Deep Politics... even including tracks called Deeper Politics and Deep Snow II.

Six Organs of Admittance - Burning the Threshold. Beautiful album. Chasny's mainly on acoustic guitar here, the electric is used sparingly. Lovely lyrics, great contributions from various guest musicians (Corsano on drums for example), beautifully paced and balanced.

Kleefstra-Bakker-Kleefstra - Dize. New album and final part of a trilogy of releases since November. Improvised ambient drone (two guitars and effects) plus the incredible Frisian poetry of Jan Kleefstra. Beautiful, peaceful, timeless music.

Piiptsjilling - Moarntides. Got this as a pre-order bundle with the K-B-K album above. It's the Kleefstra brothers with Rutger Zuyderwelt (Machinefabriek) adding electronics and field recordings to the ambient drone.
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 26, 2017, 21:44
154 for me this week as well!

Scary Monsters – David Bowie
Blackstar – David Bowie

Delay 1968 – Can

Unknown Pleasures – Joy Division

Absolute Dissent – Killing Joke

The Greatest Hits – Gladys Knight

Ballad Of The Broken Seas – Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
Phantom Radio – Mark Lanegan Band

The Invisible Way / The Visible End - Low
Sixes & Ones – Low

Years Of Refusal – Morrissey
World Peace Is None Of Your Business – Morrissey

Lime – Mugstar
Axis – Mugstar

Disco – Pet Shop Boys

Apres – Iggy Pop
Post Pop Depression – Iggy Pop

Kilimanjaro – Teardrop Explodes

154 - Wire
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6217 posts

Feb 26, 2017, 21:51
Nice list as always. Enjoyed 154 a lot this week, usually I think it a distant 3rd after PF and CM. Obviously Map Ref is a classic song.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2017, 09:09
Feb 26, 2017, 22:23
Tender Prey – Falling Off Chairs. I really liked the last album from Laura Bryon aka TP, a stripped back garage/blues affair that kept throwing weird proggy bits into the mix. There’s still some of that here, and a couple of tracks are compellingly off-kilter, but overall this sounds a little more conventionally lo-fi: https://tenderprey.bandcamp.com/album/falling-off-chairs

Trimdon Grange Explosion – s/t. This is pretty great, one of those albums where the band have nailed their sound, then pushed to see what they can do with it. In a nutshell, Fairport Convention played by the Velvet Underground, but more than anything, it never sounds ersatz like a lot of psych/folk stuff does: https://borleyrectory.bandcamp.com/releases

Centralstödet / The Myrrors – Wudkamrater. I can take or leave a lot of the Cardinal Fuzz releases, but this is a goodie, again because it sounds like it’s played by a band (or bands in this case) that really know what they’re doing. Particularly like the Centralstödet tracks, which manage to be both propulsive and discursive, yet keep the attention: https://skylanternrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ljudkamrater

Laucan – Up Tomorrow EP. Delicate sounding young man who may possibly have heard a Radiohead album or two. Great track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1k-Tk5IFk

Lo Five – When It’s Time To Let Go. Lovingly crafted nostalgia techno for fans of mid-90s Artificial Intelligence stuff. It’s quite clever and very listenable: https://patternedair.bandcamp.com/releases

Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs – Feed The Rats. Loving this, has a bass sound that Butthole Surfers would have died for, and the singer has a superb set of Lemmy-esque lungs

Heat Exchange – Reminiscence. Super obscure Canadian psych/prog types from the late 60s/early 70s have their various recordings compiled. Variable, but a couple of absolute killers, such as: https://guerssenrecords.bandcamp.com/track/inferno

David Bowie - Blackstar. My wife played it off Spotify, but couldn't get it off random shuffle. Still brilliant.

Hawkwind – The Machine Stops. Eek, I don’t like to say a bad word about t’Wind, but… I’m afraid I can’t share the enthusiasm that was shown to their latest the other week. It certainly sounds like HW and it’s competently played, but it feels flat and over-long to me. Perhaps I’ll just blame the production…

Listen With Father:

Smoke Fairies – s/t. This elicited zero response from the kids, though I think the older daughter was quite interested (in an entirely quiet way) in ‘Eclipse Them All’, as well she might, as it’s a brilliant song with filthy lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaHXiNWKGM I really like this album, but it could have been pruned back and sonically it’s a bit samey in places. I don’t know, there’s a strange kind of brittleness to them that’s alluring but a little off-putting at the same time. Eeh, a conundrum wrapped inside a mystery etc etc.

D is for…

Dark Star – Twenty Twenty Sound / ‘I Am The Sun’ b-sides. What the remaining trio of Levitation people did after Terry Bickers had bailed. It’s got a late 90s, post-grunge sound to it which means that it never quite flies, but I’d forgotten how strong this is. Some brilliant songs full of skyscraping psych guitar and delicate melodies. Vocals are possibly a weak link, but I actually quite like them, some interesting lyrics too. I was about to say that, despite the general excellence of this album, it and they disappeared without trace, but Wikipedia tells me they actually scored two Top 40 hits from it and got on TOTP, so what do I know. Hmmm, it further says that they recorded a second album, but split before it was released. Main guy Christian ‘Bic’ Hayes has done lots of stuff since, and is currently in ZOFFF (who I saw supporting Gong last year – they were noisy). Anyway, if you like experimental rock music with melody, you’ll definitely want to give this album a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVNCgOBhjHk
(Oh, and here’s that ‘unreleased’ second album: https://soundcloud.com/dark-star-4/sets/zurich)
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2017, 23:21
Feb 26, 2017, 22:33
Greetings pop pickers here is the past weeks essential listening.
Julian Cope - An Audience With The Cope
Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide
Julian Cope - Citizen Caned
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
Julian Cope - Floored Genius 3

Mott The Hoople - Self Titled
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
Earthling Society - England Have My Bones
The Allman Brothers 1st Album
ZZ Top - Fandango
thats all folks

All the best

Joolio
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 26, 2017, 23:52
thesweetcheat wrote:
Nice list as always. Enjoyed 154 a lot this week, usually I think it a distant 3rd after PF and CM. Obviously Map Ref is a classic song.

Cheers! I've played Map Ref to death these past few weeks! A lot of Wire fans reckon 154 is their peak. I'm more of a Chair's Missing man myself, but all three are top drawer to me. I Should Have Known Better followed by Two People In A Room and The 15th is a great way to start any album (though maybe not QUITE Practice Makes Perfect / French Film Blurred / Another the Letter which Peel played straight after each other on Chair's Missing's release)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 00:12
Winterhawk - Revival. Been wanting to hear this for years. Enjoyed it muchly

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned/Machine Gun Etiquette
Jethro Tull - Rock Island
Hollywood Brats - st (1994 Cherry Red version)
Tygers of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
Santana - Abraxas
Crosby Stills & Nash - st
Raven - Wiped Out
Abba - The Visitors
Melt Banana - Fetch
Jade Warrior - Floating World
Liquid Funk - drum n bass various
98.1, 98.2, 99.1 - drum n bass compilations from the aforementioned years.

Have a nice week sound sniffers x
carol27
747 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 17:33
Spencer? xxx
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 12:36
He's okay. A lot on the go, but okay.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic