Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2017, 20:56
Re: Thankyou!
Feb 26, 2017, 20:53
Welcome, GF. You're in the right forum if you wanna mix with real music lovers. I've lost count of the fine steers I've had from these dudes. In addition to the endless range of erudite and loving reviews on the Unsung pages, you'll get an amazingly wide range of listening suggestions from the weekly Soundtracks listings, which either habitually mention those records you've had for years but never got around to playing, or resoundingly force records you've never heard into your psyche. And no-one here is geared by fashion, hype or commercial considerations - just their obsession with great music and (at risk of immodesty) damned good taste. Looking forward to reading about your own listens - including the great Manband (RIP Deke). Talking of which, check out the wonderful live albums 'Maximum Darkness' 'All's Well That Ends Well' and 'Live at the Padget Rooms Penarth' for some supreme Manthrills.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 00:03
Welcome! A warm one.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 00:06
spencer wrote:
Careful now...you'll be listening to Mad River next ; )

If he/she does, then I'm a gazelle.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 00:50
Welcome!

This place is one of the best music resources in the cosmos!

Enjoy and partake and participate! x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2017, 08:39
Feb 27, 2017, 08:29
Welcome. We've probably got a lot more lurkers than contributors these days but it really is a fantastic resource. I've learned (and laughed) a hell of a lot. Like any forum there is a fair share of daft rows and ugly moments but never about music. You're on safe ground with Unsung!

Always good to see someone picking up on the genius that was Man. I think it is fair to say that they were always a better live proposition than in the studio (Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day and Welsh Connection being the records I think of as exceptions) but fortunately there are loads of brilliant live recordings out there and enough line up changes to keep things interesting despite any repetition of their big tunes. As noted elsewhere Maximum Darkness, the expanded Welsh Connection, expanded All's Wells That Ends Well and the expanded Back Into The Future cover the band at what I think of as their peak between 74 and 77. That said the 1972 live recordings (of which there are three or four off the top of my head) are hard to rule out too. Lots there to discover. I am somewhat envious of anyone able to have that experience for the first time.
garage flower
22 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 18:54
Ianb thanks for the insight, ill follow it up, ive been listening to Yes for years and its strange ive only recently come across Man , i know theyre not THAT similar but you sometimes get tip offs for new bands when reading about bands you already know.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 20:00
garage flower wrote:
Ianb thanks for the insight, ill follow it up, ive been listening to Yes for years and its strange ive only recently come across Man , i know theyre not THAT similar but you sometimes get tip offs for new bands when reading about bands you already know.

Good to have another Yes-head around the place.

Man were quite a different thing (no real classical, jazz, folk or film music elements for example) but their respective guitar players had a lot in common with the same mixture of fluidity, bite and psych. Enjoy!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 21:41
??? Thought you were Bambi
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 21:45
Twerp