Unsung Forum »
Clyde Stubblefield R.I.P.

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Clyde Stubblefield R.I.P.
Feb 18, 2017, 20:55
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/clyde-stubblefield-james-browns-funky-drummer-dead-at-73-w467805

Looks like the most famous of James Brown's drummers has died of kidney failure at the age of 73.

So quite a good innings, during which he became the most sampled drummer ever.
Thanks for the funky beats

Stevo
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Clyde Stubblefield R.I.P.
Feb 18, 2017, 21:21
Aw man, that's a gottdamned drag. Dude had a way of taking those molasses-slow, low-BPM James Brown grooves and making them seem richer with those thick Buddy Rich-style fills. Totally set the groove for later masterpieces like The Payback and Hell, even if he didn't play on them. Was listening to an old Jeff Buckley track just now after someone mentioned him in another thread, and he really had the most turgid, run-of-the-mill drummer on the planet in his band. So many rock drummers just bash away on the open hi-hat like Bam Bam to signify 'heaviness'. Would that there were more Stubblefields in the world instead.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Clyde Stubblefield R.I.P.
Feb 18, 2017, 22:33
I saw him play a secret set at the 12 Bar Club in London in 1995. He was in London to play a date at the Jazz Cafe. The 12 Bar was staging an open mic night but as soon as the promoter knew the band were in attendance he had no hesitation in bringing them on for a half hour set. The band - and Clyde in particular - were electrifying - the audience knew they were in the presence of greatness and the buzz from the punters after the performance was enormous.

Straightaway the open mic stint resumed - audience still blown away. Pity the poor bloke who the promoter ushered on stage with just an acoustic guitar - singing one quiet slow song to only one interested punter (his friend) - whilst the rest of the audience chatted excitedly about Clyde and co and completely ignored him.

Yep - that traumatised solo guitarist was me LOL.

RIP Clyde - you played a blinder that night and I forgive you for taking the wind out of my sails!
Unsung Forum Index