Register
Unsung Forum »
Julian in Newcastle

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Julian in Newcastle
Feb 18, 2017, 10:31
cracking gig , lotsa chat, the new guitar version of Mr Cope is wonderful.
I wonder if the 10.30 curfew stopped him playing all night as he seemed to be having as good a time as we were. Mrs Elf who last saw him in '92 gave him the female seal of approval so top marks.
Setlist was pretty much what's been played so far as far as I can see , great grungy version of The Great Dominions, an encore of the Baabaabaa songs and no Liver As Big As Hartlepool, and the audience were short on inane chatter [maybe becuase they couldn't get a word in edgeways] all round top result
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Re: Julian in Newcastle
Feb 18, 2017, 10:46
Bless the Happy Bunny : )
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2017, 11:43
Feb 18, 2017, 11:43
machineryelf wrote:
cracking gig , lotsa chat, the new guitar version of Mr Cope is wonderful.
I wonder if the 10.30 curfew stopped him playing all night as he seemed to be having as good a time as we were. Mrs Elf who last saw him in '92 gave him the female seal of approval so top marks.
Setlist was pretty much what's been played so far as far as I can see , great grungy version of The Great Dominions, an encore of the Baabaabaa songs and no Liver As Big As Hartlepool, and the audience were short on inane chatter [maybe becuase they couldn't get a word in edgeways] all round top result

Agree - it was a cracker and the chat and banter from the crowd was good - not annoying like it sometimes can be (crowd not JC!). Compared to the London gig we got Double Vegetation, Treason and Drink Me Under the Table. So channelling Vybik:

Autogeddon
Double vegetation
Drink me under the table
They were on hard drugs
Fear loves this place
Culture bunker
As the beer flows over me
Great dominions
Paranormal in the west country
Cromwell in Ireland
Cunts can fuck off
Soul desert
Treason
Pristeen

Greatness and Perfection
Sunspots
basil
3 posts

Feb 18, 2017, 12:24
Must agree a great gig in Newcastle. I suspect it's the only gig were the hecklers shout out the names of their favourite scientists. Julian you can't come to Newcastle and talk about the thief Edison please check out the unsung local hero Joseph Swan and you will know why.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Feb 18, 2017, 17:42
basil wrote:
Must agree a great gig in Newcastle. I suspect it's the only gig were the hecklers shout out the names of their favourite scientists. Julian you can't come to Newcastle and talk about the thief Edison please check out the unsung local hero Joseph Swan and you will know why.

Yes that was funny. I noticed he mentioned both Edison and Tesla because in London it was just Edison and someone shouted out Tesla. But last night there was a group of people shouting back.

Another crowd observation - in London there was laughter at Julian staying in Cork Travelodge whilst there wasn't in Newcastle. Discuss.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Feb 18, 2017, 19:52
basil wrote:

Not sure the context of the Edison comments, but even though Edison was a electrical thief, he was a successful thief.

Also, it was 2 Canadians who sold the light bulb patent to Edison which he then took credit for, though Swan had also developed his bulb without success.

So many people think Tesla invented AC power, thus the rivalry between him and Edison, but this is false. Tesla's AC induction motor, and his partnership with Westinghouse was truly what catapulted us into the future.

Great ideas are one thing, but successful application and distribution of those ideas is what really matters. So both Tesla and Edison deserve their accolades for shaping our modern world.
basil
3 posts

Feb 19, 2017, 00:35
You say swan was unsuccessful with his light bulb however Newcastle had the first street in the world powered by electricity with his bulb being patented a full year before Edison. Up until recently the Swan (edison and swan electric light bulb company) company was one of the largest manufacturers of bulbs in the world
basil
3 posts

Feb 19, 2017, 00:36
Also worth noting that swan had a magnificent beard that Julian would be proud of.
Unsung Forum Index