Unsung Forum »
Pink Floyd Early Years - smaller packages

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Pink Floyd Early Years - smaller packages
Feb 15, 2017, 21:46
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the big and expensive box set is getting split down into more affordable components:

http://pitchfork.com/news/71634-pink-floyds-early-years-1965-1972-individual-volumes-announced/
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Pink Floyd Early Years - smaller packages
Feb 15, 2017, 21:48
Having just clicked on the links, "affordable" may have been premature.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Feb 15, 2017, 21:50
It's all 'downloadable' on about a hundred different 'Blogs'.....

Ce la vie....
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Feb 15, 2017, 21:52
dhajjieboy wrote:

Ce la vie....

Arhggggg!!!!!
Drat you Dhajjieboy !!!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Feb 15, 2017, 21:55
dhajjieboy wrote:

Ce la vie....

I'd happily settle for a 2 CD set of the first set, I can rarely be bothered to watch music DVDs and can't play Blue Ray anyway, so $50 would be a big extravagance just to get less than half a dozen tracks I don't already have.

Still much prefer "product" to a downloads though.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2017, 22:15
Feb 15, 2017, 22:11
thesweetcheat wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the big and expensive box set is getting split down into more affordable components:

http://pitchfork.com/news/71634-pink-floyds-early-years-1965-1972-individual-volumes-announced/

I believe this was announced along with the large set (that smaller sets would be coming). The only difference is you can't buy the bonus cd/dvd(Continu/ation) apart from the box. For early Floyd fans, it has the BBC sessions, but I've heard the quality isn't much difference from the boots out there. All I really want is the Syd stuff, so I'm cool with buying that set.

(And has anyone else heard the voice of Adam Sandler's Cajun Man when reading those titles?)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2017, 10:22
Feb 17, 2017, 08:30
It was talked about at the time the box set was announced including speculation on price. Amazon has them coming out mid March at £39 each. Not sure how accurate that is since I think there are different content sizes.
Looks like the earliest one which I'm most interested in duplicates visual content on dvd and blu-ray. So has a disc that would presumably be extraneous.
But does look like they're all out at same time.

EDIT

Had another look at this and it's £39.99 for 4 discs and £34.99 for 3 discs.

Is the Cambridge Station visual set the same thing that turned up on BBC4 a few months back?

Would be good if they did a bare bones set with out the visuals for some people. But then again the entire early days set is around elsewhere.

It was a shame that they didn't include all the would be singles stuff on the 2cd breakdown of the set. But then what lure would people have to buy into this further breakdown.
Just hoping that marketplace prices are cheaper still by far. Seem to be on that 2cd version anyway.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 08:37
Looks like they're repeating some of at least the visual paraphernalia. People had wondered about the singles being repeated for the relevant boxes but I don't think I saw them in the photos.
Also hoping marketplace will reduce price.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2017, 09:38
Indig/estion
Feb 18, 2017, 09:38
The BBC4 thing was a unique compilation of video material from the big box rather than just the Cambridge set. I lashed out on the whole thing back in November and haven't regretted it, despite its ludicrously high price, and inclusion of blu-ray discs I'll never play. But it did give me musical indigestion by the time I got half way through it: too much of a good thing, and all that. In consequence I've put it aside for a while and I'll go back to it when I'm ready.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

The Big Box
Feb 19, 2017, 10:26
Hi
The big box was reduced to £269 on Amazon yesterday. That will include the live discs not being released separately, the Pompeii Idiot disc that was included by mistake and Obscured by Clouds that was thrown in at the last minute.
Unsung Forum Index