Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Here Comes the Knight
Feb 06, 2016, 15:54
Sir Ivan the Man:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-35494713

His favourite of his albums: COMMON ONE !
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Here Comes the Knight
Feb 06, 2016, 16:39
Have there been any updates on physical releases on the digital reissues from last year? Only thing I've seen is the Them 3cd & the 2 cds on the other label.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 09:16
'Common One' is a superb album, and I'm glad to see Van acknowledging it. To my ears - and heart - it shares the unique, ethereal vibe of 'Astral Weeks' but is much better recorded. Quite the man's most unsung album IMHO. I hope his advocacy encourages more people to check it out.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2016, 23:20
Feb 09, 2016, 19:33
Nice to hear cousin Ivan comment on anything he has ever done even if I disagree with him about his own work. Truth be told, I was a tad disappointed in "Common One" when it slid out. Y'see I'd already had five or six years to soak in "Veedon Fleece" and the kinda lightweight unfunky grooves of "Common One" could never pass muster in the same room as the first trancendental side of Veedon Fleece's vinyl which comprised "Fair Play/ Linden Arden/ Masked Man/ Streets of Arklow/ You Don't Pull No Punches...".
The flow of "Streets of Arklow" through to the end of "You Don't Pull No Punches But You Don't Push The River" is simply a tour-de-force of acoustic guitar, piano, flute, double bass, orchestra and a drum kit. And Ivan is so on top of it. Dark Irish Pastoral. Never topped. Oh yeah and even back in 1974 when he was recording "Veedon Fleece" cousin Ivan was already namechecking young Andrew Eldritch's Gothboys..."William Blake and the Eternals, standin' with the Sisters of Mercy... Looking for the Veedon Fleece, yeah!"

"Common One" while nodding towards Avalon and trying to invoke Wordsworth and Coleridge over some sorta 1980 semi-funk... of a "Summertime in England"... well it just didn't quite get there for me. I loved the opener "Haunts of Ancient Peace" though... just went a bit askew for me after that.

I'm done. Now off to slip on the Veedon Fleece CD...
carol27
747 posts

Feb 09, 2016, 20:48
Did you ever hear about Wordsworth & Coleridge? They were smoking' up in Kendal. Common One. Bloody brilliant:)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 10, 2016, 20:00
Veedon's the best. Haven't played for nine days. Ulp...please forgive. Can't wait for the forthcoming expanded remaster..St Dominics ditto.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 10, 2016, 20:03
Reckon Hymns To The Silence's pretty unsung too.
carol27
747 posts

Feb 11, 2016, 12:37
God, what is that like Veedon Fleece, I'd forgotten. Maybe I'll forget the camper & just sit in the house & listen to this all day; day in, day out..:)
carol27
747 posts

Edited Feb 11, 2016, 12:50
Feb 11, 2016, 12:49
The Caledonian Soul Orchestra; St Dominics, bloody hell. I've just remembered what it is to be alive. I was, & still am a full on Ramones punk rocker, but one night watching Van at the Rainbow on the Old Grey I became a duel personality. It was like Bowie, absolute joy. I have discovered to my absolute delight that my Grandma on my father's side was full on Irish; whey hey.So proud. Ellen O'Reilly :)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Feb 11, 2016, 19:03
Is there still nothing announced about the cd versions of the albums that got digital releases last year? I thought we were supposed to be getting news early in the New Year.
So far the only thing related to those releases that has been available is the Them 3cd, the Astral Weeks and Band and Street choir were through another label so had a diofferent schedule.

I'm still not sure what is getting released on cd, initial announcement said 4 lps then news from elsewhere sounded like all the albums were likely to be.
I think I'm mainly looking for a decent versionof St dominic's preview and possibly another copy of Veedon since my mid noughties one may not be in the best of shape.

Stevo
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index