Unsung Forum »
KILIMANJARO!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2015, 17:29
KILIMANJARO!
Nov 25, 2015, 17:29
Julian Cope will be attending a celebration of the Teardrop Explodes' debut LP KILIMANJARO at the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts on Sunday 24th January 2016!!

Blimey!! What other former members will turn out?

http://classicalbumsundays.com/john-peel-archive-classic-album-sundays-on-audio-note-uk-the-teardrop-explodes-kilimanjaro-with-julian-cope/
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: KILIMANJARO!
Nov 25, 2015, 21:49
Sounds and interesting night. Bloody Stowmarket is a bit of mission to get to though. Just spent a wonderful 7 days in ssssSuffolk, walking the deserted beaches and fens, great time, wild weather, but deffo a mission on that A12/14.

Would be good to hear Jules eleborate on the best album the Teardrops produced, but £18 squid! for the privelage. Also, not sure about all this 'bespoke' valve hifi bollox that's getting touted, I'm hitting middle age and nearly deaf as a post, so won't make much difference what the record was played on (well as long as it wasn't a Saisho or something, I'd deffo hear the difference then, maybe?).
And just remember, that lovely Mmmmm vinyl 'warmth' is just distortion (or so I've read).
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 25, 2015, 22:00
Interesting! Like Mr Monganaut says though, a bit of a mission to get to - great if you live in the area though - sounds like fun.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Nov 25, 2015, 23:40
Monganaut wrote:
And just remember, that lovely Mmmmm vinyl 'warmth' is just distortion (or so I've read).

I've heard that too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cCq7qnDhlU

David Thomas spits on our vinyl ... not sure how well that works out when some of my vinyl consists of Pere Ubu records.

All very well them archive curators making much of their audiophile hi-fi. I'm not going charging across the country to fork our £18 when they haven't even advertised the matrix number off the vinyl so that I can determine whether the specific pressing would be worth the effort. Also, are we talking a belt or direct drive turntable cause it makes a difference you know ... etc
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2015, 00:10
Nov 26, 2015, 00:09
Funnily enough, I was wondering what 'version' the album might be too.
My old copy seems pretty robust (regular 'old' vinyl was approx 120gsm In weight I think I read somewhere)

As to D T's little rant, Yeah, I've a fair bit of Pere Ubu on vinyl too, seemed better than tape at the time I bought it (as my tape player had a habit of chewing up the goods at random) and still got a load of vinyl on the wall that really doesn't get played as much as it ought (not worth selling as it's not that well looked after either). Though, hopefully, I have just put up some new shelving so I can play records without them jumping about when anyone enters the room.

Still, would love to see the Cope talky bit, but the vinyl session sounds a bit 'chin strokery' for my liking....it's not even like getting pissed and having a listening session with a bunch of mates. Just a bunch of strangers staring at their navels 'appreciating' that wonderful hifi (or not).
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2015, 01:57
Nov 26, 2015, 01:56
Monganaut wrote:

David Thomas used exactly that phrase when I saw Pere Ubu a couple years back! He expanded, saying "the only distortion I want on our records is the distortion we deliberately put there."!

Lovely new expensive Pere Ubu Vinyl Box Set out now...
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Nov 26, 2015, 11:22
Yeah but like man ... it's JOHN PEELS personal copy innit? You'll be hearing it just like JOHN did ... erm, unless it isn't JOHNs own personal hi-fi, where it always sat in JOHNs own listening room, in which case ... not sure quite what the fucking money-making point of this is.

Seems a bit of a mixed thing between appreciating the album and being closer to his JOHN-ness. I can appreciate the album just as well at home ... and JOHN just ain't going to be there ... but you can feel his presence, his paternal hand on your shoulder, of that we can be certain. It's what he would have wanted ... etc
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Nov 26, 2015, 11:29
Ha ha, I'm in, you've convinced me, when's it out?
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Nov 26, 2015, 15:08
Kid Calamity wrote:
Julian Cope will be attending a celebration of the Teardrop Explodes' debut LP KILIMANJARO at the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts on Sunday 24th January 2016!!

Blimey!! What other former members will turn out?

http://classicalbumsundays.com/john-peel-archive-classic-album-sundays-on-audio-note-uk-the-teardrop-explodes-kilimanjaro-with-julian-cope/

One if I've wondered for a while is that Ray Martinez and forgotten legend Hurricane Smith, who both played trumpet on Kilimanjaro, were working at Rockfield Studios, I think. So was the decision to use brass on a few of the tracks a spur-of-the-moment-thing during recording?
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Nov 27, 2015, 03:30
I like wilder and everybody wants to shag better. I'm not a huge fan of the horn section myself. But I can understand why some might like it best.
Unsung Forum Index