Nick Drake on film?

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Nick Drake on film?
Oct 12, 2015, 13:20
I managed to get the "Time Has Told Me" boots - one of the tracks that for me, amazingly didn't make it to the "Family Tree" album is his solo acoustic take of "Fly" - I prefer listening to this version than the "produced" track on "Bryter Later". The opening lines - which are obviously sung outside of his comfort zone - played with just an acoustic, sound sparse and desperate - I have to admit it wells me up.
Adman
Adman
157 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2015, 16:22
Oct 12, 2015, 16:18
Although there appears to be no video footage of Nick - there is this spoken word monologue - recorded by Nick at Far Leys after returning from some party - he appears to be still slightly pissed :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZUcWIqSUI

....it is interesting to hear Nick's speaking voice if only to realize how frightfully posh he was !

Eg.

"One has one's reservations when one has quite enjoyed oneself, but one has to make reservations because, uh, the people were particularly interesting. In fact, there weren't as many people there as I expected there to be, it was, I thought...you know, the Maynard-Mitchells have a big big 'do', in fact there weren't nearly as many as one might have thought, which was, which was a pity."
MantraMouth
112 posts

Oct 12, 2015, 17:34
Sin Agog wrote:
According to Richard Thompson, one of the few musicians to ever accompany him, "Nick Drake" was actually a concoction by Chris Blackwell to parody the fey, introverted singer-songwriters who were so omnipresent at the time. The man who posed for all the photographs was in fact his pool cleaner; he died in the mid-'90s of asbestos-poisoning. I'm sure he would have been pleasantly perplexed at how "Nick"'s legacy still lumbers on to this day.

I read a Thompson interview where he talked about Nick Drake. He didn't mention him being imaginary but did admit he was never in the studio at the same time....suspicious!!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 12, 2015, 18:08
I couldn't put a precise date on it but Ian Macdonald was starting to work to establish Drake's true critical standing as early as the mid 70s when he was still at the NME. It would not surprise me if the release of the Fruit Tree box was mainly down to his proselytising. Macdonald's 90s essay on Drake is one of the best things you'll read anywhere about popular music. It's actually as fine a piece of writing as the songs themselves.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Exiled From Heaven
Oct 13, 2015, 09:25
Here is a link to Ian Macdonald's brilliant Drake essay, Exiled From Heaven

http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/exiled1.html

I would highly recommend his collection of essays People's Music of which this is one
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Oct 13, 2015, 09:58
elegant chaos wrote:
I managed to get the "Time Has Told Me" boots - one of the tracks that for me, amazingly didn't make it to the "Family Tree" album is his solo acoustic take of "Fly" - I prefer listening to this version than the "produced" track on "Bryter Later". The opening lines - which are obviously sung outside of his comfort zone - played with just an acoustic, sound sparse and desperate - I have to admit it wells me up.

The 'Time Has Told Me' boots were excellent, but have now been superceded by the 'Day Gone By' collection, which includes everything in circulation that remains unreleased, in the best available quality. 'Details' here -

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1870
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Oct 13, 2015, 13:51
Thanks loads for this
MantraMouth
112 posts

Re: Exiled From Heaven
Oct 13, 2015, 20:19
IanB wrote:
Here is a link to Ian Macdonald's brilliant Drake essay, Exiled From Heaven

http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/exiled1.html

I would highly recommend his collection of essays People's Music of which this is one

Thanks Ian, that was a great read, I had no idea so much was known of his life and influences, it really does paint a picture of the man.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index