Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Nick Drake on film?
Oct 10, 2015, 18:56
Yorkshirepedestrian wrote:
I recently became obsessed with an Edwardian artist named Austin Osman Spare.

Cue music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5JPx50BNgc

Love that song. (Bulldog Breed - Austin Osman Spare)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2015, 13:36
Oct 11, 2015, 09:09
Stevo wrote:

Not sure when Drake started getting more widespread recognition.
Was it before the Fruit Tree box set?
I think his sister was almost a household name though.

I think the "Fruit Tree" box set was what started it, and then it slowly grew throughout the 80s with Mike Read playing the odd tracks on the Radio 1 Breakfast Show, and the likes of Dream Academy and the Cure namechecking him as well as cult musicians like Robyn Hitchcock and Peter Astor who were lesser known (at least in the UK).

I agree it's not too likely that show was taped, but quite a lot of stuff that was thought to have been erased from both the BBC's archive (like Jimi Hendrix's appearance on "The Lulu Show") and those of the regional channels does turn up eventually. I know from having liaised with them at work that a quite a lot of original master recordings from the BBC archive got "liberated" by various former employees who worked there, but the BBC doesn't particularly like to admit that so saying "everything was erased" is their default stance.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2015, 11:45
Oct 11, 2015, 11:20
One instance was the employee who filmed Bowie doing Jean Genie on TOTP as he'd invented/perfected the special fx used. At the time the footage reemerged he said he'd got, I think, up to two hundred - I'm sure it was over a hundred - other clips. What's happened to them, I wonder. Perhaps the beeb's tried to or succeeded in snaffling them...and I wonder which avts were involved. So, yes, there's always hope. Personally, what I'd love to see again mostest of the TOTP footage is The Groundhogs doing stuff off Split from '71 (yup, I'm old). B+w, sfx - praps by the same guy as Bowie a year later, therefore maybe kept by him? - wild playing, totally fab. There was a few months when bands came on TOTP and did up to three numbers live...praps this was a tryout for the OGWT, which iirc started later that year. I watched TOTP religiously back then - I'm pretty certain I saw the Moody Blues, Faces and Golden Earring in the same format, will headscratch as to who else.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 11:55
Stevo wrote:

I'm not sure when his legend spread, but plenty people were certainly aware of him from early in his career, due to the inclusion of songs on Island samplers Nice Enough to Eat, Bumpers and El Pea (1969, 1970 & 1971).

Sadly this wasn't enough for him to gain much traction with the record-buying public at the time.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 12:21
According to Richard Thompson, one of the few musicians to ever accompany him, "Nick Drake" was actually a concoction by Chris Blackwell to parody the fey, introverted singer-songwriters who were so omnipresent at the time. The man who posed for all the photographs was in fact his pool cleaner; he died in the mid-'90s of asbestos-poisoning. I'm sure he would have been pleasantly perplexed at how "Nick"'s legacy still lumbers on to this day.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 13:34
flatboxertwin wrote:
Stevo wrote:

I'm not sure when his legend spread, but plenty people were certainly aware of him from early in his career, due to the inclusion of songs on Island samplers Nice Enough to Eat, Bumpers and El Pea (1969, 1970 & 1971).

Sadly this wasn't enough for him to gain much traction with the record-buying public at the time.

Yes, especially in the light of the fact that he only ever did one interview - and a pretty desultory one at that - and didn't play any more shows after mid-1970.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 18:52
Sin Agog wrote:
According to Richard Thompson, one of the few musicians to ever accompany him, "Nick Drake" was actually a concoction by Chris Blackwell to parody the fey, introverted singer-songwriters who were so omnipresent at the time.

Nah, I think that was Cat Stevens.
keith a
9574 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 23:04
Stevo wrote:
Quite possibly a lot less likely, an unknown artist on a regional show before widespread home video? & in a time when tape wiping was common.
I think his sister was almost a household name though.

He obviously got reviews, etc, at the time but as someone who started reading the music papers after that I'd say he was really obscure by then. By 1979 I'd seen his name in print (someone writing in for info and his work being praised) but I had never actually heard him until my Economics teacher lent me Bryter Layter in 1979. A few months later Fruit Tree came out and that kinda started it IMO - I remember Dave Fanning playing something around that time on RTE. That was the first time I'd ever heard him on the radio. But even after he was still really unknown - it was, for a long time, down to us fans spreading the word slowly but surely IMO.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 12, 2015, 03:18
Nick played at the Haworth Arms here in Hull when my dad's band was resident there. No idea if he saw him or not though.
I was just looking at the short film of an unknown 1970s festival and it does seem to be him walking by. You don't see his face and the film has a haunting, lonely quality to it...
It's apparently likely that Nick did perform once on BBC TV but there is no surviving footage from this, but you never know..
There is also some footage of Nick as a child which you can see in the documentary A Skin Too Few on Youtube.
All adds to the mythos I guess.
He was hugely talented yet ignored and forgotten. His is a fairly sad story too, in a different way, and no recording of him has survived.
Apparently he was interviewed for a BBC radio programreme but only a transcript survives.

There is a magnificent b&w plate of Osman Spare in this book by Clifford Bax when Spare lived in Borough. I had a copy but sold it to london bookseller. http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=11000673209&searchurl=bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26sts%3Dt%26bx%3Doff%26sortby%3D20%26tn%3Dideas+and+people%26an%3Dbax%26recentlyadded%3Dall
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2015, 12:57
Oct 12, 2015, 12:57
Nick played at the Haworth Arms here in Hull when my dad's band was resident there. No idea if he saw him or not though.
I was just looking at the short film of an unknown 1970s festival and it does seem to be him walking by. You don't see his face and the film has a haunting, lonely quality to it...
It's apparently likely that Nick did perform once on BBC TV but there is no surviving footage from this, but you never know..
There is also some footage of Nick as a child which you can see in the documentary A Skin Too Few on Youtube.
All adds to the mythos I guess.
He was hugely talented yet ignored and forgotten. His is a fairly sad story too, in a different way, and no recording of him has survived.
Apparently he was interviewed for a BBC radio programme but only a transcript survives.

Didn't know about Nick Drake playing at the Haworth! Do any pictures, reviews or memories survive? I'm just up the road, in Beverley. Like a bit of Austin Osman Spare myself, too.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index