Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Did The Cardiacs support Marillion on tour?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Did The Cardiacs support Marillion on tour?
Oct 09, 2015, 00:52
..and does anyone know how they were received? If they did. A friend is writing something about the prog scene in the eighties and tieing stuff together.

If they had supported them when I saw them I'd have probably hated them. Had a bit of maturing still to do at the time (erm Fugazi tour for me I think. Beltane Fire the support apparently. Sweaters and songs about pirates all I remember).
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Re: Did The Cardiacs support Marillion on tour?
Oct 09, 2015, 10:32
I don't know if they did a whole tour but Cardiacs certainly played at least one gig supporting Marillion at the height of the latter's mid-eighties pop success. I wasn't there but they apparently went down really badly. Story is that bottles etc. were thrown, much to the disgust of Fish who was a big fan and had personally requested them as a support act.

I can ask someone who was actually there if you want further clarification.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Oct 09, 2015, 11:11
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
I don't know if they did a whole tour but Cardiacs certainly played at least one gig supporting Marillion at the height of the latter's mid-eighties pop success. I wasn't there but they apparently went down really badly. Story is that bottles etc. were thrown, much to the disgust of Fish who was a big fan and had personally requested them as a support act.

I can ask someone who was actually there if you want further clarification.

That's what I'd been told. Apparently Fish had to go on stage to intervene. I'm fascinated by these clashes of, well not even genres really - musical worlds? For all those throwing stuff and screaming for them to get off I like to imagine a seed being planted of the possibility of difference.

Apparently we went to the Misplaced Childhood tour, to a date rescheduled from 6 months earlier. Unfortunately that 6 months coincided with a massive period of personal musical discovery and we were vaguely embarrassed to be there, which was unfair since Fish's musical recommendations had had a massive impact on my own musical taste. Through interviews he gave to Kerrang! it was he that introduced my friends and I to VDGG, Hammill solo stuff, possibly even King Crimson and others, and at a time when I was open to everything and... hungry. Steps on the journey and all that.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Oct 09, 2015, 14:14
"Back in 1984, progressive rockers Marillion had tried to help Cardiacs by giving them a UK tour support slot. Unfortunately, the headliners’ audiences took an extreme dislike to the strange opening act and, as word spread, fans travelled to venues fully prepared to make merry with missiles. When a typically hostile reception was dished out at London’s Hammersmith Odeon, Marillion’s frontman Fish launched an angry onstage rant at his own narrow-minded fans. “If you don’t like it,”’ he told them, “fuck off to the bar and let them get on with their set”’. However, the well-meaning singer’s cause was lost a few days later in Manchester when his fans attempted to set fire to the safety curtain during Cardiacs’ set."
http://louderthanwar.com/the-cardiacs-an-epic-overview-by-mr-spencer-with-help-from-damon-albarn-graeme-coxon-and-captain-sensible/

See listings for Nov 5th 1984 - Dec 21st 1984.
http://www.death.plus.com/cardiacs/cdxgiglist.htm#1984
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 09, 2015, 14:18
Evidently Marillion fans are not partial to catchy bastard songs.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2015, 14:22
Oct 09, 2015, 14:19
They did do a whole tour supporting Marillion, and Marillion's fans hated them on pretty much every date, according to William D Drake. At Hammersmith Odeon Fish did indeed come on stage to tell the crowd "If you don't like them, just fuck off to the bar and let them finish their set". Also, in Manchester some fans tried to vent their disapproval by setting fire to the stage curtain.

Edit : I posted this before I saw Pursued by Trees' post, but due to the batteries in my keyboard needing to be changed it took me a few minutes to complete. Apologies for duplicating information.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Oct 09, 2015, 21:30
Sigh ... I was at such pains not to pass any comment on Marillion fans ... and this was all way back when they still had a modicum of taste too ...
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Oct 09, 2015, 21:32
At least you went to the trouble of paraphrasing the article. My only saving grace is that I'm okay at referencing.
Unsung Forum Index