Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 03 October 2015 CE
Oct 05, 2015, 20:38
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
I have been working my way through the archives of the Eddie Trunk podcast. Intelligent, unapologetic and often very candid interviews with Metal's great, good and not so good.

http://podcastone.com/Eddie-Trunk-Podcast?showAllEpisodes=true

I had the very good fortune to see Steve Wilson at RAH on Monday. No Matt Berry unfortunately but a fantastic three hour show nonetheless. Adam Holzman (of Warner era Miles Davis fame) and Nick Beggs (on stick bass) in particular shone plus the staging is some of the best I have ever seen on a rock stage. So inevitably these have all had a play or three this week ...

No-Man - Together We're Stranger
No-Man - Flowermouth
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Steven Wilson - Transcience
Porcupine Tree- Stupid Dream
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

Going to see Steve Hackett on Tuesday, and hoping Nick Beggs will feature :)

Not sure he is in Hackett's band on this run (could be Lee Pomeroy instead). I am going Wednesday so you'll have to tell me!

Ah OK! Will do. Where are you seeing them?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 05, 2015, 22:09
Oct 05, 2015, 22:04
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
I have been working my way through the archives of the Eddie Trunk podcast. Intelligent, unapologetic and often very candid interviews with Metal's great, good and not so good.

http://podcastone.com/Eddie-Trunk-Podcast?showAllEpisodes=true

I had the very good fortune to see Steve Wilson at RAH on Monday. No Matt Berry unfortunately but a fantastic three hour show nonetheless. Adam Holzman (of Warner era Miles Davis fame) and Nick Beggs (on stick bass) in particular shone plus the staging is some of the best I have ever seen on a rock stage. So inevitably these have all had a play or three this week ...

No-Man - Together We're Stranger
No-Man - Flowermouth
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Steven Wilson - Transcience
Porcupine Tree- Stupid Dream
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

Going to see Steve Hackett on Tuesday, and hoping Nick Beggs will feature :)

Not sure he is in Hackett's band on this run (could be Lee Pomeroy instead). I am going Wednesday so you'll have to tell me!

Ah OK! Will do. Where are you seeing them?

Shepherds Bush Empire. Looking at the tour photos it seems Roine Stolt is being Mike Rutherford and playing a bit of bass and guitar. He played on a couple of songs at the date that Moonie and I saw last year (or was it the year before?). Not the biggest Flower Kings fan but he was not bad at all. Is yours in Guildford?
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Oct 06, 2015, 05:47
machineryelf wrote:

Parson Sound - S/T

Oh boy, this is good, vintage psychedelia from Sweden.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 06, 2015, 07:54
I'm sure hardened Diamondites frown upon but their cover of You've Lost That Loving Feeling is epic

more US gems
1994 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_YK4vovow

Teaze https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4SfJWuJcU

Riot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-1GQ5jEuNw

my favourite Styx moment where they still can't quite decide what they want
to be so they chuck in a bit of everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NBZTkPxWek
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 06, 2015, 07:56
Maldoror wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Parson Sound - S/T

Oh boy, this is good, vintage psychedelia from Sweden.

indeed, you wonder how much more mind blowing it must have been back in 66
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 06, 2015, 17:34
IanB wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:
IanB wrote:
It is the lyrics that normally do my head in with American "boogie" bands of that era. They make Coverdale seem like Cole Porter for wit and wisdom but Joe W is not a bad song writer by any means. I will give them a go. Bang and Miami are ok though I prefer the Moxy record.

Have you come across Legs Diamond? My favourite pre-Van Halen American rock band. 1st two albums are killer. Hard party - prog (to repeat a phrase I used here years ago - still hoping the band and the phrase catch on). I'll eat any hats you care to offer if you don't love them.

No! What a brilliant name. Sounds like a character from a Mott song. I will seek 'em out. I need more of this kind of the thing at the moment though I will be back to being all about the art wank next week no doubt.

I think Legs Diamond was a gangster
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 06, 2015, 18:18
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:
IanB wrote:
It is the lyrics that normally do my head in with American "boogie" bands of that era. They make Coverdale seem like Cole Porter for wit and wisdom but Joe W is not a bad song writer by any means. I will give them a go. Bang and Miami are ok though I prefer the Moxy record.

Have you come across Legs Diamond? My favourite pre-Van Halen American rock band. 1st two albums are killer. Hard party - prog (to repeat a phrase I used here years ago - still hoping the band and the phrase catch on). I'll eat any hats you care to offer if you don't love them.

No! What a brilliant name. Sounds like a character from a Mott song. I will seek 'em out. I need more of this kind of the thing at the moment though I will be back to being all about the art wank next week no doubt.

I think Legs Diamond was a gangster

He was a deadly dancer and a midnight prance or possibly vice versa
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 06, 2015, 18:28
Iron Maiden - Book of Souls. 92 minutes of epic metalness in a lovely book sleeve. The world will always be a better place with 20 minute song about an airship disaster in it. Love it!

McAlmont & Butler - The Sound of...
Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
The Answer - Raise A Little Hell

System 7/Mirror System - N + X. Strange split album of trance and ambient from what is essentially, the same band! Good though!

The Haarp Machine -Disclosure

London Afrobeat Collective - Food Chain. Extremely funky afro beat grooves with occasional flourishes of Ernie Isley style guitar. V nice

Get the Blessing - Astronautilus. More quirk jazz and spikiness!

Mutoid Man - Bleeder. Cave In spin-off of punky prog metal. I like it a lot but at 30 mins, I could've happily enjoyed another song or two.

Ohmwork - ST. Nordic, stripped down power trio metal with NWOBHM type vibes. It doth rock.

Moulettes - st. Very splendid mixed bag of jazz, klezmer, folk and more. I was told I'd like them by a friend that saw them at a festival proclaiming, as he did, their brilliance. I really like this and must go on the sniff for more.

Galley Beggar - Silence & Tears. The spirit of female fronted Fairports lives on. Very nice and must also hear more of these folk. (Thanks IanB)

Uriah Heep - Sea of Light
The Portraits -- Lions and Butterflies
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels

Have a nice week.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index