ha another NWOBHM gem , post amended because I forgot about AIIZ as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBuftC3_QQ
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 03 October 2015 CE
Oct 04, 2015, 20:57
Asteroid No 4 - S/t

The Beach Boys - Smile (stereo) & Brian Wilson version / Best Unsurpassed Masters

Broadcast - Berberian Sound

The Clash - S/t

Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark 2

Alice Coltrane - Translinear Light

John Coltrane - The Avent-Guarde (with Don Cherry) / Om

Current 93- Christ The Pale Queen's Mighty In Sorrow / Swastikas For Noddy

The Damned - The Black Album

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue / Sketches of Spain / E.S.P / Miles In The Sky / Filles De Kilimanjaro / Live Evil

Equipe 84 - Cuore Beat

Fraction - Moon Blood

Hawkwind - S/t

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Rip, Rag & Panic / Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith / Prepare Thyself To Deal With A Miracle

The Move - New Movement

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

Billy Nicholls - Would You Believe?

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka

October Country - S/t

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Fillmore Auditorium 1966

Rain Parade - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip / Explosions In The Glass Palace

Rolling Stones - Out Of Our Heads / Aftermath / Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

Ravi Shankar - Chants of India

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Through The Looking Glass

Small Faces - S/t (Immediate) / Ogden's Nut Gone Flakes (mono) / Autumn's Store

The Smoke - S/t

Ryley Walker - Primrose Green

Yonin Bayashi - Ishoku Sokahatsu
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Oct 04, 2015, 21:00
MantraMouth wrote:

Animal Collective with Vashti Bunyan - Prospect Hummer- (thanks Garerama for the heads up!)

You are very welcome. Glad you enjoying. It's a wonderful collaboration.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Oct 04, 2015, 21:44
Motorpsycho – Supersonic Scientists. 25 year retrospective/best of. Not many bands could put something like this out and for the best tracks all to be from the last five years, including this awesome slice of Nordic prog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDlQs67lVCs

Killing Joke – Pylon. Loving this, tempted to say something similar to the above, except this is a band with the likes of ‘Eighties’, ‘Love Like Blood’ etc in their back catalogue

Go March – s/t. Liked this a lot more on second listen, clever proggy motorik instrumentals

VA – In A Moment… Ghost Box. All the world-building stuff aside, Ghost Box has just consistently produced great music over the past ten years, undiminished by the fact you always kind of know what you’re going to get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80FE0BaKbpw (love the way this track half-inches the melody to ‘Paint It Black’)

Noveller – Fantastic Planet / Glacial Glow. One woman atmospheric guitar instrumentalist, who’s just been on a big European tour, which I managed to miss completely. For post-rock drone that doesn’t suck, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQG0knPjk48

Girl Band – ‘Pears For Lunch’. The new Liars, perhaps. I love the controlled but rising hysteria of this track (nice video too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgi3ZvolkRQ

Electric Music – North London Spiritualist Church

Endless Boogie – Long Island
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 05, 2015, 13:34
Oct 04, 2015, 22:40
It was an album that IIRC I got free with a subscription to the magazine a long, long time ago ....

http://www.amazon.com/Adbusters-Live-Without-Mixed-Spooky/dp/B0013QSGO2

Thank you for the tips btw.

Want to trade?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 04, 2015, 22:41
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
I have been working my way through the archives of the Eddie Trunk podcast. Intelligent, unapologetic and often very candid interviews with Metal's great, good and not so good.

http://podcastone.com/Eddie-Trunk-Podcast?showAllEpisodes=true

I had the very good fortune to see Steve Wilson at RAH on Monday. No Matt Berry unfortunately but a fantastic three hour show nonetheless. Adam Holzman (of Warner era Miles Davis fame) and Nick Beggs (on stick bass) in particular shone plus the staging is some of the best I have ever seen on a rock stage. So inevitably these have all had a play or three this week ...

No-Man - Together We're Stranger
No-Man - Flowermouth
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Steven Wilson - Transcience
Porcupine Tree- Stupid Dream
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

Going to see Steve Hackett on Tuesday, and hoping Nick Beggs will feature :)

Not sure he is in Hackett's band on this run (could be Lee Pomeroy instead). I am going Wednesday so you'll have to tell me!
keith a
9574 posts

Oct 04, 2015, 22:50
The Velvet Trail – Marc Almond
First album I've bought by MA for ages and I've got to say it’s good to hear him again.

Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
I actually think this is a bit of a classic Bad Seeds album.

Music For Pleasure – The Damned
Most of the second albums by the original punk/new wave acts (Buzzcocks, Clash, Jam, Adverts) were inferior to their debuts and MFP is no exception. OK, they did try a few different things (along with the singles I thought the relentless You Know and the Television pastiche Idiot Box were the best things on it), but it felt like some of the energy had been sucked out of it. I've enjoyed hearing it again though and the Stooges-like Alone sounds ace!

Machine Gun Etiquette – The Damned
I saw The Damned for the umpteenth time a couple of weeks ago and from the opening Love Song (complete with ‘Ladies & Gentlemen, how do?’ intro) MGE, along with The Black album, provided a large part of the set. They were great by the way!

Who Is The Sender - Bill Fay
I don’t think BF’s latest is quite as good as Life Is People, but all the same it’s got moments of real beauty. How Little is one such number.

Hollow Meadows – Richard Hawley
Only RH’s newie once as yet, but it sounded pretty decent.

Ones & Sixes – Low
Yet another fabulous release from Duluth’s finest. As mentioned elsewhere here there are top tunes, interesting arrangements and fab harmonies.

Cellar Songs EP - Meilir
There are some decent acts round here these days and Meilir is one of the finest. This is pretty damn special.

Music Complete - New Order
Really enjoyable though there’s a sense that there’s some pandering to their audience here. I’d certainly have liked a few more risks.

What The World Needs Now... - PiL
I saw them live last week and they were sensational. No, really! I’d only seen them once before, way back in 1986 and though I enjoyed them there was a sense they were past their best back then. They probably still are on record though this has its moments but live they were something else. Hilites were Poptones, Deeper Water, Warrior (not one of my fave numbers by them I have to say) and a fabulous Death Disco. They ended with a lengthy Religion before coming back with Public Image and a singalong Rise.

Righteous Lite - Revolutionary Corps of Teenage Jesus
1999 album where former Altered Images member Stephen Lironi got to be a Martin Rev figure and provide the musical backdrop for some wonderful Alan Vega moments.

Sun Structures – Temples
The opening former single Shelter Song apart I was rather disappointed with this album on its release, but going back to it now it sounds altogether better.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 05, 2015, 07:12
Oct 05, 2015, 07:09
I really like Joe Walsh's pre Eagles records. If you are looking for more then "So What" is a fantastic album (was a Nicky Horne staple in early 75). The live album from that era "You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind" is not bad either. If he had made a record entirely of hooky riffed rockers the he would have been a global phenomenon in the pre MTV era. As it is the albums are much more varied and "musicianly". Listening to them it seems he wanted to be a Macca or a Nilsson rather than the Nuge or Robin Trower.
Beebon
1375 posts

Oct 05, 2015, 07:41
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol 4
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Meat Puppets - II
Van Morrison - Moondance
Neil Young - On The Beach

Carlton Melton - Always Even
Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos
Carlton Melton - Out To Sea (saw them in Falmouth on Wednesday night and was mega impressed, I had been fond of their albums for a while and seeing them play made me realise just how good they are!)

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy
Spooky Tooth - Spooky Two
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 05, 2015, 11:30
I'll second So What and add Barnstorm to the list especially if your enjoying his less rock tracks .His time with the James Gang is pretty awesome but more hard rock than Beatles check out Ashes The Rain and I on youtube lovely bit of cello action
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index