open letter to 17 year old boys who just discovered the Doors

21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Re: open letter to 17 year old boys who just discovered the Doors
Sep 03, 2015, 19:42
Yep, if music is about anything, it's fun and passion. I must have aquired a huge knowledge of popular (and unpopular) music - like most folks around here - since I first dived in head first aged 13 after hearing Bowie's "Ashes To Ashes" in 1980, BUT, it was never meant as a degree course. In fact I'd run home from school to get away from that kind of stuff and bury myself in whatever music was obsessing me at the time.

I bought "Fade To Grey", "Vienna" & "Party Fears Two" on 7" around that time, and loved them all. Only one of them still resonates with me now (guess which!), but so what?

I swapped a copy of "Ant Music" (picture sleeve!) 7" for a Doors single when I was a wee bit older and it seemed "childish". I should have hung onto it, as I love the Ants all over again now.

The Doors were brilliant though. Still love 'em. "LA Woman" is a masterpiece LP.

My love of music old and new still burns brightly, but it was life and death to me when I was a kid, and I'd never step on any youngsters love for whatever it is they're listening to. It^s a very special thing to be young and fired up by music.

(Just don't get me started on the AutoTune!)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index