Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Re: open letter to 17 year old boys who just discovered the Doors
Sep 03, 2015, 13:14
carol27 wrote:
grufty jim wrote:
espsummer wrote:
All in all i think Radiohead is a rite of passage too and later on you may think to yourself "was it really that great? Does it hold up?"

Just to address this thought (not meaning to "selectively quote" you).

Surely the whole point is that it doesn't matter if it holds up later on. I have no idea what age you are; but assuming you recall being 17... it's absolutely not about "getting into music that I will still find relevant and important when I'm 45".

It's all about how it makes you feel... there and then... when you are 17 and raw and open to emotion in a way you will never be again. It's not about selecting art that you will always love; or selecting art that some old curmudgeon approves of. It's about what it makes you feel at the time.

Which is why I feel that "open letter" completely misses the point, and its author comes across as an 18-carat arsehole.

Well said. The passion we feel as youngsters is "raw" & fills our lives. Luckily I still feel moved by most of the stuff that thrilled me back then ( & it's not just nostalgia.) Maybe that means I haven't " grown up" sufficiently; but, you know, actually I have, I've had to. Jim Morrison's voice is still my most favourite voice ever, with Van Morrison second; & I love all the obvious others like Sinatra, Buckley etc, oh, bugger & so many more!

And anyway it was the Stranglers who got me into the Doors, and the Morrison connection that got me into Van the Man so..on it goes.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index