Richard Thompson 'Still'
Paul Weller 'Saturns Pattern'
Sandy Denny 'Rendezvous'
Caravan 'The Album', 'Blind Dog At St Dunstan's' & 'Better By Far'
Kevin Ayers 'Whatevershebringswesing'
National Health 'Of Queues & Cures'
Hugh Hopper & Richard Sinclair 'Somewhere In France'
Keith Jarrett 'Belonging'
Mozart Symphony no.41 'Jupiter' (two recordings: Harnoncourt/Concertgebouw and Kubelik/BRSO)
Messiaen 'The Birth Of The Savour' (Tim Winpenny)
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 July 2015 CE
Jul 06, 2015, 21:09
That's Why God Made The Radio - The Beach Boys
OK, it's a bit BB by numbers but given the choice of this and it not existing ay this late stage of their career I'll gladly take it. Oddly I've been really enjoying Daybreak Over The Nation most this week - I say oddly because it's a Love number! The vocal harmonies on that one bring to mind some vintage numbers.

The Very Best Of - KC & the Sunshine Band
Something like the third week in a row for this. I just can't enough of it, especially Sound Your Funky Horn.

S/T - Vesuvio
I'll always support an artist's right to do what he wants to do, but that doesn't mean I don't wish make an album of Tiny Children's rather than this!

Also...

The Velvet Trail - Marc Almond
Dream River - Bill Callahan
Taking Tiger Mountain - Eno
Life Is People - Bill Fay
Tales Of Us - Goldfrapp
I'm Sick Of You! - Iggy & the Stooges
Yes Boss Food Corner - Transglobal Underground
Mule Variations - Tom Waits
Just As I Am - Bill Withers
My Generation (MOJO's 60's Beat-Filled Teenage Mod Angst) - V/A
carol27
747 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 21:27
I used to be in the KC & the Sunshine Band fan club, back in the day. They used to send me news letters, badges & all sorts, all the way from Americy. They always got the address wrong too but they still got to me. Same with Bazooka Joe. They were a splendid band.
keith a
9574 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 21:50
carol27 wrote:
I used to be in the KC & the Sunshine Band fan club, back in the day. They used to send me news letters, badges & all sorts, all the way from Americy. They always got the address wrong too but they still got to me.

Cool!!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2015, 08:56
Jul 07, 2015, 06:58
spencer wrote:
9) Kronos Quartet - One Earth, One People, One Love: Kronos Plays Terry Riley ... not out till Fri

I have just bought Kronos / Riley's "Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector" (the disc that is the new bit of the box) as a stand-alone release. It's fantastic. If you are looking to delve deeper, I was Kronos Quartet's publicist here for their first three Nonesuch releases back in the 80s and I can highly recommend both White Man Sleeps and Winter Was Hard if you do not have them. Rock journalists got sucked in by the costumes and the Hendrix cover etc but underneath all that is an almost unparalleled bedrock commitment to commissioning and performing new music.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jul 10, 2015, 11:13
Sorry for the delay in response, Ian. Thanks for the recommendations. I saw that the new material would also be available as a stand alone release and that it was very fine - and SOOLworthy in due course - but am going for the box. I regard Riley/Kronos as an association of equals as far as musical ability is concerned, and they're perfect interpreters of an innovator. Kronos are one of those that I've long been aware of and heard snippets that I really like but have never bought and rectifying this is long overdue. With this release I can't think of a better spur and intend to delve deeper subsequently. Cheers.
carol27
747 posts

Jul 11, 2015, 20:27
All week, Grace Jones, over & over. I'd forgotten how magnificent this woman is.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Jul 11, 2015, 20:48
The dickies-all this and puppet stew
big black-lungs
big black-headache
nina hagen-personal jesus
yes-talk
men without hats-the silver collection
chemical brothers-born in echo's
dead boys-we have come for your children
gun club-lucky jim
lard-70's rock must die
misfits-devils rain
Jefferson airplane=long john silver
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2015, 22:29
Jul 11, 2015, 22:27
Boredoms- Super Ae
Vision,Creation,New Sun

Julian Cope- Raveolution

Read Julian's ecstatic 'AOTM' review of V.C.N.S where he says 'other musicians can now rip this masterpiece off (I surely fucking will) and humanity will be higher because of it'. Kinda feels like Raveolution makes total sense in the wake of the Boredoms albums...

Sweetly fried...
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index