mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

For Sin Agog and 60s Psych Heads
Apr 27, 2015, 18:44
So mate, Chicas 2 was good but not great (imho). This, however, is the shizzle:

VA - Don't Be Bad! 60s Punk Recorded In Texas

Amazon blurb:

"Texas-based Huey P Meaux hit paydirt with Sir Doug's She s About A Mover in early 1965. The maverick producer immediately threw out a cattle call for the next bunch of teenage longhairs who could deliver him a hit. That didn t happen, but over the next few years he amassed a litany of superb grass roots punk and rock n roll recordings, spread across his Tribe, Pacemaker, Pic 1, Ventural, Capri imprints and others. While there were occasional visitors from out-of-state: the Phinx from Mississippi, the Pirates and Greek Fountains from Louisiana and the Trashmen of Minneapolis but the bulk of Meaux's charges naturally hail from the motherlode of Texas, ground zero for the raunchiest, gnarliest 60s punk. Mostly taped at his Pasadena Sounds facility, Don't Be Bad celebrates the Crazy Cajun's garage rock legacy. Extensive research into Huey Meaux's rarely tapped vault has resulted in a power-packed set list guaranteed to impress even the most hardened garage collector. Master tape sound on classics including Barry & Life's Top-Less Girl , Destiny's Children Fall Of The Queen and the Passions' Lively One guarantees a punchy listen; superb unreleased sides from the likes of the Driving Wheels and Sands add major appeal. The packed booklet spills the full beans on the amazing contents."

Tracklisting

1. Top-Less Girl - Barry & Life
2. Don't Be Bad - The Driving Wheels
3. The Fall Of The Queen - Destiny's Children
4. Girl Said No - What's Left
5. Cuttin' Out - The Pirates
6. Her Loving Way - Gaylan Ladd
7. I Don't Need You - The Sands
8. Again - The People
9. Lively One - The Passions
10. Better Come Get Her - The Triumphs
11. It's You - The Actioneers
12. Lost In A Crowd - The Dodads
13. To No Place Of Its Own - The Phinx
14. Farmer John-The Argyles
15. Baby I Need You - The Eccentrics
16. She's Got Me Running - The Driving Wheels
17. Gotta Tell Her - The Blue Diamonds
18. Dirty Dirty Game - Gaylan Ladd
19. Open Your Eyes - The Sands
20. Don't Tell Me - The Chancellors
21. Honey Hush - The Loafers
22. Mona/Who Do You Love - The Pirates
23. Don't Go In My Room Girl - Bob & Gaylan
24. Everything's Right - The Phinx
25. Hour Glass - Burner Amburn
26. Bring Me - The Dodads

This, my friend, is the real deal - great comp. Let me know if you want to hear it and we'll work summat out.

Cheers
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Re: For Sin Agog and 60s Psych Heads
Apr 28, 2015, 09:07
Looks great. I wonder if there's any connection between Destiny's Children and a later Houston R&B band who went on to some success- Destiny's Child?
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 28, 2015, 16:17
Great stuff.

I could be wrong, I think this use to be part of a much larger 9cd Acid Visions years back.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

May 09, 2015, 14:33
Hey, ming! Cheers for this. I've spent the last two weeks with my electricity cut off because of some bureaucratic bullshit* so missed this thread the first time round. Texas' psyche scene always seemed waaaay worth further exploration by me. I still think that Cold Sun Dark Shadows release is some visionary shit. Would love to read Hunter's book on the Texas scene he's got brewing one day. Make a thread about it when you're done to jog my memory, man.

*note to self: two weeks of dry food will result in a fuckton of mouth ulcers.
Unsung Forum Index