When RYM goes wrong and FNM in general

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2015, 18:20
When RYM goes wrong and FNM in general
Apr 24, 2015, 18:20
Just been exploring Faith No More's back catalogue as they have a couple of singles out and a new album coming. Quite enjoying 'motherfucker'! The Real Thing is a bobby dazzler of an album of course so I thought I would check out Angel Dust as it gets the highest rating. I really can't see what all the fuss is about. So here are a few questions for you:
1) Are there any other FNM albums worth checking out? ( I also have Introduce Yourself which is ok)
2) When does the hoi polloy get it badly wrong for you on RYM

I'm off to revisit some Mr Bungle releases and also California which RYM says is bestest. We shall see
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2015, 19:51
Re: When RYM goes wrong and FNM in general
Apr 24, 2015, 19:37
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Just been exploring Faith No More's back catalogue as they have a couple of singles out and a new album coming. Quite enjoying 'motherfucker'! The Real Thing is a bobby dazzler of an album of course so I thought I would check out Angel Dust as it gets the highest rating. I really can't see what all the fuss is about. So here are a few questions for you:
1) Are there any other FNM albums worth checking out? ( I also have Introduce Yourself which is ok)
2) When does the hoi polloy get it badly wrong for you on RYM

I'm off to revisit some Mr Bungle releases and also California which RYM says is bestest. We shall see

If you're into that kinda stuff, then I would suggest the first 'Queens of The Stone Age' album. It's a fucking cracker. All of 'The Desert Sessions' are brilliant too.

Disclaimer - I bought them.

QOTSA -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVlYh7Je9Y
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 21:30
Long time since I listened to FNM, but I used to really like the first album with Chuck M, We Care A Lot, proggy industrial rap stuff. Angel Dust does have two great singles on it - Midlife Crisis and Be Aggressive - so not sure how out RYM is there?
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Apr 25, 2015, 08:53
The thing with Angel Dust is that it rewrote the rules. Midlife Crisis was genuine "where the fuck did that come from?" single. Sadly, it's the blueprint for a right old bag of shite. Yet, it still sounds as if it could have been recorded last week

King for A Day and Album of the Year are well worth checking out. There's not another Real Thing in there, but it's an interesting body of work
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 25, 2015, 13:04
I guess the Real Thing is the BIG seller, though Angel Dust is more of a fan fave for its mix of discordant brutality and FNM's pop nous. The albums that followed are good too, underrated really.

The new one, "Sol Invictus" has just got a 9/10 glowing review in Metal Hamster, for what it's worth saying it's as good as anything that came before the split. Guess we'll see!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 25, 2015, 15:04
That's encouraging - i think it is out in May. Of the 2 singles, this is my fav so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDseuyDdw8A
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2015, 15:09
Apr 25, 2015, 15:07
just me then! Well to my ears it sounds a bit Real thing lite, although i will admit that be aggressive is a good single It just doesn't hold together as a consistently good album for me
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Apr 25, 2015, 15:41
Angel Dust gets the highest rating because it is their best album. Maybe hearing it now doesn't have the same impact, but when it came out, after the popularity of The Real Thing, it was such a perfect follow up and successor. I heard King for a Day and Album of the Year, and didn't care for them at all (maybe a few songs). Angel Dust is the one I listen to most of all, their earlier stuff not being that great (Introduce Yourself is a great song though).

Hard to say why it doesn't gel with some, but AD really is their best.
Unsung Forum Index