Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited Mar 30, 2015, 21:34
Great little photobook of the Stonehenge Free Festy 1981 onwards
Mar 30, 2015, 21:20
http://issuu.com/alstokes/docs/al_stokes_stonehenge_festival_photo

Plus nice overview of the free festival as an extension of an wonderful and exhaustive Hawkwind fan site. http://www.starfarer.net/

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/henge-history-2.html
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: Great little photobook of the Stonehenge Free Festy 1981 onwards
Mar 31, 2015, 04:05
Thanks, I enjoyed that. My year was 1979 but I was far too wasted to take any photos.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Mar 31, 2015, 17:23
Yeah, it amazes me peoples mnemonic powers of recollection, I barely remember what I did last week (unless there's photo evidence).
Sadly, my Stonehenge years were when the festy was on the downward slide mid-late 80's. Deffo more hassles and bad vibes, but as you say, quite a lot of us were pretty mashed the whole time, so it's amazing any of us recall anything. The early to mid 70's sounded great, hell, even the police seemed fairly moderate, and weirdly seemed to keep their distance. Guess it was the sheer numbers turning up, Thatcher determination to smash anything not part of the Status Quo, the heroin, and the dickhead bikers that called time on it in the end.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Apr 01, 2015, 03:50
Very true about the police keeping their distance. If one made it in and stayed on the site they left us to our tepees, hot knives and the free food, complimented by open trench toilets. Eventually they showed mercy and allowed some portaloos in. Actually it was lovely to lie in a field on a summers evening and enjoying some very good unpretentious music, left alone to indulge our ideals.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Apr 02, 2015, 15:27
I went every year - mum and dad used to take me up there as a little kid (I grew up in Amesbury/Durrington), then in the 80's me my mates would bunk off school to go and get mushrooms and dope from "The Wallies".
Very special to me.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Apr 02, 2015, 20:01
Wow! great place to grow up. Did you get to wander out to Salisbury plain and the remains round about? Looking back, we used to cover vast distances as kids, miles and miles from home with nothing but a jam sandwich and a bottle of squash. Seems weird in this age of perpetual contact that we'd go the whole day without parental contact, and you'd get home and it would be "was your hands for tea", never even asked where you'd been. Christ, my missus has a fit if the kids don't stay in touch every couple of hours, even though they're 17 & 20 respectively. We had a lot of freedom to roam back then (dodging rival 'gangs' aside....."you're not from round here...erm, no.....quick leg it!).
Wiggy
1696 posts

Apr 02, 2015, 20:35
It would be tanks and squaddies you'd be dodging out on The Plain!
I've loved all the Neolithic stuff for years and that's probably due to where I grew up, but it's pretty sh*tty around there in lots of ways too.
The way the free festy was crushed is still upsetting today, but I work with loads of youn 'uns who probably prefer the expensive sanitised rip off events on offer now. Thatchers' bloody Britain, eh!? =;o)
Unsung Forum Index