Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Form an orderly queue - here we go again...

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Form an orderly queue - here we go again...
Apr 18, 2015, 12:24
They were queueing with sleeping bags (!) outside Piccadilly records in Manchester from late afternoon yesterday. I can't help thinking some of the people there would happily look on the people that queue for days for the lastest iPhone or somesuch as being symptomatic of a kind of ugly, consumerist insanity. It all looks pretty similar to me, I must say.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Apr 18, 2015, 14:34
I am certain some record shops break the rules and make sure that regulars are taken care of. Nudge nudge. Which is as it should be. I'm off to raid the local Oxfam Books and Music for proper bargains!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Apr 18, 2015, 21:17
I must admit I love it here in Godalming. Our local shop just about manages to survive thanks to RSD. And I seem the same marvelous mad bunch of geeky clowns year in year out. I even love the chap who cues from 5:00 in the morning just to make sure he gets the U2 album! Record Corner only allows one item per person, then you queue again. This works out brilliantly - if there are any sad ebayer types (and I haven't met any) they have to wait a while in the cold for each purchase. For me it is one of the pleasures of Springtime - especially if I manage to get The Heads on vinyl :)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Apr 18, 2015, 23:10
Sounds fab...and fair. Oh that every other store could adopt a similar policy.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Apr 18, 2015, 23:43
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Sounds fab...and fair. Oh that every other store could adopt a similar policy.

Indeed. It is how it was originally intended, I'm sure.
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Apr 19, 2015, 10:55
Ironic that on the day the indie shops get flooded with overpriced repressings of classic albums, I went browsing in the bargain basement of the Record & Tape Exchange and picked up original Harvest pressings of the first 3 Barclay James Harvest LPs for £3 each.
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 19, 2015, 11:14
Yes, over-priced stuff that generally we don't really need so I don't buy much myself. I did, however, get the Bowie/Tom Verlaine 'Kingdom Come' 7". Sure it was over-priced and I didn't really need it, but sometimes things just take your fancy!

But it's good for our local record shop so that's a good thing. And the lovely fella who runs it also organises a record fair nearby to coincide with RSD and together with a local promoter puts on live music in the same building. I've played this event the past three years (this time with our band Heartbeat Wunderbar) and it really is a cracking day.
carol27
747 posts

Apr 19, 2015, 18:16
Jack White has bought Elvis 1st recording ( that he did for Gladys'birthday ) & is releasing it as a 78 rpm 10 inch record like the original for RSD.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Apr 19, 2015, 18:58
I went into Reflex and JG Windows in Newcastle today (the day AFTER Record Store Day) and found that nearly everything of interest to me from the day was still present and correct in stock. So, without queueing or losing my temper, I availed myself of repressings Dr Strangely Strange's 'Kip Of The Serenes' (a rip off £25, but it'll keep my already battered original from taking any further abuse), Deep Purple's 'The Book Of Taliesyn' in mono (£20) and The Wedding Present's 'Take Fountain' (£16 for a two LP set, although the first record's scratched and will have to go back). Only 'Strange Days' in mono eluded me, but I can live without it. There were other records I would've bought had they not been so damned expensive. I mean, £32 for The Gods' 'Genesis'? You're having a laff, especially as that same record can be bought on CD in Sainsbury's with four other psychedelic gems for eight sobs. (I know - I got it there myself just a few months back.)

The moral? There's really no need to endure the argy bargy of RSD on the day. Chances are, anything you may want from the event will still be waiting for you long after earlier buyers have put their still sealed purchases on eBay for ludicrous prices.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Apr 20, 2015, 11:01
Timed it well on saturday. Got to Rough Trade East just after midday - no queues - waited around till Wire finished their set. Left at 2:30 - the queue was round the block.

My only RSD purchase - a pint of 7.2% beer sold by the shop entitled "Bloody Hell".
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index