METAL BOX IN A METAL BOX

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: METAL BOX IN A METAL BOX
Mar 01, 2015, 23:39
79'-81' would have been 12-14 for me. Was just starting to get turned onto music big time. Amazing amount of great pop records as well as later discovered underground (or alternative as it was labeled at my local record store back then).
Yep, still listen to Adam and the Ants as well, 'Dirk' and'Kings' are astounding pop records compaired to what we get dished up these days. Read his biog a while ago, an amazingly driven indiviual (just like Bowie), despite the troubles he was later beset by. Glad to see him still doing the rounds to a new audience.

It's hard to imagine these days just how popular Madness were back then. Hit after hit. Great albums. The 'modern day Kinks' moniker is much deserved. Fondly recall the little viginettes like My Girl, and Embarrassment, which seemed to be written for us as teenagers, as well as the total joie de vivre of Baggy Trouser and Night Boat To Cairo. Great band.
Think the first Supergrass album had some of the same stuff going on as those mid period Madness albums. 'Caught By The Fuzz' was 'Baggy Trousers' for the 90's kids.

Those first four Echo and The Bunnymen albums always push the right buttons for me. To see a band develop so much over such a short period of time was always breathtaking. Each album sounds different. Ot sure what went wrong after Ocean Rain. Always makes me laugh that McCulloch seems such a consumate Scouser, yet these beautiful lyrical poems and refrains tumble from his lips. Mind you, could never hold a note live. Always sounded like a strangled cat (as did Siouxsie unfortunately).

Unsung Forum Index