METAL BOX IN A METAL BOX

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: METAL BOX IN A METAL BOX
Mar 01, 2015, 22:48
Looks like my playlist for the next week may be sorted. Not dug some of those records out in a loooong time, esp the Swell Maps stuff.

As far as growing up goes, it was 1979 thru to 1981 that many of my favourite albums and singles were released.

Think it was Lloyd Cole that said, whatever you were into at 14, once you've been thru your hipster years, you always return to. For me, his quote is pretty much spot on. I've been around the block a few times hipster wise, and I still get a thrill from the discovery of stuff 'new' to me, but the stuff I return to for pleasure and familiarity is the stuff from this period.

Mind you, we could say, ahhhh, but what a period. I kinda feel sorry for my kids, they've not really had those new, fresh and sometimes astonishng sounds to look forward too. They've pretty much rifled through my record collection to find there pointers. As Simon whatsisface says in hs Retroculture book, were forever looking backwards musically and culturally these days, trying to re-invent the wheel, but many of us of a certain age have heard much of it all before.

Unsung Forum Index