Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The naturally psychedelic
Feb 27, 2015, 16:49
Sin Agog wrote:
(Again) another factoid I remember hearing is that birds have different "accents" in the cities and country. They sing in a slightly higher pitch in the city because it bounces off buildings better, but the deeper pitch travels better in open spaces and the woods.

I have never came across that before , did it take into consideration volume ?
Eugene Morton came up with the "ranging hypothesis "in the 70's which suggested that distance and degradation of song was important in responses to songs in the same species i.e.clear loud songs evoke more violent repsonses than fuzzier degraded and hence more distant ones .
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 16:57
Sin Agog wrote:
(Again) another factoid I remember hearing is that birds have different "accents" in the cities and country. They sing in a slightly higher pitch in the city because it bounces off buildings better, but the deeper pitch travels better in open spaces and the woods.

I played in a place a couple of days ago, and the ceilings were so high, you could not hear a damn thing. Good reverb though.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: most psychedelic record you've heard?
Feb 27, 2015, 18:47
666 by Aphrodites Child has to be a note worthy candidate. It does directly address the thesis as being Greeks they are influenced by St John the Divine who must have been taking ancient psychedelics nearby in space but in time long ago. I will stick my neck out and say that it is the best Vertigo LP of the classic period.

http://youtu.be/3KCbqhJt16k

I deeply love the acoustics of the bell here, suits full fathom five if anyone wishes to apply a soundscape to Shakespeare.

http://youtu.be/4Zbx1W2cnwU

Heavy sounds here.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 18:50
And don't forget, people have not always been 'willingly' party to tripping either. If you didn't dry and store your harvest correctly, or there was a particularly wet period prior to harvesting, you get the chance of ergot mold occurring. A natural black fungus, on the ears of wheat and other crops, which has powerful psychedelic properties. If I recall right, too much could cause ailments like Ergotism and St Vitus Dance.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Ergot+and+ergotism

Your right though, the natural sounds of nature are amazing when spaced. especially if your in rocky valleys or ravines. The natural reverb of rivers, waterfalls, wind and animal noises is otherworldliy, and sometimes quite scary too.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 18:59
Ha ha your not wrong!. Had one of my worst trips sound tracked by Locust Abortion Technician. I was frozen rigid in me chair, to terrified to get up to turn off the bloody tape (was at that point in the trip when the walls and carpet were 'breathing').
Thank got it wasn't stuck on auto reverse, or I'd probably still be there.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2015, 22:06
Feb 27, 2015, 19:54
tiompan wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:

I have never came across that before , did it take into consideration volume ?
Eugene Morton came up with the "ranging hypothesis "in the 70's which suggested that distance and degradation of song was important in responses to songs in the same species i.e.clear loud songs evoke more violent repsonses than fuzzier degraded and hence more distant ones .

The wonderful and wonderfully surnamed , Hans Slabbekoorn

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/dec/05/uknews
espsummer
340 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 05:47
i similarly had one of my worst trips to "hairway to steven". But at least it made me kind of stop listening to some of the more aggressive and immature music that i was putting in my head.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Mar 01, 2015, 06:06
Monganaut wrote:
Ha ha your not wrong!. Had one of my worst trips sound tracked by Locust Abortion Technician. I was frozen rigid in me chair, to terrified to get up to turn off the bloody tape (was at that point in the trip when the walls and carpet were 'breathing').
Thank got it wasn't stuck on auto reverse, or I'd probably still be there.

one of my 1st trips was to the cream corn ep!
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index