Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2015, 12:01
Aguirre on telly
Jan 24, 2015, 11:32
Tomorrow night, Film4 23-15. A perfect marriage of music and film, and the start of a Film4 Herzog season - Nosferatu to follow praps?...and is Edgar's passing the most significant Kraut one since Florian's?
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: Aguirre on telly
Jan 24, 2015, 12:29
the greatest film in a language other than english (silent foreign films not counting)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 24, 2015, 12:37
Actually, I think the film was shot in English, dubbed into German, then dubbed back into English again. Herzog always liked to do things the quixotic way.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 24, 2015, 12:42
The five minutes Aguirre theme is still one of my favourite pieces of music, though I think I prefer Hosianna Mantra and Letzte Tage, Letzte Nächte overall.

I love that Herzog is thoroughly ensconced in the mainstream now. He's referenced in Family Guy, Simpsons and all those other shows, plus that new Madagascar movie even begins with nothing but Herzog. How cool is that? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWxy9C5svFU
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 24, 2015, 13:35
Thought you were right based on hazy memory of a documentary of its making seen on telly long ago, just checked the Wikipedia entry which is extensive and well worth a read, and, yup, English.. I agree with my fellow city resident (hi) as to its stature.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jan 24, 2015, 15:08
It's rather good how he has the respect of Hollywood for such an outsider. Makes sense though, Hollywood has always needed and taken in talented folk like him. Must be oddly rewarding. Seems he is also a bit of a fan of L.A. In return.
veneta1
223 posts

Jan 24, 2015, 16:23
Check out the opening episode of the new season of Parks and Recreation for possibly the greatest and weirdest cameo in a TV show ever.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 25, 2015, 05:36
Just watched it. First couple of eps seem a bit flat compared to previous seasons, but that cameo was something else! I don't think anyone else on the planet, save maybe the late Kinski, could have uttered the word "Disneyworld" with quite that level of ire and malice. I remember being surprised to see Herzog acting in Julien Donkey Boy, in spite of the fact that Korine is, comparatively, a relatively kindred spirit, but the dude was the villain in a Tom Cruise blockbuster, for Crom's sake! I should give the commentaries to my old Herzy boxsets another play. I remember them being almost as good as the movies themselves. His diary about his afternoon stroll from Munich to Paris to visit the extremely important German film critic Lotte Eisner on her sickbed, Of Walking In Ice, is arguably my favourite Herzog product. It seems to be the purest exemplar of his personality yet. Copies go for 100s of dollars, but I think you can read it all on scribd: http://www.scribd.com/doc/243361073/Werner-Herzog-Of-Walking-in-Ice-Munich-Paris-23-November-14-December-1974#scribd
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 25, 2015, 12:34
have set my recorder. Know nothing of the chap as yet...
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2015, 17:01
Jan 25, 2015, 16:57
You'll be starting in the right place. Such an eerie, eldritch pic. I have sort of ruined it just a teensy, weensy bit by watching My Best Fiend, Herzog's doc about his relationship with Kinski. Now every time I watch the opening shot of the troupe of Spanish conquistadors and their skivvies marching down the foggy hillside, for example, I keep on flashing back to Kinski throwing a hissy fit over the fact that there's no close-up on his face.

I saw a short 8 min film recently by an '80s horror director about what a nightmare it was having to work with Kinski. It's called Please Kill Mr Kinski (watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqRgweZ3SA). The ending is extremely sweet and poignant, though. He really had an animal magnetism like no other actor. You watch all these actors churned out of RADA, or some shiny Hollywood starbot factory, and not a one of them draw your eyes towards them the way Kinski could. He was a raging narcissistic rapist psychopath, but the dude could light up the screen like no other.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index