Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Remembering Edgar Froese (1944-2015)

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Remembering Edgar Froese (1944-2015)
Jan 24, 2015, 07:19
His music changed my life, about 76 I was really into Sabbath & The Beatles, hooks,riffs, I Saw Her Standing There & Paranoid were my idea of the pinnacle of musical achievement.
A tv programme had a piece by Kraftwek as its introduction which my smug older brother incorrectly said was by TD
Went to a record shop, saw Zeit, cheapest one and a double,RESULT! more bang for my buck. Then I took it home and put it on. WTF! where are the riffs, where is anything approaching a song, what the hell is this, obviously it was cheap because it was a load of old nonsense.
But I went back because I'd paid my hard earned paper round money for this, it's on Virgin they wouldn't put out any old rubbish and although it made zero sense to me it kept pulling me back, slowly as i repeatedly listened it opened up and made me see there was more to this music lark than I'd realised.
Luckily the next TD lp I got was Ricochet which was a whole lot easier to get into, opened doors to Can, Amon Duul II, Hawkwind and onwards, but my fallback lps whenever something relaxing/trancey is required have always remaine Zeit & Ricochet.
I went to Cairo once and the out standing memory of an otherwise horrible visit was watching the sun rise over the Nile whilst listening to Nebulous Dawn,also in Kensal Rise, sun coming up over the canal after a King Kurt gig the night before, you know you're onto something when even coated in green gunk, coming down off a Special Brew hangover and coughing out last nights B&H gunk you stll feel special & blessed to be listening to something so wonderful
footnote.after the sunrise in Kensal I went to a tea van for a cuppa tea and a bacon butty, when the tea guy asked me what I was listening to he called me an old hippy, spent half an hour talking about the Roundhouse and gave me another cup of tea and a fried egg sandwich for free

Unsung Forum Index