Joe Cocker RIP

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Joe Cocker RIP
Dec 22, 2014, 18:53
Yet another gone....how many in the last few months? Farewell, unique voice. I expect the vid of With A Little Help From My Friends, backed by the Grease Band, is on youtube. Will watch. Thanks for the memories.. : (
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: Joe Cocker RIP
Dec 22, 2014, 18:58
Just heard. Terrible news.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 22, 2014, 19:09
Blimey. Just heard this too. How many this year? Think the reaper will squeeze a few more out before 2015?

When they do that 'those we have lost' section at award ceremonies this year, it's gonna go on for about a week!

RIP
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 22, 2014, 19:56
Reaper: the way things are going I wouldn't bet against it...it seems most xmas hols someone goes and I find out a day or so later. Only saw Joe once.. in the year or two after Woodstock most of those who appeared were booked for either the Hyde Park frees or Crystal Palace, and saw him at the latter. Yup, I know he went a bit 'cheese' later on, but in his prime he really knew how to give it some. There was an album he did with Sly and Robbie called Sheffield Steel. Never heard it, but sounds an interesting match.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Dec 22, 2014, 20:03
I think the bastard should send a few back.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Dec 22, 2014, 20:19
That's really bad news. A true, unique talent. I'll remember him for his excellent first two albums, 'Sheffield Steel' (an unsung gem) and for being far and away the best vocalist at Woodstock. Not to mention the greatest cover version of a Beatles song ever. RIP.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Dec 22, 2014, 21:58
I must admit I've never given his work the attention it deserves, but I've always had a lot of respect for the sheer power and unique qualities of his voice. And this clip of Woodstock is a classic:

http://youtu.be/fK3gO4DICm8

Hope you're skinning up out there somewhere, Joe.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 22, 2014, 23:15
Just turned on the Yesterday channel and there he is singing it..that b+w performance on Sounds of the Sixties. A strange, sad coincidence....
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Dec 23, 2014, 01:54
Sad news :-(
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2014, 07:36
Dec 23, 2014, 07:10
I like some of his hits (Space Captain, Feelin Alright, You Are So Beautiful, Delta Lady etc) but am a bit young to have known much about him when he was in his pomp. I was 7 when Woodstock happened and by the time I was buying albums he was considered something of a burn-out / casualty.

I do remember him getting his own a section in Robert Greenfield's "Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones" which functioned as a catty how-not-to-be-a-rock-star cautionary tale told (ironically) through the eyes of Jim Price or possibly Bobby Keys.

On a semi-related ("You Are So Beautiful") note there is a really interesting (and in parts deeply shocking) Billy Preston documentary podcast that was released from the BBC archives fairly recently. Worth a listen.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index