Unsung Forum »
Best of Music 2014 ?....

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tk421
121 posts

Re: Best of Music 2014 ?....
Dec 15, 2014, 14:02
Do you mind if I ask, is the reissue of skylarking worth getting?

What do you think is the difference from what was released before?

I have the cd issued in the late 80s or early 90s. I haven't listened to it in a long time but I don't remember any major issues with it.

I'm not gifted with a pitch perfect ear, so is it actually worth getting for me? What I mean is, is there a noticeable difference? Is it louder? Does it sound different?
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Dec 15, 2014, 14:45
All worth continued listening! It's one of the perks / perils of being a music journalist (even a fairly low status one) in an age when it costs labels and PRs nothing to send you download links to everything. I've got another 50 LPs from this year on the computer that were certainly okay enough for me to not delete after one listen... I need to keep constant graded lists just to remind myself what I've enjoyed!
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Dec 15, 2014, 19:14
Paus - Clarão! Good to know! They're portuguese like me! I've seen them twice alive and they're fab!
moggieboy
moggieboy
29 posts

Dec 15, 2014, 20:03
Here's my 40 of 2014 as a Spotify playlist, quite enjoyed putting it together this morning:

http://open.spotify.com/user/moggieboy/playlist/4XxrO2qtTOYmagpCoiQiN7
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Dec 15, 2014, 20:12
tk421 wrote:
Do you mind if I ask, is the reissue of skylarking worth getting?

What do you think is the difference from what was released before?

I have the cd issued in the late 80s or early 90s. I haven't listened to it in a long time but I don't remember any major issues with it.

I'm not gifted with a pitch perfect ear, so is it actually worth getting for me? What I mean is, is there a noticeable difference? Is it louder? Does it sound different?

It does sound a lot better even to my tinatus ears! But it was never bad anyway. Now there is more of a punch - bass really thumbs and lots more top end. However, "Dear God" is sandwiched between "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul" and "Dying" which just isn't right. I wish they'd kept to the original UK 14 song sequence as I do not think "Dear God" fits (albeit a brilliant song).

I did fall in love with the album in it's wrong polarity state - so not an essential purchase if you are happy with your 80s/90s edition.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 06:00
Derrrr. Yep, That's the one.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 06:45
Shit, forgot to add Chain and the Gang, Kriedler, Fujiya Miyagi and Eternal Tapesty to my list, stormin' records all. Cheers for the reminder. Gonna dig em' out right now and rip em' to me walkman. Esp. love the Minimum Rock n Roll album, great swagger and joie de vivre to some of the tracks.

Also, looking through most played over last 3 months on my walkman, Notable mentions go out to...

Gut Und Irmler - 500m
Mogwai - Rave Tapes
Kanoi - From The City To The Stars
TV Smith - I Delete
Pye Corner Audio - Intercepts LP
The Listening Center - Cycles?/?Other Phenomena (Cass)
Luke Haines - NY in the 70's
Death Blues - Non Fiction LP
Shift Work - Scaled To Fit EP
Germman Army - Tassili Plateau EP (DL)
Thom Yorke - Tomorrows Modern Boxes
Bronze Teeth - a Waif's Rent (DL)
Tricky - Adrian Thaws
Moebius - Another Other Places
Edward Ka Spel & Philippe Petit - Are You Receiving
NWW - Chromanantron
Clock DVA - Clock 2 EP
tk421
121 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 09:26
Cheers!

I'm tempted but might give it a miss for the moment...

I did get a mp3 ep/mini album from amazon a few years ago called 'dear god'. It's got that song and a few other songs so I don't need to get this polarity corrected version to have that song in a completest way.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 09:26
Carlos wrote:
Paus - Clarão! Good to know! They're portuguese like me! I've seen them twice alive and they're fab!

Black Bombaim are also Portuguese and are an excellent psychedelic band!
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 09:49
Glad I'm not the only one who liked the Bowie single!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index