Unsung Forum »
LIndsay Cooper (Henry Cow) from the Guardian

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

LIndsay Cooper (Henry Cow) from the Guardian
Nov 24, 2014, 08:55
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/23/celebration-of-lindsay-cooper-barbican-live-review
is the review of last weekend's tribute concert

and
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/20/lindsay-cooper-rebel-with-applause
is a piece on the lady herself.

I haven't read the review yet but the Dime recording sounds pretty great.

Stevo
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: LIndsay Cooper (Henry Cow) from the Guardian
Nov 25, 2014, 14:05
Years ago I fell in love with her picture on the back of Steve Hillage's Fish Rising!
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 14:21
Yes, she was indeed a most pulchritudinous lady. Having been unfamiliar with the majority of her music until Saturday night's Huddersfield gig I now feel compelled to investigate the rest of her oeuvre. Frankly the Henry Cow set, which was what initially attracted me, was eclipsed and then some by the News From Babel and Oh Moscow material, which came as something of a revelation. Blew my bloody head off!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 14:33
I haven't been able to work out from info given on the torrent site what the overlap of players between bands was. I know that News From Babel was a side project from Henry Cow when it first apeared or certainly had a lot of overlapping members. I don't know the other 2 bands Music For Films and Oh Moscow (not sure if the first of those is actually a bandname or a description). So have wondered if there were a few musicians who were onstage throughout the whole performance. Which would be good going for septuagenarians.

Anyway the Barbican show is great and I haven't listened to the Huddersfield show which just appeared on Dime a few minutes ago.

Stevo
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2014, 14:48
Nov 25, 2014, 14:46
A guy in a Cardiacs T-shirt who I met on the way to the venue told me that the previous night at the Barbican had been pretty ropey, with lots of stops and starts. That only happened once in Huddersfield, during the 21 minutes (!) of Henry Cow. Cutler, Greaves, Frith and Hodgkinson were pretty much the house band all night, with Roelloffs, Harth and co. contributing at suitable intervals. Veryan Weston's piano and keyboard were particularly impressive. Oh yeah, and half the audience (which included a surprising number of young Japanese people) seemed to be recording it!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 14:48
THanks.
I didn't notice any great problems on the recorded version I heard. Maybe i need to relisten.

Stevo
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 14:48
Both of those were Lindsay solo releases. Oh Moscow in particular has a really beautiful sad Weill cabaret feel, but even more minimalist.

Wicked woman, and I do actually prefer Babel and Art Bears to Cow proper by quite a margin.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 14:50
Huddersfield was apparently much better than London, heard a few people say this. Would like to hear the Italian gig of the night after.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 20:24
I've just seen that the Italian date is up on Dime too now. Not heard that or Huddersfield yet.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 21:14
London was fine! The stop/starts were funny and broke the ice. Veryon Weston was very cool, as was Anne-Marie Roelofs - some of the sounds she rung from that trombone were amazing!

The atmosphere was lovely, warm and emotional - the emotions particularly kicking in when you sensed the band listening to a bassoon or oboe part that Lindsay would have played.

I thought all the material was good - no particular low point. The sound was also superb in the Barbican. I must admit I couldn't tell which band was which as they seemed to naturally morph between the various different line-ups in a very fluid manner.
Unsung Forum Index