Steve Albini on the surprisingly sturdy state of the music industry

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Re: Steve Albini on the surprisingly sturdy state of the music industry
Nov 22, 2014, 13:40
This is really good. Skip to 5.04 as the intro is rubbish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGD7aZPp0lQ
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Nov 22, 2014, 21:29
Cheers for sticking that up AQ.

Finally had the time to sit quietly and read/digest the whole piece.

I gotta say, I'm with Albini 100%. The way he spoke/wrote was informative and eridite, as always. Never worked in the music industry (other than in record shops way back, and yeah, industry reps used to flood us with commercial shit cos we had a gallup machine, even though it was an 'underground' shop).

I've never had a record released let alone recorded, I was in quite a few noise bands as a kid that really got nowhere and petered out because of lack of outlet, gigs or money to record decent demo's (probably an oxymoron for a noise band, but hey, we were young, we believed the shit we were told by the older muso's).

I think it's great that now that should I wish, I could spend a few hundred bucks on musical/recording equipment, or even nothing as there is so much freeware out there, and put my recordings up for all the world to hear should they wish.

Making money out of it might be a more difficult prospect, but hell, I've spent more on music in the last few years than at about any time in my life, be it a pound or two for a bandcamp release, or a bit more on superb vinyl from quality boutique vendors like Cardinal Fuzz or Sacred Bones (who I hope both make enough from their respective labours of love, as wanky re-sellers seem to bang them up on the bay of E for three or four times they're initial cost instantly, not in the spirit, wankers! but hey, free market and all that I get it). Saw more gigs in the last two years than at any time since my twenties (OK, the kids have grown up now, but hell, they come along usually anyhow). So yeah I gotta agree that the non corporate model can work on a smaller scale. OK if you aspire to Led Zep style millions, you're in the wrong game these days, but if you wanna make shit pop music and sell your soul to the right guys, I'm sure it's possible. (What would be the Robert Johnston crossroads equivilient these days? Not sure i know, a trip down to the local server?).

Music is as healthy if not in a healthier state than it has been for a long time. Just look in any weekend suppliment and it's crammed with gigs and festy's. And as for communing with your given main squeeze(musically speaking) how great is that?. NOt something I'm prone to do but if I were a younger fan I don't think there has ever been a better time to be a fan of smaller bands, hell some of these guys can even become your mates. My nipper is a big fan of some Busted-esque band called The Vamps, they 'chat' and text shit most days, seem to have a laugh about a lot of stuff. Seem like nice guys.

And let's be honest, forums like this are a godsend to the real music freak. Like minded peeps turning you onto your next 3 month obsession is a wonderful thing. And long may it continue. Back in the day, there were maybe 20 people who were into similar stuff to me,we relied a LOT on fanzines and music rags to get our latest fix of whoever. The amount of peeps I can chat to about music that has trebeled if not more over the years, it's a great inspiration that so many heads are out there and willing to share their passion, I love it.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2014, 03:16
Nov 23, 2014, 03:14
I'm not gonna say too much, but 4 track tape recorders were all you could do back then. I record music. I even use ZOOM now. POD is ok, but I would recommend an acoustic guitar and just singing a bit.

Why not?
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Nov 23, 2014, 19:24
Can't play guitar for toffee (that's why 'Noise') and you REALLY wouldn't wanna hear me sing, mass suicides may ensue. Mind you, these Tory tossers could do with a cleansing, so hmmmmmmm.

Never been a fan of the 'pro' musician, you know, the guy who noodles away in the corner, 5000 notes a minute. Just doesn't do it for me.

My fav' bands since way back have been plebs like Pussy Galore, Slits, Early Mekons, early Swans, Antifamily et al. Basically anyone who adheres to the less is more school of rawk. I believe it makes you think outside the box a little to accomplish what you want. Though in equal measure, It's incredibly frustrating sometimes not to be able to put your finger on what you want.

Software, samplers, drum machines and FX pedals are great levellers in that respect, can even make a useless asshole like myself sound half coherent and accomplished. Not that I've made a note in ten years or more, but been thinking of returning to dabbling of late, there's deffo something missing in my life creative wise.

Been looking at four tracks of late, but non within my budget, and not being an electrical wiz, the cheap broken ones would be a waste of money.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2014, 20:26
Nov 23, 2014, 20:06
Most people think in the same way. Most people are aware of the notes which we all use. It's the puting together which is the hard part. Easy!.

4 tracks are for people who already have them. I wouldn't buy one these days, but it allowed you to make music in your own home without restrictions. Home tech these days is just amazing and pretty cheap compared to what we had to buy before.

Get the best stuff you can afford I suppose. Imagination costs the price of a pen and some paper. Emotionally, quite difficult, but it's worth the risk I think.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2014, 21:38
Nov 23, 2014, 21:38
Cheers, Will be dabbling at the soonest :)
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2014, 22:10
Nov 23, 2014, 22:09
Go for it! The price of guitara has gone through the roof in the last 4 years. I'm glad I bought mines when I should have. You can write a song or a story with pen and paper though. Occasionally a G chord helps right enough!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2014, 22:32
Nov 23, 2014, 22:29
TBH, i'm lucky in that respect, kept all the old shit in the loft on the off chance that the kids might take up a bit of punk rock noise, nearly happened with the youngest, but not quite. still, she's in college on a music performance course under the guy who used to be in Neds Atominc Dustbin of all bands...whole 'tutor team' are in or have been in the industry to some extent or another, s'a cool place. Much better than when I was her age thay's fer sure. Just done a 50's rocknroll night the other week, each 'band' did three songs. Next up is Motown in December...let's hope there's a punk or glam one for the 70's.

I've no excuses really, On a mooch up the loft I discovered We've got drums, drum machines, synths, guitars, acoustic and electric and classical, Basses, old Atari/Amiga running cubase on some antiquated OS that probably won't work now, various shakey things (tambourines, marakas, shakers etc... Bit low on ampage, but most smaller practice amps can be had for a pittance, so will wait till after xmas and johnny has his new toy and kicks the old tech into touch and pik it up even cheaper.
TBH, dunno how much of my kit still works, but will drag it out and give it an airing and take it from there,

Always fancied a proper sampler (one better than my Yamaha VSS200).
Akai samplers can be had for about 40 quid these days on ebay, Ditto workstations like Korg M1's. Stuff that was serious money 20 odd years ago, rediculous really. Only thing that seems to have gone throug the roof s Analogue Synths, though from what I've seen, the modelling ones are almost up to the job in terms of teakery. Almost tempted to sell my SH101 and buy a coupla Korg Micro synths with the money.

Gotta pull my finger out nad stop procrastinating. I spend a small fortune on music, most of which is quite simialr in tone and intent, nothing I couldn't do myself if I applied myself, truth be told. I've already said to my missus that 2015 is the year I take off from buying music (hard as that's gonna be) as I just seem to be amassing stuff and not really paying atention to what I already have. As I write, there must be 20 or 30 discs sitting on the side unopened, waiting for me to get a minute.
Not enough minutes in the day.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 27, 2014, 11:29
Hipster duo tour with 6-piece band, crew, own lighting rig etc. Pay about £4000 each for a months work. Bitch that they lose money.

(Bob Lefsetz has his take on it)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2014, 18:26
Nov 27, 2014, 18:26
Interesting reply (you gotta watch the video for the explaination tho).
https://medium.com/@vanjajames/why-pomplamoose-spent-so-much-an-answer-and-analysis-8372f4513974
Briefly, large expenses could be construed as a tax right off (plus I guess they have a blast touring). Never heard of the outfit, imagine it's some mediocre indie slurm.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index